EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Munro does not understand inverter design for EMC, that's clear.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
Ford will be making their own motors and powertrains:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...dyke-plant_s-name-change-electrification.html

I watched it and found it interesting. But really, saying there are over 500 parts when they are laminated in one part is pretty ridiculous. Sandy is like a grumpy muppet, continually complaining about fasteners, and dissing other engineers who are not there to explain to him why they did what they did.

But, I still enjoy seeing the teardown.
Cool video that I found from the link above, showing Ford assembly (not Borg Warner) of F-150 motors https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6255799100001

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Cool video that I found from the link above, showing Ford assembly (not Borg Warner) of F-150 motors https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6255799100001
That's funny. I didn't see any guys dropping screws into the wrong place like Sandy said is happening. They must be hiding this. It simply cannot be that Sandy has a wild hair you know where and is referencing 30 year old manufacturing processes and things he has no clue about. After all, everything should be held together with clips. Unless it has a Tesla logo on it.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Now, I've finally lost all respect for Munro.

He has to know (or SHOULD know) that the MOSFET array had to have been installed to the board in his hand BEFORE being fastened to the assembly. The MOSFETs would then simply slide into place in the heat sink.

I can tell by watching a video that its obvious.

The fact that he pretends that this is made in the most difficult way possible leads me to think he's not the wizard he thinks he is, or he's making Ford look bad on purpose.

Either way, he should be striped of any of the credibility that he's got left.

Mach E pc board.jpg
Don't confuse poor Sandy with that electronical stuff ?

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Interesting, they don't stamp their own logo or brand on their own product? This could be a normal thing in the automotive industry, have no idea
Its typical for whomever pays for the tools to support their contracted orders to put their logo in the tool (die cast mold in this case) so that suppliers can't use that tool to build parts for someone else or even sell aftermarket parts out the back door without Ford's lawyers noticing. OEMs also don't like to advertise their supplier's names if they can avoid it.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
That's funny. I didn't see any guys dropping screws into the wrong place like Sandy said is happening. They must be hiding this. It simply cannot be that Sandy has a wild hair you know where and is referencing 30 year old manufacturing processes and things he has no clue about. After all, everything should be held together with clips. Unless it has a Tesla logo on it.
Screw dropping doesn't happen because they have plexiglass covers that must be pulled down first (with sensors to make sure you use them) that only have openings exactly where the required fasteners go for that station. Lots of different types of fastener heads (another thing Sandy hates) are used specifically to prevent bolts from being installed in the wrong place because the automated screw guns will only have one specific socket for each specific bolt location. Having different boxes of screws at different stations doesn't slow anyone down because they each have exactly what they need for their job.

I think Sandy must have left Ford before Henry Ford made the assembly line because he acts like one person is building the entire car by his/herself with just a tool box and a box of parts.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
If Munro were to actually have input into the design of an electric vehicle, it would have the bare minimum amount of fasteners, all delicate high voltage connections in the electronics would be friction/pressure fit with no permanent mechanical connections, the dedicated oil cooling system would be reduced or eliminated "because VW did it," and all manufacturing processes would be designed according to Sandy's non-applicable, 30+year out of date education and professional experience. I'm happy to have extra fasteners, welding, and other "unnecessary" components that confuse Sandy since they all make the vehicle better for the customer. His comments are all related to making the cars cheaper to produce, not to improve customer experience or performance.
And will it run after he puts it back together. There’s no way an automotive engineer is an expert in everything. I enjoy watching the tear downs but can tell where expertise and opinion overlap.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I'm coming to the view these video's are junk and almost useless.

I'm really hoping Prof Kelly of Weber State gets hold of a MachE (Ford u listening) and does his painstaking teardown. He takes a year or two to do one though. And know you are listening to a professional. None of this shoot from the hip nonsense, every piece of info has been checked and cleared. And it is a thoroughly enjoyable compared to these. Not only that goes through the entire reverse process too. I have learned so much from his videos.... esp. reassembling the car till it is operational. Every bolt is torqued down to spec and perfectly redone.

Anyone with a spare MachE can donate it to him as well. :)

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I think it will be even more entertaining to watch the videos where they try to put it back together again.
Not sure if you're joking or not but apparently they never put these cars back together. Parts are auctioned off at some point. Dibs on the 15.5" display btw... ?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Munro does not understand inverter design for EMC, that's clear.
Don't confuse poor Sandy with that electronical stuff ?
True, Sandy may be out of his comfort level with electric motors moving cars.

The thing to keep in mind about his videos, whether they're about the MME, the id4, or the Ford Lightning (someday), is that these are all Infomercials. They're designed to sell his services and reports on the cars and little more. Yes, he does try to crowdsource the purchases of new vehicles, but the videos are intended to pique curiosity and drive corporate customers to the real, and very detailed reports. Want to know what those say? You can buy it, just as Ford, Tesla, and anyone else can. They are quite pricey though.

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
True, Sandy may be out of his comfort level with electric motors moving cars.

The thing to keep in mind about his videos, whether they're about the MME, the id4, or the Ford Lightning (someday), is that these are all Infomercials. They're designed to sell his services and reports on the cars and little more. Yes, he does try to crowdsource the purchases of new vehicles, but the videos are intended to pique curiosity and drive corporate customers to the real, and very detailed reports. Want to know what those say? You can buy it, just as Ford, Tesla, and anyone else can. They are quite pricey though.
I used to work for a company that wrote those benchmark reports. I'm not sure his commentary will help to sell his services... I sure hope he has an EE on staff.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Its typical for whomever pays for the tools to support their contracted orders to put their logo in the tool (die cast mold in this case) so that suppliers can't use that tool to build parts for someone else or even sell aftermarket parts out the back door without Ford's lawyers noticing. OEMs also don't like to advertise their supplier's names if they can avoid it.
True.
Except when said supplier has more brand recognition. (Cummins, Allison, Brembo, B&O etc)
Borg Warner is probably a toss up.
Has Ford announced where they are getting the Lightning motors? I know it isn't the Magna E-Beam. I think those are likely going to the last mile van bodies if I remember correctly...
Sponsored