Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The park pawl is normal for mechanical transmissions, and a safeguard here if any electrical brake fails. Munro complains too much about how Ford builds but weren't the drive units designed and built by Borg Wagner? Eventually Ford engineers will design a better and simpler drive unit for future models. GM did the same for the second generation Chevy Volt, so we will see improvements for the next Mach-E generations.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
am I to understand I'll need to replace a laminate on an electric vehicle motor?

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Is the presumption that Ford makes this motor?

horsevxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, 01 Cobra, 86 SVO, Mach E GT
Country flag
If Munro were to actually have input into the design of an electric vehicle, it would have the bare minimum amount of fasteners, all delicate high voltage connections in the electronics would be friction/pressure fit with no permanent mechanical connections, the dedicated oil cooling system would be reduced or eliminated "because VW did it," and all manufacturing processes would be designed according to Sandy's non-applicable, 30+year out of date education and professional experience. I'm happy to have extra fasteners, welding, and other "unnecessary" components that confuse Sandy since they all make the vehicle better for the customer. His comments are all related to making the cars cheaper to produce, not to improve customer experience or performance.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
This is a BorgWarner motor, and yes.
Actually, reading that linked article more carefully, BorgWarner manufactures the entire drive module, which includes the gearbox and thermal management, and the motor is part of that system. It sounds like the motor and electronics may be sourced from other manufacturers and integrated into the drive module. So technically, BorgWarner may not manufacture the motor itself.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Interesting, they don't stamp their own logo or brand on their own product? This could be a normal thing in the automotive industry, have no idea
From just looking around the car, I've noticed that just about everything has Ford branding on it. They are very meticulous with their supply chain and I think it is part of their process.
Kind of like Costco makes all their vendors put Costco-specific tags on everything :p

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
From just looking around the car, I've noticed that just about everything has Ford branding on it. They are very meticulous with their supply chain and I think it is part of their process.
Kind of like Costco makes all their vendors put Costco-specific tags on everything :p
True, I guess it's a pretty normal thing then. Supposedly the Kirkland vodka is just rebranded Grey Goose

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects