All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Efficiency doesn't really matter: A heat pump does what the name suggests: moves heat from one place to another. Efficiency just means that it won't lose any heat along the way.
Sorry, not quite accurate.

Heat pumps came in to being because they they are able to produce about 50% more BTU's of heat per kwh than resistance coil heat.

But like anything mechanical, heat pumps, like ICE's, come in varying efficiencies. The SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating), can vary. Energy Star rated heat pumps can go from about 18 to 27 SEER, a large difference.

If you have a BEV, with a limited amount of power available, you want to have as efficient a heat pump as possible. More heat pump efficiency means more miles.

As for extreme cold temps, that is why you have back-up resistance heating.

This extreme a temperature, below:

True, the efficiency does decline slightly as the temperature goes down, but even at very cold, single digit temps, heat pump efficiency is impressive and always better than any other setting on your thermostat. Do not turn the heat pump off by switching to Emer. Jan 4, 2016
If you have a BEV vehicle with air conditioning, you are more than halfway to having a heat pump. Optimize the evaporator coil and the condenser, add a reversing valve, and presto: Your inside evaporator coil becomes your condenser coil, and your outside condenser coil becomes your evaporator.
Sponsored

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR Lucid Red TP+
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Does anyone in Europe has an “ETA End Date” or “Ship Date” ?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Heat pumps lose efficiency as the temperature drops. If you research them, you'll find they are recommended for heating at temps above freezing. If it's below around 30°F it is recommended that they be supplemented with some other form of heat. It isn't that they don't run ... it's that they don't offer much heat for all the energy you put into running them.
They're not all created equal.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Saturn was a smashing success until GM completely brought it into Big GM. Initial factory, dedicated parts, unique platforms and upfront pricing was great until GM

They bought two vehicles, Ranger and MME. So the RS is for the Ranger.
Saturn platforms were not unique, Several had variants in other GM model lines I think.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Saturn platforms were not unique, Several had variants in other GM model lines I think.
Completely Unique from 1990 Saturn's Inception, until the 2000's where platform sharing with Mother GM began. Their own factory, engines etc. Then after the turn of the century, GM slowly turned them into just another division sharing parts etc. Less than 96 months later, Saturn was no longer.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Most HVAC guys will swear that heat pumps will not work below 40 degrees (F) and therefore cannot be used in places like Colorado. I live in Colorado, my home (3,800 sq. ft.) is all electric, including a whole house ducted heat pump system- heating/cooling. The heat pump performs at 100% down to 5 degrees (F) or less, 80% at -13 degrees (F). I have a heat kit attached to the air handler which is set to kick in at -5 degrees. I have yet to use the heat kit in the two winters of use, but with electric heat you will, of course, use more kWhs overall. The heat pump works great winter and summer and in summer my solar array produces many more kWhs than I use in summer and overall for the year. Great for Xcel, they get a lot of production when they need it most (summer) and charge the most for usage. Since they pay me next to nothing for my production.... gee, wonder if they can eek out a living, I hope, I hope, I hope!?
The car heat pump is a scaled down version. Most of the time you will use only your seat and steering wheel heaters (they use less battery energy) for the short trips with one or two people in the car.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The heat pump on my Prius Prime works great. If I leave it outside, the engine kicks in about 25* to help heat the car. But most of the time I leave it in heated garage. 50*

I Was surprised the Mach e does not have one. If the coils use to much range then I well use my Gerbing jacket that I use on my Livewire.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Heat pumps lose efficiency as the temperature drops. If you research them, you'll find they are recommended for heating at temps above freezing. If it's below around 30°F it is recommended that they be supplemented with some other form of heat. It isn't that they don't run ... it's that they don't offer much heat for all the energy you put into running them.
I would say "effectiveness" rather than "efficiency". A heat pump is not very effective at cold temps, but can still be quite efficient. Sorry, that is the engineer in me...

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Most HVAC guys will swear that heat pumps will not work below 40 degrees (F) and therefore cannot be used in places like Colorado. I live in Colorado, my home (3,800 sq. ft.) is all electric, including a whole house ducted heat pump system- heating/cooling. The heat pump performs at 100% down to 5 degrees (F) or less, 80% at -13 degrees (F). I have a heat kit attached to the air handler which is set to kick in at -5 degrees. I have yet to use the heat kit in the two winters of use, but with electric heat you will, of course, use more kWhs overall. The heat pump works great winter and summer and in summer my solar array produces many more kWhs than I use in summer and overall for the year. Great for Xcel, they get a lot of production when they need it most (summer) and charge the most for usage. Since they pay me next to nothing for my production.... gee, wonder if they can eek out a living, I hope, I hope, I hope!?
The car heat pump is a scaled down version. Most of the time you will use only your seat and steering wheel heaters (they use less battery energy) for the short trips with one or two people in the car.
Unless, of course, you ordered a Select or CA Rt1 model as both of those do not have heated steering wheel nor heated seats.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Delivery date of the first “First Edition"
12/31/20202355 CSTagoldman
The car was delivered on 12/31 it appears, so agoldman looks to be the Grand Prize winner. What was the Grand Prize again? His was also the first guess!

OK, we do need a Reward for the one who calculates all the variables here and comes up as the winner. He / she will be sent an Email Gift Certificate for $100 for ordering from The Ford Merchandise Store.
Can you link where this original delivery guess thread is? I've looked everywhere and searched but can't find it. I'm curious what my guess was.

Also did anyone get @agoldman his prize whatever that ended up being?

JDRGolfer1

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Do those who have problems with dealers not know how to look up reviews on google? Most manufacturers have multiple dealers within a 45 mile radius and they are mostly 4-5 stars (out of 5). If dealers were so hated, why the overall good reviews. Maybe it's a regional thing, and there are good dealers in Michigan but other states not so good?

Lots of products have dealers, not only vehicles. It's actually fairly common. Dealers are not the problem.
Lol using Google reviews is your problem

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Sorry, not quite accurate.

Heat pumps came in to being because they they are able to produce about 50% more BTU's of heat per kwh than resistance coil heat.

But like anything mechanical, heat pumps, like ICE's, come in varying efficiencies. The SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating), can vary. Energy Star rated heat pumps can go from about 18 to 27 SEER, a large difference.

If you have a BEV, with a limited amount of power available, you want to have as efficient a heat pump as possible. More heat pump efficiency means more miles.

As for extreme cold temps, that is why you have back-up resistance heating.

This extreme a temperature, below:

If you have a BEV vehicle with air conditioning, you are more than halfway to having a heat pump. Optimize the evaporator coil and the condenser, add a reversing valve, and presto: Your inside evaporator coil becomes your condenser coil, and your outside condenser coil becomes your evaporator.
I’ve lived in homes heated by heat pumps for 30+ years, in climates ranging from central Florida to my current home in the Philadelphia suburbs. I’ve just had my entire HVAC system replaced with an extremely high-end, high SEER system about 4 years ago. I can categorically state that heat pumps struggle to provide a comfortable indoor temperature when outside temperatures drop to approximately 0 C or 32 F. Below that, your electric resistance heat will occasionally kick in to assist. In simple terms, a heat pump is “air conditioning” the outside air. When it’s below freezing, you can’t really “cool” the outside air too much more (draw much heat from it). In fact, ice will begin to form on heat pump coils outside and one common way for the system to get rid of the ice is for it to run in reverse cycle for a few minutes (with the air handler off, of course) warming the outside coils. This is why you’ll occasionally see a large plume of water vapor coming from a heat pump in the winter time. Heat pumps are great when the temperature stays above the mid-30s.
Sponsored