Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I would have just liked the option and I would have paid for it. I agree that I might not be able to draw comparison to an ICE vehicle based on price alone. Like @buzznwood said in his other post, I don't feel that for the most premium version of the vehicle (GTPE) should get the cheapest looking seats. I honestly like the premium light (whitish) seats better. If I would have been given a choice for those I would have picked them.
it definitely seems that Ford's getting pushback from many places about the seat differentiation between the GT and the GT PE and how it was approached, as a specific example. I suspect if I had the option for the GT PE seats and had a chance to test them, I'd probably have liked them in my FE - the extra shoulder-level support looks very enticing to me. I don't really know though and didn't have the option.

I suspect that some of this will change and be more flexible in the next generation - maybe even more recent than that. We know it's not changing for MY 2022. ?

Just glad it was a free to attend!
worth every penny. ?
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First of all, my views are not more valid than anyone else. But to answer your question and to piggy-back on something that @buzznwood said ... I would have liked an option. If they would have offered a leather seat I would have paid for it. Below is a picture of the inside of my Audi and I personally (my opinion and many may disagree) is just so much nicer. My GTPE and Audi SQ5, same year, are the same price.

1634236471217.png
Audi interiors are great, especially the diamond seats.

Sadly, the build quality took a hit when they moved production to Mexico. Wife and I had our 2019 SQ5 a little over a year and had 3 warranty claims (moonroof, reverse light assembly, wheel trim). Decided to sell it and get a Model 3 Performance for her instead.

20211014_152330.jpg

Magnitude

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Route 1
Country flag
My family and I have owned Mercedes and BMW since 1986. Our Mercedes SD and even our 1983 300D all used synthetic leather. The seats on the MME are OK. similar to the seats on a Toyota Sienna. What Ford should had done is actually used the interior designers of the new Lincoln Aviator and their seats. Holy crap are those seats comfortable. you can adjust everything on these seats.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Ranks Second in 2021 J.D. Power Seat Quality and Satisfaction Study R

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Cost, cost, and cost Can't compare Ice to BEV. IF you took all the best functions from what we all like from each brand the mache would cost an extra 30,000.

Market spacing and price points set what can be offered for each price range. Nothing german made in a Bev was close to the mache price at launch. By 2025 when everyone will be aboard, Then you will see true price wars in the Bev market starting.

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
While I’m not against leather or eating meat (at all), I do think it’s sort of nice that Ford is going with this fake leather material. Idk…less cows dead for the sake of my car seems like a good thing? And people don’t honestly care when they sit on the seat, as long as it’s not fabric lol
probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually am someone who doesn’t eat meat or buy leather and I actually really enjoyed that ford went the leather free route here. I wouldnt say that it was THE reason I bought the Mach e, but it was definitely a contributing selling point for me.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually am someone who doesn’t eat meat or buy leather and I actually really enjoyed that ford went the leather free route here. I wouldnt say that it was THE reason I bought the Mach e, but it was definitely a contributing selling point for me.
That’s fine, to each their own.

But for some reason the car manufacturers think that all BEV drivers are vegans. It’s a really odd bet to make. Especially since only 3% of the US claim to be vegan.

Then again, most car manufacturers think BEV drivers want really ugly cars. I’m glad Ford didn’t go that route. ?

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
I don't feel like the non-leather seat selection is a Ford or MME thing. When I bought my MME, I feel like every car I looked at or compared it to had the faux leather seats. I traded in a 2018 BMW X-1, and when I bought it, my memory is that most all of the packages included the faux leather. I'm sure there were options with real leather, but they certainly weren't the most common.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't feel like the non-leather seat selection is a Ford or MME thing. When I bought my MME, I feel like every car I looked at or compared it to had the faux leather seats. I traded in a 2018 BMW X-1, and when I bought it, my memory is that most all of the packages included the faux leather. I'm sure there were options with real leather, but they certainly weren't the most common.
BMW has given you both options for decades.

Very different than a manufacturer who gives you only one option and advertises and brags about it being “vegan leather.”

The irony? The rest of the car isn’t vegan. It’s just a shameful marketing ploy.

