Mach E refused Unbridled mode - too hot?

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select eAWD
Country flag
Yesterday I decided to go for a cruise in 100 degree heat. My car refused to let me switch to Unbridled mode for a good long time, and I suspect the extreme heat caused the car to take that mode off the table until things cooled down. Later in the trip I was able to switch, but not before the outside temperature readings had declilned significantly. Has anyone else experienced this, or was this just a glitch?
Sponsored

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
I have had the car switch modes on me while driving; unfortunately you’re not the first member to experience this. Was this starting out from a garage or after it had been parked outside?

OP
OP
pr0t0c0l_dr01d

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have had the car switch modes on me while driving; unfortunately you’re not the first member to experience this. Was this starting out from a garage or after it had been parked outside?
It had been baking in the hot sun in my black top driveway before I set off.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@pr0t0c0l_dr01d That’s probably what did it. Scotty has done it on 90 degree days too; I don’t know if there’s ever been an official confirmation as to whether this is a bug or expected behavior from the car. Would love to have that answer myself!

metroplex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The batteries were probably too hot. The Mach-E seems to have a very conservative system to reduce power, or a less effective cooling system than Tesla.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yesterday I decided to go for a cruise in 100 degree heat. My car refused to let me switch to Unbridled mode for a good long time, and I suspect the extreme heat caused the car to take that mode off the table until things cooled down. Later in the trip I was able to switch, but not before the outside temperature readings had declilned significantly. Has anyone else experienced this, or was this just a glitch?
This symptom has been reported before. Do you use 1PD and if so, was that still enabled?

The Drive Mode Unavailable condition is believed to be related to high HVB temp but we don't know for certain.

The real question I have is "Why disable Unbridled?". We know the power level is the same as the other modes. The difference is the regen. I guess that isn't helpful when the battery is hot? Hmmmm??? 🤔

OP
OP
pr0t0c0l_dr01d

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps @Ford Motor Company can tell us?
This symptom has been reported before. Do you use 1PD and if so, was that still enabled?

The Drive Mode Unavailable condition is believed to be related to high HVB temp but we don't know for certain.

The real question I have is "Why disable Unbridled?". We know the power level is the same as the other modes. The difference is the regen. I guess that isn't helpful when the battery is hot? Hmmmm??? 🤔
Yeah I had 1PD enabled. I love it and use it constantly.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

So that makes it even more confusing. If the battery is warm, then why disable Unbridled without also disabling 1PD? Doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe the "Drive Modes Unavailable" has nothing to do with temperature and might be a symptom for some other concern?

Did you receive a "Drive Mode Unavailable message"? (I believe that is what gets displayed....)

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Just as another data point, …..

I live here in Tampa (duh) and it’s been hotter than Hades since June. I have “Unbridled” permanently selected and always drive in 1P. I have never seen it downgrade to a lower drive mode.

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag

One pedal driving adds a significant load to the power electrics. The battery can’t take all the regen juice. So it has to burn off that energy as heat. So sounds like the system couldn’t handle the heat rejection required under it’s condition.

OP
OP
pr0t0c0l_dr01d

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just as another data point, …..

I live here in Tampa (duh) and it’s been hotter than Hades since June. I have “Unbridled” permanently selected and always drive in 1P. I have never seen it downgrade to a lower drive mode.
Have you gotten your patch for the battery junction box issue yet? I just received mine a few days ago.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
One pedal driving adds a significant load to the power electrics. The battery can’t take all the regen juice. So it has to burn off that energy as heat. So sounds like the system couldn’t handle the heat rejection required under it’s condition.
Yes. I have seen that same thing in my data logs. However, I believe the OP stated that 1PD remained enabled even while Drive Modes were Unavailable. So, if the calibrations temporarily disabled Unbridled due to a hot battery then why leave 1PD enabled as well? Doesn't make sense to me. Unless it is a glitch in the programming. I seem to remember when this symptom first started appearing last summer, both the Unbridled and Whisper mode was unavailable along with 1PD. The vehicle drove in 2PD and what seemed like Engage mode. Maybe now the symptom is different and 1PD remains enabled? I honestly don't remember, maybe someone that has experienced this issue several times can chime in with some facts.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve always had 1PD enabled even when the mode has changed; at least to the best of my knowledge. And I have gotten drive mode unavailable as the message; then my controls turn blue. I’ve worked around this by driving in engage the past week or so because of the expected high temperatures. I do miss unbridled though.