Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-electric-suvs-poor-scores-161528101.html

Tesla, electric SUVs get poor scores from Consumer Reports
Thu, November 18, 2021, 11:15 AM
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E only electric SUV with “above average reliability” says Consumer Reports 4fe966382b6d7736e6110cd0de8d7bbe

FILE PHOTO: A Tesla Model 3 electric vehicle is shown in Moscow

By Joseph White

(Reuters) -Vehicles from Tesla Inc and electric sport utilities from rival brands are among the least reliable models sold in the United States, a reflection of the risks of new technology, Consumer Reports said on Thursday.

Consumer Reports, a nonprofit organization that evaluates products and services, said Tesla, the world's most valuable automaker, ranked 27th out of 28 brands, just ahead of Ford Motor Co's Lincoln brand.

"Electric SUVs as a vehicle category is the absolute bottom in terms of reliability," Consumer Reports director of vehicle testing Jake Fisher said Thursday during a presentation to the Detroit Automotive Press Association.

Among electric SUVs, Fisher said Ford Motor Co's Mustang Mach-E "is the only one with above-average reliability."

Consumer Reports recommends the Tesla Model 3 sedan and rates its reliability as "average." But Fisher said the rest of Tesla's vehicles are below average.

The popular Model Y SUV, Tesla's best-selling vehicle, has problems with poorly fitting body panels, leaks and issues with its climate control, Fisher said.

The larger Model X SUV "still has problems with the falcon wing doors," Fisher said.

Consumer Reports has been critical of Tesla's Autopilot and Full Self Driving automated driving systems. Fisher said Consumer Reports still has concerns that drivers will rely too much on technology that cannot safely take over driving, but that did not factor into the reliability scores.

"Full Self Driving is not full self-driving at all," Fisher said. "It's a convenience feature."

Electric vehicle drive systems, or powertrains, are not the main source of problems, Fisher said. The issues reported by owners are with other features.

Manufacturers "are using EVs as a technological test bed," Fisher said. "Those are the things that go wrong."

The top-ranked brand overall in the survey was Lexus, and eight of the ten top-scoring brands were Japanese. That continues a long-running trend.

Among brands owned by Detroit automakers, Buick was the only one in the top ten, in fifth place.
The Buick Envision, which is assembled in China, was the most reliable compact luxury SUV in the Consumer Reports survey.
Sponsored

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
" Among electric SUVs, Fisher said Ford Motor Co's Mustang Mach-E "is the only one with above-average reliability."

That's honestly pretty amazing given that it would be based on first model year, add to that the recalls that have come up, seems to indicate that overall even with those teething issues the Mach E is still scoring above average. Gives me a lot of hope for our 2022 MME order being likely problem free, or at least with the larger stuff worked out.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Unexplainedbacon

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT hopeful
Country flag
The article highlights Tesla's build issues and I know lots of EV's have unreliable infotainment systems (The Volvo one seems especially buggy) but for me reliability lives and dies on powertrain. Software issues can be fixed and even minor electrical problems addressed but battery and motor issues are what most people (including me) are really afraid of.

The long warranty is cool and helps alleviate that but I think the promise of longevity beyond ICE vehicles is going to really cement EV's.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The article highlights Tesla's build issues and I know lots of EV's have unreliable infotainment systems (The Volvo one seems especially buggy) but for me reliability lives and dies on powertrain. Software issues can be fixed and even minor electrical problems addressed but battery and motor issues are what most people (including me) are really afraid of.
Two things I never heard about on Tesla forums when I owned the Model Y - powertrain or supercharger issues. It's all about the panel gaps, missing USB ports, phantom braking, or water leaks. Tesla is the "Toyota of EVs" - they are kinda boring and safe. I didn't want to be part of the Yet Another White Tesla club so I traded it in.

The ID.4... yeah.. it's daily problems about the battery coolant pump. I even encountered electrical issues in my ownership. If that car isn't at the bottom of reliability then CR is biased.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
" Among electric SUVs, Fisher said Ford Motor Co's Mustang Mach-E "is the only one with above-average reliability."

That's honestly pretty amazing given that it would be based on first model year, add to that the recalls that have come up, seems to indicate that overall even with those teething issues the Mach E is still scoring above average. Gives me a lot of hope for our 2022 MME order being likely problem free, or at least with the larger stuff worked out.
I am knocking HARD on wood as I type this, but my MME 4X Premium, built in early July, has been fantastic thus far over about 3,000 miles with the only exception being poor navigation routing from the built-in stack over the last mile for three different addresses now. The hardware has been fantastic (again, knocking on wood). I use PAAK exclusively, and Apple CarPlay most of the time. It’s just been absolutely fantastic.

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The part I find most interesting is that if you search Mach E reliability in google the only search items returned are articles about how unreliable Tesla was rated. Why are media outlets not giving other great EVs there due and what’s with this obsession over Tesla being the only EV company people care about?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Well, this CR reporter has just ruined their career at CR. I’m pretty sure it’s a career-ending move at CR to say anything positive, or to give good ratings to any vehicle made by a legacy Detroit manufacturer. ???

TAPe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT, Mustang GT convertible, BRONCO
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am knocking HARD on wood as I type this, but my MME 4X Premium, built in early July, has been fantastic thus far over about 3,000 miles with the only exception being poor navigation routing from the built-in stack over the last mile for three different addresses now. The hardware has been fantastic (again, knocking on wood). I use PAAK exclusively, and Apple CarPlay most of the time. It’s just been absolutely fantastic.
You are describing our car until recently. It is also an MME 4X Premium that was delivered in February. It has approximately 3700 miles. The hardware in ours has been fantastic but unfortunately it has now been sitting at our dealership‘s service department more than three weeks due to the car not being able to update its software. (See the 1.7.1 update stuck thread) Ford’s engineers finally decided last Thursday to replace the car’s APIM to see if that will fix the problem. We’re now waiting on the part and hoping that we will get our car back soon. Unfortunately, this entire experience has us questioning the MME’s reliability even though it has been a joy to drive. So all MME owners knock on wood and good luck!

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The part I find most interesting is that if you search Mach E reliability in google the only search items returned are articles about how unreliable Tesla was rated. Why are media outlets not giving other great EVs there due and what’s with this obsession over Tesla being the only EV company people care about?
Sadly so much is about getting hot search terms in your articles as much as possible so the article ranks high on search results. That the Mach E may be the better vehicle doesn't matter when the public likes to read about Tesla, either good or bad.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Well, this CR reporter has just ruined their career at CR. I’m pretty sure it’s a career-ending move at CR to say anything positive, or to give good ratings to any vehicle made by a legacy Detroit manufacturer. ???
the most recent Talking Cars podcast was almost entirely about the C8 Corvette and they were kind of falling all over themselves about how great the car was. it was interesting that they were like "oh yeah the controls suck and the visibility sucks and the lack of safety options sucks but anyway" when the absolutely hammer other vehicles on that kind of thing - and they even admitted they were being kind of silly about it but it's just so fast and fun that they didn't care. was really interesting to see that particular take from them.

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
Typical click bait sites... Lead with the bad news, not the good (Mach-e) news

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are describing our car until recently. It is also an MME 4X Premium that was delivered in February. It has approximately 3700 miles. The hardware in ours has been fantastic but unfortunately it has now been sitting at our dealership‘s service department more than three weeks due to the car not being able to update its software. (See the 1.7.1 update stuck thread) Ford’s engineers finally decided last Thursday to replace the car’s APIM to see if that will fix the problem. We’re now waiting on the part and hoping that we will get our car back soon. Unfortunately, this entire experience has us questioning the MME’s reliability even though it has been a joy to drive. So all MME owners knock on wood and good luck!
Still seems like yours has been pretty problem free, it just isn't able to take an OTA update, but is driveable and usable. That problem is more like not being able to use the memory function for your seats or something, annoying but hardly preventing general vehicle use.

I am surprised they are keeping your car though. My '21 F-150 wasn't taking a Sync update they tried to apply and they gave it back to me until they heard back from the Ford hotline. They want it back December 1st now that they were given things to try, but they didn't keep it while they figured that out. I can't imagine them just having it sit on their lot from last week through December 1st (at least) doing nothing while they waited for word from Ford.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla is the only EV most people have heard of.