It’s like a burger company bragging about using “vegan lettuce” on their cheeseburger.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/780-can-you-own-a-car-and-be-a-vegan.amp

The biggest issue? Animal fats used to make steel and rubber. Never seen a car made without steel and/or rubber.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have a fairly sensitive sense of smell and I didn’t notice any pungent or objectionable odors when I received my car. There was a whiff of that “new car smell” (plastic out gassing) but I thought it was less noticeable than prior cars. Of course, my car sat in Mexico for a long time, so I’m sure a lot of outgassing occurred before I received it. I actually like the “hand” of ActiveX (as executed in the premium interior). When I first saw/sat in the car, I found it indistinguishable from quality leather. Perhaps I have poor taste.
Personally, I’m happy that Ford didn’t go overboard with lots of shiny chrome accents everywhere. The car isn’t supposed to be a mid-1950s monstrosity. I’ve seen some cars with more interior “bling” than professional athletes. I find it obnoxious. YMMV of course. Perhaps Ford can offer an “interior accent package”? Anyone remember the Bill Blass Lincolns? ???
That all said, I am disappointed with the seats from a functional perspective. I think they’re lacking 4 degrees of adjustment (for and aft tilt), and they should be ventilated, as well as heated. Also, there should be an option for heated rear seats. If Ford really wanted to up their seat game to the next level, they could make the lumbar support up-down adjustable.
Finally, I’ve never understood the love for quilted seats. Again, seems like grandma’s (or would it be great-grandma’s) Cadillac. But that’s a personal aesthetic issue and clearly I’m in the minority when it comes to premium car interiors, If you look at marques like Rolls Royce & Bentley ?

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The Mach-E took second in the mass market SUV in the 2021 J.D. Power Seat Quality and Satisfaction Study, ranking just below the Nissan Rogue in problems per 100 vehicles.

Full press release below (see page 3 for Mach-E ranking).

2021096 U.S. Seat Quality and Satisfaction-1.jpg

2021096 U.S. Seat Quality and Satisfaction-2.jpg

2021096 U.S. Seat Quality and Satisfaction-3.jpg

2021096 U.S. Seat Quality and Satisfaction-4.jpg
In my opinion the MachE (FE) seats are among the best I've experienced (I'm coming from Audi Q5, prior Mazda CX-5, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti Q45). They are super comfortable on long trips. I only wish they had the leg extender my Audi did. But they are excellent seats.

No odd smells in my vehicle.

Reactions: abr

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
BMW has given you both options for decades.

Very different than a manufacturer who gives you only one option and advertises and brags about it being “vegan leather.”

The irony? The rest of the car isn’t vegan. It’s just a shameful marketing ploy.

It’s like a burger company bragging about using “vegan lettuce” on their cheeseburger.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/780-can-you-own-a-car-and-be-a-vegan.amp

The biggest issue? Animal fats used to make steel and rubber. Never seen a car made without steel and/or rubber.
I feel like you have misread my original post. I'm not saying whether it's silly to call the car vegan, just that this isn't a Ford or MME thing. Cars are being marketed this way by a quite a few car companies now. Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Tesla are all advertising cars as "vegan" now. Shoot Volvo has come out and said that ALL of their cars will be "vegan" by 2030.

I just don't see this being a Ford thing. It may be silly, but why not market a car that way if there appears to be a market that wants to buy cars classified like this. I don't really care if it's vegan or not, certainly wasn't a part of my buying decision, but it is a trend in the auto industry right now.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I feel like you have misread my original post. I'm not saying whether it's silly to call the car vegan, just that this isn't a Ford or MME thing. Cars are being marketed this way by a quite a few car companies now. Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Tesla are all advertising cars as "vegan" now. Shoot Volvo has come out and said that ALL of their cars will be "vegan" by 2030.

I just don't see this being a Ford thing. It may be silly, but why not market a car that way if there appears to be a market that wants to buy cars classified like this. I don't really care if it's vegan or not, certainly wasn't a part of my buying decision, but it is a trend in the auto industry right now.
Definitely a trend. I’m not just picking on Ford, it’s all the manufacturers.

But it’s somewhere between disingenuous and an outright lie.

Why not market the car this way?
1. It’s a lie
2. It’s catering to a very small minority, and that same small minority should care that it’s a lie.

Basically the only people who would care that they call the car vegan, would also be mad that it actually isn’t vegan.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
In my opinion the MachE (FE) seats are among the best I've experienced (I'm coming from Audi Q5, prior Mazda CX-5, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti Q45). They are super comfortable on long trips. I only wish they had the leg extender my Audi did. But they are excellent seats.

No odd smells in my vehicle.
Your Q5 has a device that makes your legs longer? ?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
The Mach-E took second in the mass market SUV in the 2021 J.D. Power Seat Quality and Satisfaction Study, ranking just below the Nissan Rogue in problems per 100 vehicles.

Full press release below (see page 3 for Mach-E ranking).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Ranks Second in 2021 J.D. Power Seat Quality and Satisfaction Study R

I find this hilarious as I'm taking my Mach E to the dealer on Friday to have its clunky seat fixed.