Mach-E Premium AWD SR vs AWD ER -- worth spending the $6,000 to get an extended range battery?

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium GB
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I opted for the ER and AWD, but when I trade it in on a Lightning pickup; I will get a SR battery. The trade in value was a factor on the MMe.

I only have a 15 mile commute and Solar cells and I rarely take long trips. That will change when I retire in a few years - but DCFC is still cheaper than gas or the ER battery.
With the new pricing for 23, SR looks even better. I hope my trade in/ resale value keeps pace. 😎 ;)
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The extended range battery costs $8600 for 20kWh (60 miles) extra range. That is $420 per kWh while Ford’s actual cost is ~$100 per kWh.

So that is a 4X upcharge. Seems a lot but other options have even larger profit margins. The paint was $800 while the extra material and labor cost is close to $0. It is pure profit.
Apple charges $200 for 256Gb extra iPhone memory, which costs them $25 tops: an 8X upcharge.

All options over the base model are hopelessly overpriced. But of those, the larger battery is the more useful one and the least overpriced.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
With the new pricing I would only go with an ER battery if I was a driving for work every day and it would help me avoid DCFC stops. For a road trip I found SR RWD to be enough, sure if you want to drive the entire east coast in 3 days vs 4 days it may matter but how often is that a thing..

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I wonder how long the SR will be available, and my prediction is that they all will be gone after the first week of ordering.

It's too much profit on ER for Ford to miss, doesn't make much sense to produce a lot of SR vehicles.

Now I'm a little upset that ordered SR when the difference was 5K, that would give me a few thousand dollars on resale value. Well, I've never been good with investing... :rolleyes:

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
With the new pricing I would only go with an ER battery if I was a driving for work every day and it would help me avoid DCFC stops.
So for the locations with cold winter, the daily commute without charging should not be more than 150 miles, and even that might be a stretch (charging to 100% and coming back with a low battery message every day )

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So for the locations with cold winter, the daily commute without charging should not be more than 150 miles, and even that might be a stretch (charging to 100% and coming back with a low battery message every day )
We never considered the SR battery due to the range impact in winter.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Yup. Less than optimal in Winter states.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Yup. Less than optimal in Winter states.
Depends on usage - more than enough for me. My round trip to the office is about 40 miles, so I charged after two in winter and three in the summer.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That’s a pretty substantial commute. Some people definitely need or can make good use out of the ER, but my impression on threads like this over the past couple of years is that lots of people are quick to rule out the SR when for at least some of those people, it comes down to unjustified range anxiety.

Doug&Julie

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium LR-RWD
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
Something else to consider...how long do you plan to keep your car? We bought our Mach-E with long term ownership in mind. As the car ages, batteries will likely degrade (how much is still very TBD), but let's say in 10 years / 100k miles we lose 10% of our battery...our 300 mile EPA range car will still have 270 miles of range, so we'll still feel comfortable with longer trips, etc.

Other than that, I will say (for us) the extra battery range has made our day / road trips much more comfortable. We have zero regrets.

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium GB
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I wonder how long the SR will be available, and my prediction is that they all will be gone after the first week of ordering.

It's too much profit on ER for Ford to miss, doesn't make much sense to produce a lot of SR vehicles.

Now I'm a little upset that ordered SR when the difference was 5K, that would give me a few thousand dollars on resale value. Well, I've never been good with investing... :rolleyes:
Back in the late 60's, Ford made a lot of 289s when the 351 was available! 😎

am142j

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD
Country flag
Expecting my second RWD SR soon and looking back I should have gone with the ER. At the time of ordering I didn't know that you only charged to 80% for battery health. And traveling from Sac to the Bay Area that extra range would probably allow me to not stop for a quick top up most of the time.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Let's do some Math!

In my situation, the ER battery will eliminate ~5 to 10 charging stops away from home a year over the SR battery. I expect to keep the car ~3 years.

Sooo... the ER battery would save me 15 to 30 charging stops... at the cost of $6K... hmm $200-$400 savings per stop excluding resale difference... SR for me is the way to go.

IRL the SR battery has not stopped me from going anywhere that an extra 60 miles of range would have enabled.

On a different topic, why would anyone listen to a car salesman about anything...
I did the exact same analysis using my longest road trip - 800 km one way - and figured I'd likely need to stop about 2 more times on the SR battery vs ER. In Canada the ER battery was $8k more, and now disqualifies you from the Federal $5k rebate. So $13k for the ER vs SR in Canada was absolutely not worth it in my case.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Expecting my second RWD SR soon and looking back I should have gone with the ER. At the time of ordering I didn't know that you only charged to 80% for battery health. And traveling from Sac to the Bay Area that extra range would probably allow me to not stop for a quick top up most of the time.
In your situation, charging to 100% is necessary and you should go for it - after all, the vehicle is meant to be used and if you need it, you need it. Also, charging to 90% isn't really bad either, many people regularly do it - it is constantly keeping the battery at 100% charge that is the most problematic.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
[/QUOTE]

Yes, especially with AWD. Two motors equal more electrical usage. Also means less stopping to charge on long trips. I have a RWD Premium XR.
Sponsored