John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I love redundancy and also, redundancy is good. One of the main features of the MME I like, as a matter of fact, is redundancy or to put it another way, multiple things that do the same thing.
I too like redundancy.

I too like redundancy.

There is another joke here about the fob, but I am passing it up as this is a family forum. ;)
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
It's always the FOB. FOB has priority.
I would hope that the system is pretty complex/intuitive. It should be able to know exactly what "keys" (phones or fobs) are around/inside the vehicle when unlocking/locking/starting. Let's say you have a fob and phone on you - you unlock the car, get inside, and drive. You park, and leave the fob inside the car, locking it as you leave. It would know that the fob was still inside when you locked it, so you wouldn't be able to unlock with that fob when you returned. Same for the phone if you left that inside instead.

This is just my guess though, but I guess we'll find out soon enough how it all works. I am curious though, there doesn't seem to be any button on the door to lock the car, correct? I think it supports an auto lock/unlock function, but I'm very used to pressing the button on my car door handle whenever I exit, and I like knowing that it's definitely locked.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I would hope that the system is pretty complex/intuitive. It should be able to know exactly what "keys" (phones or fobs) are around/inside the vehicle when unlocking/locking/starting. Let's say you have a fob and phone on you - you unlock the car, get inside, and drive. You park, and leave the fob inside the car, locking it as you leave. It would know that the fob was still inside when you locked it, so you wouldn't be able to unlock with that fob when you returned. Same for the phone if you left that inside instead.

This is just my guess though, but I guess we'll find out soon enough how it all works. I am curious though, there doesn't seem to be any button on the door to lock the car, correct? I think it supports an auto lock/unlock function, but I'm very used to pressing the button on my car door handle whenever I exit, and I like knowing that it's definitely locked.
I wonder if the door unlock/open button is also a lock button?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Interesting point about the FOB being left in the car. I intended to leave the fob in the glovebox inside a faraday bag for those rare times that I valet. For general use my phone will be my key.

I wonder if the faraday bag will be unnecessary then?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Interesting point about the FOB being left in the car. I intended to leave the fob in the glovebox inside a faraday bag for those rare times that I valet. For general use my phone will be my key.

I wonder if the faraday bag will be unnecessary then?
A "Faraday Cage" bag would be required.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
How will you know if it’s the PAAK or the FOB when you carry both?
Oh stop being so practical. ;)

The problem is I don’t bring my cellphone everywhere. So I might end up using the FIB primarily. We shall see.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag

I am not certain, but I think it will be extremely difficult to lock your FOB in your vehicle without putting it in a Faraday cage.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I am curious though, there doesn't seem to be any button on the door to lock the car, correct? I think it supports an auto lock/unlock function, but I'm very used to pressing the button on my car door handle whenever I exit, and I like knowing that it's definitely locked.
I'd guess it's the padlock icon that's just above the open button and just below the numeric keypad.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I am not certain, but I think it will be extremely difficult to lock your FOB in your vehicle without putting it in a Faraday cage.
Seems like existing Ford's were able to lock their keyfob in the car by using the keypad on the door pillar. I'd assume something similar may work for the Mach-E, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Nav

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Seems like existing Ford's were able to lock their keyfob in the car by using the keypad on the door pillar. I'd assume something similar may work for the Mach-E, but we'll just have to wait and see.
On current vehicles, absolutely. I have done this myself a few times at (protected, monitored) airport parking, before I bought a third "have it with me all the time in my backpack" keyfob.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You can also just remove the battery from the fob and keep both in a baggie in the console. Car won't "see" the fob without the battery.
Reassemble if needed. That's what I do with my spare fob. Anyone know if the MME comes wirh 2 fobs like most cars?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
You can also just remove the battery from the fob and keep both in a baggie in the console. Car won't "see" the fob without the battery.
Reassemble if needed. That's what I do with my spare fob. Anyone know if the MME comes wirh 2 fobs like most cars?
I don't know, but it would be bizarre and very unusual for it not to... generally Ford includes two and makes you have both to self-program a third (e.g. off fleaBay).

which, if you care about fobs (on this car, it feels unlikely), you should do before you need a new one and have to pay a dealer a mortgage payment to program it for you.
Sponsored