Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So BMW decides to produce an electric SUV called the iX3 and of course this German car is made in China doh!

https://insideevs.com/news/447137/bmw-ix3-entered-series-production-china/
I really don't like to see how much EV production is going to china. The last thing we need is them cornering all aspects of electrification/green energy.

Exxon Mobil and the rest were so short sighted when they thought they could kill the revolution that has to come instead of embracing it and using their positions to lead the world instead of give future energy production away on a silver platter.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
And here Trump says he will bring manufacturing back to the U.S., meanwhile all car companies are going to china. Lol what a mess. All i can say is at least Ford and Tesla are making some effort to have some manufacturing done in North America even though some is from China. All the others jumped ship.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really don't like to see how much EV production is going to china. The last thing we need is them cornering all aspects of electrification/green energy.

Exxon Mobil and the rest were so short sighted when they thought they could kill the revolution that has to come instead of embracing it and using their positions to lead the world instead of give future energy production away on a silver platter.
Our public electrical utility here in Quebec is heavily invested in Battery and EV technologies. Its all public money but theyre trying hard to improve electrification because lets be honest the utility is the one to profit the most from it even though is government run. But The U.S. should follow suit. They'd be better off and more equipped or else the U.S. will fall behind everybody if they keep propping up the oil companies instead.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

It could end up being like what happened to semiconductor industry. At least key technologies like battery etc should be not as concentrated - assembly itself is not that critical but the underlying technology is

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The iX3 is not coming to the US (last time I checked, anyway), but EU and China only. The range would be too short here to really sell, so it's not an option for me against the Mach-E anyway.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It could end up being like what happened to semiconductor industry. At least key technologies like battery etc should be not as concentrated - assembly itself is not that critical but the underlying technology is
Right, and that's one of the main reasons I try to buy major purchases from US companies. It's even more important to have the engineering and R&D done here to keep competitive as a nation, and keeping the profits here doesn't hurt either. I would also like assembly to be here, but keeping the technological lead with R&D is far more crucial for future generations than an assembly plant that will be mostly automated anyway.

Asian governments and companies get it, but unfortunately the american corporate culture of only caring about the next quarter's balance sheet is rotting out our economy 1 industry at a time.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right, and that's one of the main reasons I try to buy major purchases from US companies. It's even more important to have the engineering and R&D done here to keep competitive as a nation, and keeping the profits here doesn't hurt either. I would also like assembly to be here, but keeping the technological lead with R&D is far more crucial for future generations than an assembly plant that will be mostly automated anyway.

Asian governments and companies get it, but unfortunately the american corporate culture of only caring about the next quarter's balance sheet is rotting out our economy 1 industry at a time.
I was really hoping that the Mach E was going to be manufactured here in Canada because of how our infrasturcture was built. Canadas with Ford just came in too late. Mexico i guess is the next best ghing i guess. I am even more surprised that tesla hasnt built a factory here yet but i guess our tax system just scares businesses to go to china. Since these cars being manufactured in china im assuming it just comes down to cost and thats why theyre only releasing to Europe and Asia. They want to try and rebuild there stockpiles before heading to NA. Im not sure how happy the Germans are w another german brand building in China? Will the germans warm themselves to buying this car?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I absolutely will not buy a car manufactured in China unless I have no other choice - like I have no other choice with my iPhone.

I have ZERO trust in that government not meddling in some way with the vehicle. I understand why even Ford is going there and building there - let them build there for that market. I want a car designed and assembled in North America - preferably in the US or Canada, but Mexico is OK too. Hopefully in my lifetime I never need to make the choice to buy a car manufactured totally in China.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I absolutely will not buy a car manufactured in China unless I have no other choice - like I have no other choice with my iPhone.

I have ZERO trust in that government not meddling in some way with the vehicle. I understand why even Ford is going there and building there - let them build there for that market. I want a car designed and assembled in North America - preferably in the US or Canada, but Mexico is OK too. Hopefully in my lifetime I never need to make the choice to buy a car manufactured totally in China.
Ford is building their electrics in Canada, not sure you are aware?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Ford is building their electrics in Canada, not sure you are aware?
Yes, thought I saw a news item about that. Also why I said I have no problem with Canada either. I am glad to see that Ford is doing that.
I also read or saw that at some point they plan to produce a ME in China (from the Bejing auto show). Hopefully they just sell that one IN China.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, thought I saw a news item about that. Also why I said I have no problem with Canada either. I am glad to see that Ford is doing that.
I also read or saw that at some point they plan to produce a ME in China (from the Bejing auto show). Hopefully they just sell that one IN China.
There was supposed to be a joint venture in china but the company went bankrupt so the deal fell through.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
And here Trump says he will bring manufacturing back to the U.S., meanwhile all car companies are going to china. Lol what a mess. All i can say is at least Ford and Tesla are making some effort to have some manufacturing done in North America even though some is from China. All the others jumped ship.
to be fair, VW is committing to building the ID.4 in TN. Just not yet.

Last edited:

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

I mean the entire Mach-E's "EV" bits are all outsourced as it is. It's not like Ford R&D did the battery... or the motor... or the inverter... etc. in house. I still haven't seen any indication they're willing to take the leap and fully vertically integrate.
Sponsored