eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Didn't want to wait and, frankly, I've been happy with my decision.
What's the point of putting down a reservation if, after waiting two years, the manufacturer says I either have to increase deposit and make it non-refundable for a car sight-unseen or wait another year like you did to buy it like anyone else can at that point?
Nope. I hope that Ford gives priority to those willing to put down a deposit for reservation without later trying to force them to either risk a non-refundable $2,500 or wait another year to take later delivery.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Agreed. It's the difference between buying a car from a car company and buying one from an IT company. Ford may botch things sometimes but they have over a century of experience with things like seats for cars.

MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
I had hoped there would have been some independent reviews by now but with the virus intervention these will get pushed back even further. I may revisit the MM3 next year but for now, I‘ve cancelled my preorder. Hopefully, trade-in valuations will have improved by then as well

FWE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 520D Land Rover Evoque
Country flag
First delivery of the Mach E will be to Europe. Europe has a severe CO2 emission policy meaning that the whole fleet of sold cars of a Manufacturer must have an average emission of 95 g/km . If a manufactur does not meet this level, a huge penalty applies . That is why Tesla sold its emission rights to Renault.
EVs with a zero emission largely contribute to decrease the average of the whole fleet and so avoiding large penalties.
This means Ford will try to deliver as much as possible cars in Europe in 2020 to meet the required average emission levels of its whole fleet.

In addition there is a specific tax regulation in the Netherlands making the car much more expensive in 2021. In the Netherlands 2000 cars are ordered and promised to be delivered in 2020. If not, many customers are entitled to cancel their contract. Ford will try to avoid this I assume.

FWE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The binding emission targets for manufacturers are set according to the average mass of their vehicles, using a limit value curve. This means that manufacturers of heavier cars are allowed higher emissions than manufacturers of lighter cars. The curve is set in such a way that the targets for the EU fleet-wide average emissions are achieved.

In 2020, the emission targets will apply for each manufacturer’s 95% least emitting new cars. From 2021 onward, the average emissions of all newly registered cars of a manufacturer will have to be below the target.

A phase-in period will also apply to the target of 95 g/km. In 2020, the emission targets will apply for each manufacturer’s 95% least emitting new cars. From 2021 on, the average emissions of all newly registered cars of a manufacturer will have to be below the target.

If the average CO2 emissions of a manufacturer's fleet exceed its target in a given year, the manufacturer has to pay an excess emissions premium for each car registered.

the penalty is €95 for each g/km of target exceedance.
Ford sells about 1 million cars per year in Europe so the potential penalty is huge: about 100 million euro per gram excess.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
In addition there is a specific tax regulation in the Netherlands making the car much more expensive in 2021. In the Netherlands 2000 cars are ordered and promised to be delivered in 2020. If not, many customers are entitled to cancel their contract. Ford will try to avoid this I assume.
That is huge and may be the reason Ford-Netherlands is requiring binding order agreements. I'm not saying I agree with them doing so, just that this may be the reason.

FWE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed. They try to sell and register as much as possible EVs in Europe this year to avoid huge penalties. And in Europe, the Netherlands is one of the largest EV markets due to tax regulations and relative good charging infrastructure.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

FWE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems that they are not chancing the rules of the game due to Corona according to an interview last week with Bram Schot, ex CEO of Audi.
These penalties are the main reason for manufacturers to push EVs to Europe.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Seems that they are not chancing the rules of the game due to Corona according to an interview last week with Bram Schot, ex CEO of Audi.
These penalties are the main reason for manufacturers to push EVs to Europe.
Complicating all that will be the dramatic drop in demand for automobiles in 2020 left in the wake of the economic carnage from virus shutdowns. Hard to tell what effect that will have on the mix. It'll hurt sales of all new vehicles, but some more than others. Which will affect those percentages.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
Where are you getting this "Fact" from ?
Sponsored