Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
Here in Maine, our (standard battery RWD) Mach E has considerably less range in winter. When it's 18 degrees outside, the cabin heater takes noticeably more battery power. We get 230 miles or so in summer, 170 or so in winter. Too bad that Ford did not develop a heat pump system for this vehicle. Considering the low daily mileage that you need, you should be OK, but we will be watching this space to see how your Mach E cruiser performs. Kudos to your Department for taking the leap!
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
We get 230 miles or so in summer, 170 or so in winter.
Is that based on what the estimated range (guess-o-meter) says, or actual driving distance divided by battery percentage used (or better computed mi/kwh)?

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
Is that based on what the estimated range (guess-o-meter) says, or actual driving distance divided by battery percentage used (or better computed mi/kwh)?
Yeah, fair point - it's the G.O.M.! Definitely lower mi/kwh, though - based on battery percentage.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, fair point - it's the G.O.M.! Definitely lower mi/kwh, though - based on battery percentage.
Sure, but I would wager that your decrease isn't as bad as the GOM says.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You may also want to disable the vehicle's idle shut off. If the Mach-E remains on for 30 minutes without anything happening, the default is for the vehicle to shut itself off. You can access this setting by going to Settings -> Vehicle -> Vehicle Power Down Timer (turn it off).
This is really important because the low voltage (12V) battery (LVB) will not last long if the car shuts off and it runs in accessory mode. And if the LVB dies the car cannot be started or driven. When I first learned about that it was a shock because I just assumed the LVB would always be charged from the HVB. Apparently that is not the case. And I was also shocked there is even a need for a LVB!

@Jlaw276 very interested to see how it works out for you. Good luck!

Reactions: ARK

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
I'm still waiting on my MachE, but I drive a Bolt for years. Even on hot days the AC only drew less than 1kw of power. At that rate the car would run for a few days on a MachE battery. Heat will be worse, but I don't expect you will have major issues.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is really important because the low voltage (12V) battery (LVB) will not last long if the car shuts off and it runs in accessory mode. And if the LVB dies the car cannot be started or driven. When I first learned about that it was a shock because I just assumed the LVB would always be charged from the HVB. Apparently that is not the case. And I was also shocked there is even a need for a LVB!

@Jlaw276 very interested to see how it works out for you. Good luck!
Right, so as long as he keeps it "on" instead of in accessory mode he should be fine.

rcpd34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium
Country flag
If Ford finds out about it they will likely get a cease and desist letter from Ford. Our local agency got one. They put it through it's paces on the track and within 15 minutes the dash was lit up with codes and warnings. The Select was never intended for severe duty use as a patrol car. Ford has a Pilot Program based on the GT and my guess they will offer a police package MME in a few years.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Lucky you!

Don't worry about leaving heat a/c on when parked, it will use a fraction of what it would consume rolling around. You will have to leave the vehicle 'on' to power all your gear without drain on the little 12v battery.... and you'll need to change the vehicle setting to disable the 'automatic timeout' every time.... this setting will not 'stick' off:
Settings -> Vehicle -> Vehicle Power Down Timer (turn it off).

Also be aware that high-speed chase speed will have a hard cap at 112 mph.

OP
OP
Jlaw276

Jlaw276

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SE
Country flag
Lucky you!

Don't worry about leaving heat a/c on when parked, it will use a fraction of what it would consume rolling around. You will have to leave the vehicle 'on' to power all your gear without drain on the little 12v battery.... and you'll need to change the vehicle setting to disable the 'automatic timeout' every time.... this setting will not 'stick' off:
Settings -> Vehicle -> Vehicle Power Down Timer (turn it off).

Also be aware that high-speed chase speed will have a hard cap at 112 mph.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I am a patrol commander I don't get into to many high speed chases anymore. I just pull my hair out over them. LOL I will keep you guys informed on how it goes. Right now I am still waiting on lights for the vehicle.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Yeah I am a patrol commander I don't get into to many high speed chases anymore. I just pull my hair out over them. LOL I will keep you guys informed on how it goes. Right now I am still waiting on lights for the vehicle.

