Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Today I accidentally tore off my Mach-E charging door after failing to get "Plug and Charge" to work, totally my fault. I went to a nearby EA charging station at my local Walmart. I plugged the charging plug into my charge port and after a few minutes, the charger instructed me to remove the plug. I tried this a few times and same result. I tried calling the EA number on the charger but could not get through. I went inside my car to try to call FordPass for help. After trying to find a number for FordPass I decided to just go home and troubleshoot my issue there. I backed out and heard a snapping noise. It turns out that I had unplugged the charging plug as instructed but left it hanging on the charge door. I felt really stupid then and still. I am posting this hoping that nobody else will experience my f-up.
Also, as it turns out, I had not completed the last step to enable the Plug & Charge FordPass activation process. Plug and Charge worked fine after I toggled it on in FordPass. The lesson here is to read all instructions carefully.
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Today I accidentally tore off my Mach-E charging door after failing to get "Plug and Charge" to work, totally my fault. I went to a nearby EA charging station at my local Walmart. I plugged the charging plug into my charge port and after a few minutes, the charger instructed me to remove the plug. I tried this a few times and same result. I tried calling the EA number on the charger but could not get through. I went inside my car to try to call FordPass for help. After trying to find a number for FordPass I decided to just go home and troubleshoot my issue there. I backed out and heard a snapping noise. It turns out that I had unplugged the charging plug as instructed but left it hanging on the charge door. I felt really stupid then and still. I am posting this hoping that nobody else will experience my f-up.
Also, as it turns out, I had not completed the last step to enable the Plug & Charge FordPass activation process. Plug and Charge worked fine after I toggled it on in FordPass. The lesson here is to read all instructions carefully.
maan that sucks.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Oh snap.. I know I have left that door open and it gives a warning on the dash. Maybe an acknowledge before proceeding on the big screen would be nice.

Reactions: UW2

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Oh snap.. I know I have left that door open and it gives a warning on the dash. Maybe an acknowledge before proceeding on the big screen would be nice.
Yeah - locking out shifting out of "P" until you click "OK" on that warning would be nice to prevent things like this.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I'm sorry to hear about that incident. There definitely needs to be more information for owners about how to get Plug&Charge activated. I know my dealer didn't even know a whole lot other than "it's electric" and I was able to teach a few salespeople how to open the doors... none of them probably know what Plug&Charge even is, let alone how to set it up. Hopefully Ford can add "Activate Plug&Charge" to the salespeople's delivery checklist.

The fact that you have to go to a separate website that nobody tells you about to activate Plug&Charge is not intuitive in the slightest.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'm sorry to hear about that incident. There definitely needs to be more information for owners about how to get Plug&Charge activated. I know my dealer didn't even know a whole lot other than "it's electric" and I was able to teach a few salespeople how to open the doors... none of them probably know what Plug&Charge even is, let alone how to set it up. Hopefully Ford can add "Activate Plug&Charge" to the salespeople's delivery checklist.

The fact that you have to go to a separate website that nobody tells you about to activate Plug&Charge is not intuitive in the slightest.
The directions are pretty clear about how to activate Plug & Charge. I followed them and they worked fine. That said, there are a lot of directions floating around and no one place that says "to completely set up your car, follow these steps:...."

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The directions are pretty clear about how to activate Plug & Charge. I followed them and they worked fine. That said, there are a lot of directions floating around and no one place that says "to completely set up your car, follow these steps:...."
What directions, where? When I picked mine up at the dealer, I had a FordPass app that kept crashing and rebooting and wouldn't even let me set up PAAK without a reinstallation. I only found the Ford.com/connectedservices link through this forum. I never would have thought to use a web browser to set up the car, that's what FordPass is "for."

OP
OP

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah - locking out shifting out of "P" until you click "OK" on that warning would be nice to prevent things like this.
I agree that it would have been nice to have the warning you describe. I don't remember seeing (don't think I even looked at the dashboard) a warning that my charge door was open before I started backing out. Now at startup, I always get a warning that my charge door is open until I press the OK button to make the warning go away. I will be dealing with this for a while because the repair parts are back-ordered.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
My Volt chimes and warns me if the charge door is open. There must be an option for this?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've had the warning pop up a few times when I've had to move to a different station to try and find one to work correctly. I'll leave the door open and it does pop up and say charge door open. Although, I feel like there have been a few instances where it didn't say it.
Sponsored