sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
  • The fastback illusion caused by the black upper roof portion worked well with the non-black car. Of course that illusion doesn't work with the black car, and I'm glad I picked red instead.
I've been curious about this since I first learned of this effect. I have a black car on order, and I'm worried it will look "chunky" in black because of the loss of the "illusion".

That being said, in one of the webex presentations Ford did a few weeks ago, they mentioned that this illusion works on all colors, and they specifically mentioned that it's still there even on black Mach-Es.

I'm curious how much of a difference you've noticed if they had a black car there to compare it to.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've been curious about this since I first learned of this effect. I have a black car on order, and I'm worried it will look "chunky" in black because of the loss of the "illusion".

That being said, in one of the webex presentations Ford did a few weeks ago, they mentioned that this illusion works on all colors, and they specifically mentioned that it's still there even on black Mach-Es.

I'm curious how much of a difference you've noticed if they had a black car there to compare it to.
I guess the effect is in the eye of the beholder, but to me the black looked less like a fastback and more like a "typical" crossover. It is certainly less prominent since the roof line is set back an inch or two from the pillar, but it definitely did not have the same effect to my eyes.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Yup, it’s redundancy upon redundancy in the Mach-E. I guess it gives you a last resort if you never set a PIN code and never paired a phone.
I love redundancy and also, redundancy is good. One of the main features of the MME I like, as a matter of fact, is redundancy or to put it another way, multiple things that do the same thing.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I believe most of us won't even carry the key fob.
I will: I'll feel "naked" without a wad of keys in my pocket ?

On cars with a numeric keypad my father would just leave the keyfob in the door pocket all the time.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I believe most of us won't even carry the key fob.
I will. Because. And get off my grass! ;)

Actually, I'll leave it behind as soon as I'm used to having it unlock with the phone and decide that's just as reliable.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My wife will carry the FOB, she has no phone. ?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My wife will carry the FOB, she has no phone. ?
Biggest mistake I ever made was talking her into buying a smartphone. The thing is attached to her hand and her brain at all times. Yes, even then :)

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Biggest mistake I ever made was talking her into buying a smartphone. The thing is attached to her hand and her brain at all times. Yes, even then :)
In fairness, she might say you are equally attached to the Mach-E Forum.