Our local law enforcement discourages high speed pursuits since they almost always end up in accidents with injuries..... they just radio ahead and set up stops.

It will be interesting to hear what your shop guys think of the access to the 12v power they will need to install all your lights and other equipment.... They will have to pull the beauty panels, and probably the 'Frunk Tub' to get to the fuse box and add circuits for all your stuff.....

OP
OP
Jlaw276

Jlaw276

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E SE
Country flag
Okay I promised an update. I wanted to wait until I had some seat time in this awesome vehicle. I have been live now for 2 months and 2200 miles. I get so many compliments about the vehicle daily. People wanting pictures, looking inside and of course the usual questions. How long does it take to charge? What if you run out of battery charge? and of course is it fast? In regards to the last question I just usually quote Pretty Woman and say it corners like its on rails.

Well here is my review on this car as a daily use patrol vehicle. First off I am so glad I got this vehicle in the dead of winter. It has given me a better understanding of EV battery performance in cold weather months. Funny thing is I picked the vehicle up on January 5th and on the 6th we had a snow storm. I still had my Durango so I whimped out and drove it. This is the select package without heated seats and steering wheel, standard battery and rear wheel drive.

Things I like:
  • #1 of course is performance. For a police vehicle it is very responsive, steering is tight, good turning radius. Bottom end speed as expected is awesome the top end needs a little improvement, but in reality where I work I don't need it.
  • The ride is very comfortable including the seat. I fit fine with my duty gear on. I had to move things around to exit the vehicle properly. I have the seat a little further back then I am use to and I pushed the telescoping steering wheel all the way in.
  • All my gear fits in the vehicle so there is no issues there. I use the rear and of course the frunk.
  • I can see out of the vehicle fine no view obstructions.
  • The center display is nice after learning how to navigate it.
Things I don't Like:
  • This does not have the extended battery. I believe that is a must. Just so I am not looking and worried about that damn GOM all the time.
  • Heated seats and steering wheel are a must.
  • Vehicle Power Down Timer needs to be an option you can permanently disable.
  • I have PAAK set up. and walk away lock enabled If I don't shut the car down and walk away with the phone in my hand the horn beeps twice. I can not figure out how to turn that off. I have messed with the settings and still can not get that turned off. Its not very tactical.
  • The back up camera is low grade compared to other vehicles.

Questions I need help with.
  • The walking away horn issue mentioned above
  • Low Voltage battery warnings. It is usually when I start out in the morning. It has only happened a couple times. Just so you know The installers put a timer kill switch on all the police equipment installed. They turn off after an hour if the car is not in the on position. When I park for the evening I turn everything off anyways. How does the LVB charge?
  • Over the last week I have had an issue with my Instrument Cluster. It does not appear to be powering down all the way. When I shut the vehicle off and exit there seems to be a back light is remaining on inside the cluster. This has not always been that way. I have came out in the morning and the light is still on. I am hoping this does not affect my LVB. I have added a picture to this. Sorry the pic is not really good it was pouring down rain. But you can see the light is on and had been all night. Also the cluster is warm to the touch.
  • Updates. I keep reading about people getting there Over the Air updates. I don't think I have had any updates. Automatic Updates are turned on and I have the scheduled updates set for 0100 on Monday mornings. I the car connected to my mobile hotspot which is in the vehicle and I rarely turn that off. How do I make sure it gets an update and how do I check what version I am currently running. It says my system is up-to-date.
  • Charging: I find myself wanting to keep this car charged everyday. I get home around 60-70 percent battery remaining. I may either charge at home or charge first thing at work the next morning trying to get it as close to 90%. I start my work week out with a full charge then a just charge when I can during the week. the lowest I have been is about 45%. I don't like starting my work day under 80%. Should I occasionally run this down to say 15-20 percent.
Overall I love this vehicle. For daily police work for someone that does under 100 miles a day there is no concerns. It is one of the best responsive police vehicles I have been in. Its comfortable and I think it looks great. There is plenty of space for equipment. So I give it a thumbs up.

