machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Funny enough, none of the owners that drive one are saving money over an ICE vehicle either.

As nice as the Mach-E is, it's a $25,000 vehicle with another $25k worth of batteries in it.

You could find a comparably optioned ICE crossover for around $30k vs. Mach-E's $50k price tag. Add to that higher insurance premiums, and any illusion of saving money vs. driving an ICE car only make sense over a 10+ year lifespan.
but.....what about saving the environment :p

but....what 30K ICE looks and drives like the MME?

but....what about the $7500 federal rebate?

but...what about not having to ever stop at a gas station?

but...what about looking good in what one is driving?

but...what about lower maintenance costs?

I could go on but... why
Sponsored

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There's no way Ford was EVER making money on the Lightning Pro, period.

The battery materials issue will sort itself out, but it will take a couple of years. We'll see a whole slew of new materials projects come onstream (and maybe even the advent of cheap sodium batteries). The point is we'll have a glut of batteries in a couple of years and that's when we'll finally see genuinely affordable EVs come out. In the meantime, hang on!
The future (in my opinion) is graphene batteries. Once someone figures out how to cheaply produce graphene and scale it up, ICE vehicles will become instantly obsolete.

Graphene is light, strong, has extremely good electrical conductivity, and has extremely good electrical storage capacity. Its also literally just carbon, and thats way more abundant than Lithium

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
While waiting 28 weeks to get a build date, and having already bought a Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd while waiting, I'm thinking I will do my best to have Ford sell me the long-awaited MME with price protection and no-ADM. (Don't care much about Ford's profit margin, although I don't want dealer to be given another markup opportunity.) After that, I don't know yet what I'll do with the MME. Donation comes to mind. Anyone know what happens with Ford price protection promise or Fed tax credit with donation?
1655343362664.gif

ps Although this is a bit of a thread hijack, I thought it was okay since the point of the thread has been blunted by the correction. ;)
I'll accept your donation 😉

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'll accept your donation 😉
So, what is your 501(c)(3) status? Otherwise, are you my son/daughter? ;)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Production Costs Increases and No Longer Profitable For Ford 1655571803289

If I just give up my MME order, you could buy it at the dealer MSRP+markup, since dealer unlikely to honor price protection with sale to other than the one who placed the original order.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So, what is your 501(c)(3) status? Otherwise, are you my son/daughter? ;)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Production Costs Increases and No Longer Profitable For Ford 8174AE62-8A3F-4F34-8509-1DC57B8C5DC2

If I just give up my MME order, you could buy it at the dealer MSRP+markup, since dealer unlikely to honor price protection with sale to other than the one who placed the original order.
*Hurriedly makes up a fake charity that is in reality just my personal checkbook, and files the paperwork*

Hmmm....what will we be a charity to help?.... homeless leprechauns...yeah that sounds legit.

In all seriousness, if you actually are thinking about donating one to a real charity (😉), total props to you :)

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
*Hurriedly makes up a fake charity that is in reality just my personal checkbook, and files the paperwork*

Hmmm....what will we be a charity to help?.... homeless leprechauns...yeah that sounds legit.

In all seriousness, if you actually are thinking about donating one to a real charity (😉), total props to you :)
With every passing week without a build date, I dwell on the negative notion that Ford and the dealers benefit even more from the delays if I yield back my long-awaited order. I want to make them honor their price protection and no-ADM promises, which is not very charitable. (In all honesty, charitable donation of cash equivalent is probably more "efficient" than donating a newly purchased car since sales tax in Cal is thousands of dollars and wouldn't likely be included in the tax deduction. Don't know how the Fed tax credit and the IRS would factor in, either.)
For me, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd I bought is every bit the equal of the MME. If spouse remains adamant that she does not want a new BEV and prefers her 12-yr-old Honda CRV, what am I to do? Sell the MME for a profit? Anyway, it seems I have yet many more weeks to think about it.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Production Costs Increases and No Longer Profitable For Ford 1655603001829

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
They are still a hell of a lot cheaper than the Mach E, I just priced a well equipped Escape Titanium at $41,000. How in the world are younger people starting out going to be able to afford an electric car at these ridiculously high prices? I can afford anything I want and pay cash but that's not the norm. 🤔
Well when I was young, I was happy to get a rusted out banged up Subaru! We can't all start at the top. For those that can, good for you, but as many things in life you work your way up.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
It's like a perfect storm. There is a dramatic rise in commodity costs for building batteries. Then there are rising interest rates increasing the cost for financing the vehicle. Both make buying a vehicle almost unaffordable for most consumers. Perhaps we can't jump directly from gas vehicles to EVs. Maybe we need an interim phase where we build more hybrids. I had read that the batteries in 4 hybrids would cost the equivalent of 1 EV. In the interim, develop better battery technology to increase range, shorten charging times, and reduce costs.
Maverick XL Hybrid, ordered and it's under $22,000 and my daughter will get 40 MPG around town and college.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Well when I was young, I was happy to get a rusted out banged up Subaru! We can't all start at the top. For those that can, good for you, but as many things in life you work your way up.
Exactly, so how is a young person supposed to afford an electric car when they are so damn expensive?

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Last edited:

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Funny enough, none of the owners that drive one are saving money over an ICE vehicle either.

As nice as the Mach-E is, it's a $25,000 vehicle with another $25k worth of batteries in it.

You could find a comparably optioned ICE crossover for around $30k vs. Mach-E's $50k price tag. Add to that higher insurance premiums, and any illusion of saving money vs. driving an ICE car only make sense over a 10+ year lifespan.
My mach e came out to $35k after all the rebates and insurance isn’t any higher. So I think I’m doing pretty good compared to a gas car especially with $7/gallon gas lol

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
but.....what about saving the environment :p

but....what 30K ICE looks and drives like the MME?

but....what about the $7500 federal rebate?

but...what about not having to ever stop at a gas station?

but...what about looking good in what one is driving?

but...what about lower maintenance costs?

I could go on but... why
No offense, LOL, but you should have gone on to the most important stuff.;)

Let us not forget: 90 MPGe, +-. In a 4,600# vehicle! With a 0 to 60 of about 4-5 seconds. Would anyone have believed that 5 years ago?

Show me the Escape or Edge that can match that.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
No offense, LOL, but you should have gone on to the most important stuff.;)

Let us not forget: 90 MPGe, +-. In a 4,600# vehicle! With a 0 to 60 of about 4-5 seconds. Would anyone have believed that 5 years ago?

Show me the Escape or Edge that can match that.
Very weird. The site has been alerting me to replies for other members’ posts. Been seeing other people in other threads responding similarly. @Administrator might need to look int this. 🤷‍♂️😱🐩
Sponsored