Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Integrated Drive Module (iDM) BorgWarner’s iDM is a complete system with a motor, transmission, power electronics, and controls and offers a simplified design which reduces costs, overall weight and space required and optimizes NVH.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS Drive module for electrical vehicles with integrated electrical machine and power electronics Operating Voltage 250 – 450VDC WEG cooling Optional e-park lock system Integrated electronics High-torque and power density High-efficiency Easy vehicle integration

Electric - BorgWarner

Maybe this is an IDM?

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I'm thinking the bright engineers at BorgWarner and Ford could explain those things that appear to be a "mystery" to Sandy.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Interesting, they don't stamp their own logo or brand on their own product? This could be a normal thing in the automotive industry, have no idea
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E rear motor teardown by Sandy Munro 1628276173680

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
If Munro were to actually have input into the design of an electric vehicle, it would have the bare minimum amount of fasteners, all delicate high voltage connections in the electronics would be friction/pressure fit with no permanent mechanical connections, the dedicated oil cooling system would be reduced or eliminated "because VW did it," and all manufacturing processes would be designed according to Sandy's non-applicable, 30+year out of date education and professional experience. I'm happy to have extra fasteners, welding, and other "unnecessary" components that confuse Sandy since they all make the vehicle better for the customer. His comments are all related to making the cars cheaper to produce, not to improve customer experience or performance.
You would end up with an Arcimoto https://www.arcimoto.com/

Not fast, not appear to be very safe, not a Mustang, but at least you would entertain everybody wh laughs at you. Oh, and Sandy would approve!

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Now, I've finally lost all respect for Munro.

He has to know (or SHOULD know) that the MOSFET array had to have been installed to the board in his hand BEFORE being fastened to the assembly. The MOSFETs would then simply slide into place in the heat sink.

I can tell by watching a video that its obvious.

The fact that he pretends that this is made in the most difficult way possible leads me to think he's not the wizard he thinks he is, or he's making Ford look bad on purpose.

Either way, he should be striped of any of the credibility that he's got left.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E rear motor teardown by Sandy Munro Mach E pc board

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
He has to know (or SHOULD know) that the MOSFET array had to have been installed to the board in his hand BEFORE being fastened to the assembly. The MOSFETs would then simply slide into place in the heat sink.

I was thinking the exact same thing... if assembly seems difficult based on your assumed order of operations, your first assumption should be that your assumed order of operations is wrong.

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
Now, I've finally lost all respect for Munro.

The fact that he pretends that this is made in the most difficult way possible leads me to think he's not the wizard he thinks he is, or he's making Ford look bad on purpose.

Either way, he should be striped of any of the credibility that he's got left.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E rear motor teardown by Sandy Munro Mach E pc board
Circuit board can be populated by a robotic system that feeds components and with one step insert all items. It then passes through a wave solder bath and excess leads automatically trimmed. It then goes to a testing instrument and if it passes gets boxed or bagged. Rejects are separated. I don't know what they do with them as fixing them may not be worth it.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Even if he's wrong or spouts off at least the videos are interesting. I'm not aware of any other tear downs of the latest EVs part by part?
completely agree - I love seeing the guts of a Mach-E - especially when it's not mine! ?

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Jacknapes... :rolleyes:

Don't know why but always wanted to say that.. :)

Now where is the exit.. ..ah there Stang left...

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Ford will be making their own motors and powertrains:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...dyke-plant_s-name-change-electrification.html

I watched it and found it interesting. But really, saying there are over 500 parts when they are laminated in one part is pretty ridiculous. Sandy is like a grumpy muppet, continually complaining about fasteners, and dissing other engineers who are not there to explain to him why they did what they did.

But, I still enjoy seeing the teardown.

EVready

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLC300, BMW M240xi, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It really degrades the otherwise effective design for manufacturability analysis to see how biased he is...I really enjoy what they uncover, but the not-so-subtle comments compared to Tesla are unfortunate.
Sponsored