CF056CBF-51FF-46DE-B181-4CFD4F9455A6.jpeg

16F5410C-A859-4251-B6F0-432617AB38C4.jpeg

459E5BA9-A61B-4C34-A6B5-E3265D343027.jpeg

Lukeh02

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14’ Taurus (21’ Mustang ME)
Country flag
Okay I promised an update. I wanted to wait until I had some seat time in this awesome vehicle. I have been live now for 2 months and 2200 miles. I get so many compliments about the vehicle daily. People wanting pictures, looking inside and of course the usual questions. How long does it take to charge? What if you run out of battery charge? and of course is it fast? In regards to the last question I just usually quote Pretty Woman and say it corners like its on rails.

Well here is my review on this car as a daily use patrol vehicle. First off I am so glad I got this vehicle in the dead of winter. It has given me a better understanding of EV battery performance in cold weather months. Funny thing is I picked the vehicle up on January 5th and on the 6th we had a snow storm. I still had my Durango so I whimped out and drove it. This is the select package without heated seats and steering wheel, standard battery and rear wheel drive.

Things I like:
  • #1 of course is performance. For a police vehicle it is very responsive, steering is tight, good turning radius. Bottom end speed as expected is awesome the top end needs a little improvement, but in reality where I work I don't need it.
  • The ride is very comfortable including the seat. I fit fine with my duty gear on. I had to move things around to exit the vehicle properly. I have the seat a little further back then I am use to and I pushed the telescoping steering wheel all the way in.
  • All my gear fits in the vehicle so there is no issues there. I use the rear and of course the frunk.
  • I can see out of the vehicle fine no view obstructions.
  • The center display is nice after learning how to navigate it.
Things I don't Like:
  • This does not have the extended battery. I believe that is a must. Just so I am not looking and worried about that damn GOM all the time.
  • Heated seats and steering wheel are a must.
  • Vehicle Power Down Timer needs to be an option you can permanently disable.
  • I have PAAK set up. and walk away lock enabled If I don't shut the car down and walk away with the phone in my hand the horn beeps twice. I can not figure out how to turn that off. I have messed with the settings and still can not get that turned off. Its not very tactical.
  • The back up camera is low grade compared to other vehicles.

Questions I need help with.
  • The walking away horn issue mentioned above
  • Low Voltage battery warnings. It is usually when I start out in the morning. It has only happened a couple times. Just so you know The installers put a timer kill switch on all the police equipment installed. They turn off after an hour if the car is not in the on position. When I park for the evening I turn everything off anyways. How does the LVB charge?
  • Over the last week I have had an issue with my Instrument Cluster. It does not appear to be powering down all the way. When I shut the vehicle off and exit there seems to be a back light is remaining on inside the cluster. This has not always been that way. I have came out in the morning and the light is still on. I am hoping this does not affect my LVB. I have added a picture to this. Sorry the pic is not really good it was pouring down rain. But you can see the light is on and had been all night. Also the cluster is warm to the touch.
  • Updates. I keep reading about people getting there Over the Air updates. I don't think I have had any updates. Automatic Updates are turned on and I have the scheduled updates set for 0100 on Monday mornings. I the car connected to my mobile hotspot which is in the vehicle and I rarely turn that off. How do I make sure it gets an update and how do I check what version I am currently running. It says my system is up-to-date.
  • Charging: I find myself wanting to keep this car charged everyday. I get home around 60-70 percent battery remaining. I may either charge at home or charge first thing at work the next morning trying to get it as close to 90%. I start my work week out with a full charge then a just charge when I can during the week. the lowest I have been is about 45%. I don't like starting my work day under 80%. Should I occasionally run this down to say 15-20 percent.
Overall I love this vehicle. For daily police work for someone that does under 100 miles a day there is no concerns. It is one of the best responsive police vehicles I have been in. Its comfortable and I think it looks great. There is plenty of space for equipment. So I give it a thumbs up.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars 459E5BA9-A61B-4C34-A6B5-E3265D343027

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Police Cars 1646715799290

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/disable-horn-chirping-when-you-walk-away.5041/

Check with @Ford Motor Company if you have contacts there, they maybe able to help and do additional things for you because its a Police car.
Looks like it can't be disabled with car on.
Sponsored