Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If that happens, maybe we'll hit the window for how long dealers have to hold onto FCTP cars and can buy those. What is that, 4 months?
4-6 months.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You think it was bad before. Covid keeps going like it is and things can really shut down this time.
General Motors had to shut two plants down for parts. It's bad everywhere right now.

Supply logistics is hanging on by a thread.
Same for my industry as well. We have work to do but it is taking MORE effort right now just to get the materials we need. Many places are just barely keeping it together it seems. It might be a rough winter....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think it is 4-6 month or 4000 miles, whichever comes first.
Correct.
Minimum 4 months or 4,000 miles.
Maximum 6 months or 6,000 miles.

Here was Ford's info from the call for FCTP purchases back in July.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Media / Press Drive Reviews Coming Mid-December, Deliveries Starting Dec 21 FCTP

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So they would need to get a second test drive vehicle mid next year based on those requirements.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So they would need to get a second test drive vehicle mid next year based on those requirements.
I expect that dealer allocations will open up after customer cars are scheduled. At that point, dealers can order cars for stock just like any other model.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Watching this InsideEv’s podcast, Kyle Connor from Outofspec says that he is going to get to drive the Mach E this coming week. Can’t wait to hear his review.
There was another really interesting thing in this podcast that I had not thought about. That is that BEV's, if they are not AWD, should be RWD and not FWD. I am so used to FWD being superior here in the north with the weight of the engine over the front wheels, however with a BEV and the lower COG due to the pack, along with the instant torque from the electric motor, makes FWD not only unnecessary, but actually more difficult to control in a BEV. Instant torque creates instant oversteer.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I'm sorry, but that is flat out BS. The Ford Facebook nitwit has already shown TWICE that they've let the "professional" reviewers get their hands on the car, and unless a reviewer actually bought a car they won't have any more time by mid December than they will by OKTB in November. If they can't write a well considered article in 2 weeks they need to find another job.

Sorry, but Ford needs to cut the "hurry up and wait", stonewall, delay any decisions as long as possible nonsense.

Frankly EVERYTHING they've done relating to customers so far has been a screwup:
  • Place an early reservation with us, but it won't mean a damn thing.
  • There may be a lease, there may be incentives, there may be good rates and there might not. Check back with us sometime later... we're not sure when.. we just don't really know
  • Hey, we've got a half assed scheme to sell more FE's, but it will literally take MONTHs to know anything about whether you got a car or not. We're not sure if you should cancel your existing order or not, because we aren't really sure if we are going to place an FE order for you. Enjoy playing the game of tag between the clueless Ford customer service people and the apathetic/incompetent dealer
  • Hey, here's a cool app so you can set up your car - if you're lucky enough to get a VIN from your dealer. Oh wait, it's lame and badly written
  • Make sure to learn the Fordpass app so you can do great things with your car like find charging stations and map routes. Oh wait, it's a buggy piece of crap too
  • Hey, we're going to take a few cars around to dealerships, but not tell anyone about it. While you're there, you might get a ride or you might not. You'll have to go there to find out. Oh, and the webapp to make reservations is a badly written piece of crap
  • Want to know the status of your car? great, go to out web app to see. Oh wait, you're dealer coopted your reservation? too bad, all you get to see is your dealer's contact info because the webapp is a buggy piece of crap

Apologize for the rant, but Ford needs to get out of its own way. It's not 1965 any more.

And here's what I see after getting a VIN and a build date:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Media / Press Drive Reviews Coming Mid-December, Deliveries Starting Dec 21 FCTP
You are taking everything out of proportion. You order a car in advance way before general availability, then accept that this is the way thing are going to be. Not only is not unique to Ford, this is the way product rollouts are done. The intention from the company's perspective is to ensure maximum impact when the product is available for sale. That means people who ordered early are going to have to wait. You might be frustrated, but marketing is done to maximize sales not to maximize information available to early adopters.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
Totally agree. After a week short of a year with early day of launch reservation and now a Christmas week build Ford is losing me for all the reasons you mention. I even put in a back up reservation for Bronco Sport because my confidence in Ford to successfully do OTA updates is pretty low after a year of watching their web site flounder. Sadly the Sport information flow is even worse than Mach e. To all the current and former Ford employees I know it hurts to read these types of comments, but Ford should stop with the show (too many new car announcements) and get with the go.
You order any product before general availability and that is the way things go. Don't get frustrated, it's what you signed up for.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
anytime you pre-order anything it will be like this. Be first to get or wait to test> it's really that simple. Not stepping on any toes just how it is. I guess they could have sent 2 cars to each dealer and let everyone test drive them for a month then say well now if it's ok with you we will start selling them.
Specs on phones, TVs, vehicles campers, on and on this happens.
Some states when all this was planned was not going to allow any dealers, test drives, or the mache roadshow. It was a total nightmare for any pr for anyone.

rickmendes

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended Range Space White
Occupation
Author
Country flag
Kyle Conner from Inside EVs and Out of Spec Motoring YouTube channels said last week that he will get a day with the Mach-E this week.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I expect that dealer allocations will open up after customer cars are scheduled. At that point, dealers can order cars for stock just like any other model.
Its going to be interesting to see if dealers get any allocation in Model Year 2021.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Got the "FINANCING YOUR MUSTANG MACH-E JUST GOT EASIER! YOU'RE PRE-APPROVED BY FORD CREDIT FOR UP TO $60000" Ford Credit email months ago, "Take advantage of this preapproval by bringing this offer into your authorized Ford/Lincoln Dealer by 12/31/2020."

Well THAT'S clearly not happening. Obviously I already got my build date for January, but that email was poorly thought out. ?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Its going to be interesting to see if dealers get any allocation in Model Year 2021.
Yes it will. I think most of the remaining 2021 models will be customer cars and some of those will end up as dealer stock if the customer doesnt end up taking delivery for whatever reason.

I am sure there are quite a few orphan customer cars in the schedule already.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wholeheartedly agreed. I think Ford is partially hamstrung by legacy mechanics, including the existence of Dealerships. They have to work through dealerships to some extent, and that's hopelessly fragmented.
That's why Tesla is better able to adapt to the 2020 consumer world - they're not burdened yet by bureaucracy, red tape, and middle-men.

Dealerships need to go away, and Ford needs to adopt a direct sales method and retain showrooms and service centers only. In my opinion.
Keep in mind that there still a number of states that do no allow for direct manufacturer to customer sales of motor vehicles.
Sponsored