Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Keep in mind that there still a number of states that do no allow for direct manufacturer to customer sales of motor vehicles.
Those laws need to change!
Sponsored

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, it's really bad out there right now. Some suppliers are 10 weeks behind. I really hate to say all that but things are getting ready to pop. If they shut things down for 6 weeks to 10 weeks like they are saying well................... you can figure it out.
This is a fear I have, but for every worker in the supply chain or at the plant the most important thing is their health period.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Having trouble getting onto Ford web site. Anybody else having that problem?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Yes, it's really bad out there right now. Some suppliers are 10 weeks behind. I really hate to say all that but things are getting ready to pop. If they shut things down for 6 weeks to 10 weeks like they are saying well................... you can figure it out.
So just to clarify. The people who have build dates might get pushed if shutdown, that goes for everyone and Ford cant be blamed for that. There is also a supply delay. So right now do you have enough supply to build cars until end of year? Will supply issues delay the build dates for those who already have vins and dates? (excluding the covid threat) Or is more like almost all cars are 10wks behind due to supply constraints.

Thank you in advance.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
So just to clarify. The people who have build dates might get pushed if shutdown, that goes for everyone and Ford cant be blamed for that. There is also a supply delay. So right now do you have enough supply to build cars until end of year? Will supply issues delay the build dates for those who already have vins and dates? (excluding the covid threat) Or is more like almost all cars are 10wks behind due to supply constraints.

Thank you in advance.
Most auto factories receive materials from suppliers in a "just in time" manner", so they don't have supplies on hand to build anything besides what is rolling down the line in the next couple days. A shutdown at any supplier will shutdown the entire line.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Thank you in advance.
I only partially agree with your statement that "...Ford can't be blamed for that." Every OEM is responsible for their own supply chain. Remember when Toyota production was shut down for a while after a natural disaster in Japan and it turned out that build-critical parts were being sole sourced? The disaster was not on Toyota but the sole source decision and the JIT decision definitely were. It is probably not reasonable for an OEM to anticipate and plan for the impact of a pandemic this significant but we should soon learn if Ford managed its supply chain better or worse than other OEMs. Let's hope for better.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I only partially agree with your statement that "...Ford can't be blamed for that." Every OEM is responsible for their own supply chain. Remember when Toyota production was shut down for a while after a natural disaster in Japan and it turned out that build-critical parts were being sole sourced? The disaster was not on Toyota but the sole source decision and the JIT decision definitely were. It is probably not reasonable for an OEM to anticipate and plan for the impact of a pandemic this significant but we should soon learn if Ford managed its supply chain better or worse than other OEMs. Let's hope for better.
Right but my point being is that the Ford is not to blame for a shutdown because that is not a supply issue, its the government forcing to shut down even though they have supply. In this case if a shut down of 4-6weeks occurs then my January build with march/april delivery goes all they way to june/july delivery. I can wait but those who were still expecting their car this year well the mismanagement of the pandemic just might put a wrench in those plans and some will be impatient. For the record, this is not isolated to Ford. I am hearing that many OEM's are having issues manufacturing and delivering cars. So much so that lots are getting empty again. So a forced shut fown is not good for anyone but it might be necessary.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Right but my point being is that the Ford is not to blame for a shutdown because that is not a supply issue, its the government forcing to shut down even though they have supply. In this case if a shut down of 4-6weeks occurs then my January build with march/april delivery goes all they way to june/july delivery. I can wait but those who were still expecting their car this year well the mismanagement of the pandemic just might put a wrench in those plans and some will be impatient. For the record, this is not isolated to Ford. I am hearing that many OEM's are having issues manufacturing and delivering cars. So much so that lots are getting empty again. So a forced shut fown is not good for anyone but it might be necessary.
Quite true. 6 weeks of down time probably equates to 10 weeks or longer before manufacturing returns to anything other than a snail pace. That could push deliveries way back. I have a February build. Shipping takes 2 months or more out here. 10 weeks down would push things well into the summer. All of this has serious consequences for manufacturers. Many of their customers might decide it’s not worth waiting until summer or beyond.

Hopefully everyone does what’s necessary to keep the virus in check. Cars aren’t the issue, deaths and the lasting damage the virus does to survivors is.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hopefully everyone does what’s necessary to keep the virus in check. Cars aren’t the issue, deaths and the lasting damage the virus does to survivors is.
Spot on.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Totally agree but it will be interesting to learn which OEMs did best under these awful circumstances.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Totally agree but it will be interesting to learn which OEMs did best under these awful circumstances.
The way I see it all new release and even refreshes will be a year behind. Honda just announced their "refreshed" civic. Since when do car companies announce their 2022 models in November 2020. Everybody is in a hurry but this is out of everyone's control. Id 4 was announced but guess what won't get pricing until next year and even at that seems like it will be delayed. VW also has a media embargo on that car also. Why? Because everything is delayed and there's no point in having reviews out if you can't even buy the car or even manufacture them yet.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag