Mach E or VW Id.4

OreckBolt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy Bolt, 2014 Honda Accord
Country flag
As you can tell by my name I have a Chevy Bolt (2020 Bolt Premiere). Our second car is a 2014 Honda Accord and will trade it in sometime this year. We are taking a hit for some IRS taxes on unexpected income and would like to buy another EV in order to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit. We already have an L2 setup in the garage. The choice is really between the Mach E and the VW ID.4. In my 50 years of driving I had never owned a Chevy before but took a chance on the Bolt and I think for the money it is good value. 25,000 miles later I have had zero problems with it. I did own a Ford once (Taurus in the late '80s and it was garbage).
I have been lurking on this forum as well as the VW forums.
It sounds to me like the Mach E was not ready for prime time based on what I consider some of the serious problems folks are having. I read about some of the VW problems but they don't sound as numerous or serious.
Any thoughts from Mach E owners would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
What's your timeframe? There's some interesting stuff coming out soon too like the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5.

How quickly you need it too could be a factor, you can probably head down to VW and buy an ID.4 right now, but the MME is back-logged at least 24+ weeks

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
First off @OreckBolt20 , welcome to the forum!

Hands down, I love the car! Its practically everything I could wish for (except maybe a few more inches of ground clearance). It convinced me to switch from ICE after a couple of exhilarating test drives.

Software is a bit more complicated..FordPass as you'll see along with PAAK can range from vexing to spectacular depending on the luck of the draw. Not shipping out with an additional fob has been my biggest frustration thus far. The tendency to default to engage mode in high heat/humidity is also more than slightly annoying, but I now know to expect it courtesy of the fine folks here.

I haven't noticed build quality issues with Scotty, but I'm just one person. I hope this helps!

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
To me that choice really boils down to the "look" of the drivers console. I think the VW is just a little tacky and lame, similar to my complaint on the Tesla. Can't rule out one for that issue without the other.

OP
OP

OreckBolt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's your timeframe? There's some interesting stuff coming out soon too like the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5.

How quickly you need it too could be a factor, you can probably head down to VW and buy an ID.4 right now, but the MME is back-logged at least 24+ weeks
The time frame would be at the end of the year so I can take advantage of the tax credit. The cars you mentioned do sound interesting but I live in Florida so they probably won't be sold here. There appears to be plenty of MME's sitting on lots within 100 miles of me.

Last edited:

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
It's a first-year vehicle (and so is the ID.4). Mechanically it's quite sound. I've run into a couple of software issues (since resolved via software updates ... and very quickly) and expect those to become fewer and fewer over time.

Someone getting a car built today would not run into these issues because those cars would come with updates already applied.

I was at the EA charger last week and it was the first time I saw an ID.4 in person. But that's just me "looking" a car ... not driving it. Everything I've learned about the car is watching videos on YouTube by car reviewers vs. what I know about the Mach-E through 6+ months of ownership.

When you go to a car owner website, you're *going* to encounter posts about problems ... because that's where go for help. People who aren't having any problems don't have as much reason to seek out these forums and post.

The Mach-E is very sporty ... the ID.4 isn't. So while I realize some people tend to compare the cars ... they aren't quite meant to provide the same ownership experience.

I love my Mach-E and am really happy I went with it. To be honest the ID.4 was not yet for sale when I got my Mach-E. But even if it were available, I'd have still chosen the Mach-E. I love the looks, I love the technology, I love the performance, I love driving it.

az-paco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Prius, '21 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Good questions. We test drove an ID.4 a couple weeks before test driving an MME. After the ID.4 experience, we were ready to order one (they were not readily available on the lot at the time). Once we drove the MME, we definitely preferred the MME, mostly because it is a more exhilarating experience and we like the style of Mustang (the ID.4 kind of blends-in compared to other SUVs).

The next consideration was price. We knew we would need to pay full MSRP (or at least X-Plan or VW F&F) for both. A fully-loaded ID.4, with 250 miles range, is less expensive than the 230 mile range Premium SR RWD MME.

In the end, we chose to order an MME, though I may end up with an ID.4 some time in the future, or possibly a larger ID.6 or ID.8 when those become available.

OP
OP

OreckBolt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To me that choice really boils down to the "look" of the drivers console. I think the VW is just a little tacky and lame, similar to my complaint on the Tesla. Can't rule out one for that issue without the other.
Agreed that the look of the VW is a bit lame but it doesn't bother me. After all I have a Bolt and am over 65 years old.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
In my "giant spreadsheet of EV options" comparison, they came out pretty close. For me, the MME won on range, available AWD (id.4 AWD isn't out yet, I don't think), power, and surprisingly, cargo capacity (if you include the MME's frunk). Styling and overall "feel" of the vehicle was better on the MME as well.

The id.4 won on ground clearance, available factory tow package, and slightly on price.

If you need/want AWD and a little more power, and care about the "feel" of your cars, then the MME is the winner. If you value the ground clearance or towing, and don't need AWD or power, then the id.4 is a good choice.

As far as problems, a lot more MMEs have shipped than id4s. Both are first year, and both will have some issues. So far Ford seems to be taking care of their bumps in the road, and my car built in May hasn't had many of the issues reported from earlier builds.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I carefully considered all options for months, including the ID.4, before purchasing my Mach-E. Three months in, I would make the same decision, as I really love it.

I reserved an ID.4 (AWD) and test drove the RWD model. I liked it a lot, and thought it drove quicker than the specs said it would, although that is typical for EVs.

The main things that tipped it to the Mach-E were:
1. sportier vibe, better acceleration, more fun to drive
2. looks
3. 1-pedal driving
4. BlueCruise option coming

The AWD version of the ID.4 is a better match to the Mach-E, but it has been delayed. I still would prefer the Ford, although I'm sure I would have been very happy with an AWD ID.4.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think the biggest practical difference for most people in comparing these two vehicles would be what do you want your car to look like. If you want a louder looking more noticeable vehicle, the Mach-E is the way to go. If you find that annoying and want something a bit more inconspicuous, the ID.4 looks like a pretty typical small SUV. I would think the Mustang over all drives somewhat sportier than the ID.4 though.

Clicker

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The time frame would be at the end of the year so I can take advantage of the tax credit. The cars you mentioned do sound interesting but I live in Florida so they probably won't be sold here. There appears to be plenty of MME's sitting on lots within 100 miles of me.
Seeing them on dealer websites and actually being on the lot are not the same. For instance my MME was on my dealer website a month before it was actually delivered. Plus it was my ordered car and not for sale. If you think the car is on the lot you better actually touch it or it isn't there or available for sale.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I think someone just mentioned this as well but the stuff on the dealer websites isn't really valid, some are like in-shipment to other customers, it's weird how Ford lists those in inventory.

If you want it by the end of 2021 there is almost a 0% chance you'd be able to get a Mach-E by ordering. You'd have to stalk inventory and maybe get a cancellation or demo

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I would say the bolt is better than the id.4, but that doesn't get the tax credit and if you really want that rebate to absorb your taxes...

The AWD version of the id.4 should be out soon. That might be acceptable, but otherwise I would definitely recommend the mach e (even if rwd version) over the rwd id.4. The rwd id.4 has slower acceleration than the bolt, lower range, etc... IMHO, the rwd id.4 is not worth the price over the bolt, even if you take $7500 off.

Many things coming out next year, and you might be able to get a 2022 something in November/December, not sure the exact timing of the 2022 models that have been announced.

One other vehicle you might want to consider if you have this year is the volvo XC40 recharge p8. It's price is a little more (only a couple thousand) than a similar spec mach e, but not as expensive as some of the other EV options. I haven't test driven Volvo's, so can't say for sure if it's worth the small bump in price.
Sponsored