Mach-E Reviews and the Tesla Bias

Generally speaking, do you think Mach-E Reviewers have a Tesla Bias?

• Agree

• Neutral

• Disagree

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I've watched pretty much all of the major MME reviews on YouTube. The comparison with the Tesla MY is a given. Something I've noticed fairly consistently is how Tesla always gets extra points for their charging network, which is unrelated to the actual car. Don't get me wrong, the charging network is a factor for someone considering any BEV, but I think it is misplaced when reviewing the car.

An area that is specifically relevant to the car is build quality. Most reviewers have given the MME high marks in this area, but never once have I seen any of them ding Tesla for this in their comparison with the MME. Maybe this is due to some legal concerns, or maybe they don’t want criticize Tesla too much which might hinder their ability to get review units in the future.

Additionally, if reviewers are going to give Tesla a bump for their charging network, shouldn't Ford get a bump for the vast number of authorized service centers across the country? With the number of build quality issues Tesla's generally have, finding a Tesla dealer isn't a trivial issue for many people. Yet this is never mentioned in the MME and MY comparison.

Maybe it is just me, but just like Apple, Tesla garners such praise from professional reviewers and customers alike that it is hard to get critical feedback. They are overly praised for what they do well, and gloss over what they do wrong. Usually any critical statement is followed up with some explanation of why said issue should be forgiven or diminished.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm interested is hearing feedback from others on this. If anyone has seen a MME review that addresses the gripes I mentioned I'd love to check it out.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I agree and disagree with this. I've had several people ask me about my car, and they always compare it to a tesla. I think a lot of these reviewers are just using Telsa because thats the one comparison that the most people are going to be able to relate with.

I do have a problem with how they don't like to say anything bad about Telsa though. Makes me wonder how many people have referral codes trying to get a free car or all their charging free. It does seem like a lot of the reviewers own a Tesla already.

I do wish that there wasn't SO much comparison to Tesla though. If I'm watching a review, I want to know everything about that car, not just how it compares to another car. Especially since that comparison is usually from the reviewers bias.

Ajpeo3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT Performance Edition Cyber Orange
Country flag
I've watched pretty much all of the major MME reviews on YouTube. The comparison with the Tesla MY is a given. Something I've noticed fairly consistently is how Tesla always gets extra points for their charging network, which is unrelated to the actual car. Don't get me wrong, the charging network is a factor for someone considering any BEV, but I think it is misplaced when reviewing the car.

An area that is specifically relevant to the car is build quality. Most reviewers have given the MME high marks in this area, but never once have I seen any of them ding Tesla for this in their comparison with the MME. Maybe this is due to some legal concerns, or maybe they don’t want criticize Tesla too much which might hinder their ability to get review units in the future.

Additionally, if reviewers are going to give Tesla a bump for their charging network, shouldn't Ford get a bump for the vast number of authorized service centers across the country? With the number of build quality issues Tesla's generally have, finding a Tesla dealer isn't a trivial issue for many people. Yet this is never mentioned in the MME and MY comparison.

Maybe it is just me, but just like Apple, Tesla garners such praise from professional reviewers and customers alike that it is hard to get critical feedback. They are overly praised for what they do well, and gloss over what they do wrong. Usually any critical statement is followed up with some explanation of why said issue should be forgiven or diminished.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm interested is hearing feedback from others on this. If anyone has seen a MME review that addresses the gripes I mentioned I'd love to check it out.
I totally agree with you 100%

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Hop onto any Tesla board and you'll find at least one thread griping about all the praise being heaped on the MME. Personally, I've only seen a couple of reviews where the people seemed biased toward Tesla.

I also think it is fair to mention the MME's underdeveloped charging network. Public charging is very important to some shoppers. I don't know how you can separate "the car itself" from the ability to fuel it. Any honest evaluation should acknowledge that Tesla's Supercharger network, and Tesla charging in general, is currently superior. And if enough reviewers talk about it, maybe it will pressure Ford.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I don't think the Tesla Supercharger network can or should be separated from the vehicle.

Superchargers are built by Tesla, at Tesla's expense, funded by the sale of Tesla cars, owned, operated, and maintained by Tesla, and use a proprietary Tesla Connector that ensures they can only be used by Teslas.

When you buy a Tesla, you are buying the Supercharger network - you're literally paying for it. It should be mentioned as a selling point.

Superchargers are as much a part of a Tesla vehicle as the seat is.

Ford (and GM, and everyone else) had the option to spend the billions to build their own network to rival it - they did not. That's not saying it's good or bad, or the right decision or the wrong decision, but it was a decision.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I think most reviewers try to be unbiased, but there are some Tesla leanings due to a couple of factors. The biggest factor is that Tesla "did it first." There are some things that Tesla did and now Ford is doing it there way. It may be different, but that doesn't mean it is better or worse. But a lot of reviewers seem to think the standard has been set by Tesla.

I think another factor is the hype that has been built up around Tesla -- specifically about range and ADAS. If the reviewer is not hugely experienced with Teslas, they just recite the Tesla EPA range and cringe looking at the MME. I've also heard reviewers say the MME doesn't have anything like Autopilot. They mixup the capabilities of AutoPilot, Enhanced AutoPilot, and the FSD package. In both of those cases, if you look at real world range or actual ADAS capabilities, the MME comes out pretty good.

I don't mind when the lump in the Supercharger network with Tesla. Let them keep doing that. I truly believe in a couple of years, the non-Tesla charging networks will be better than Tesla. For many areas of the country that is already true.

I think many reviewers also leave out the some of the big reasons not to buy a Tesla. First of all, for many areas, a Tesla service center is hours away and there are a ton more Ford service centers. They mostly don't mention anything about known quality issues either.

And this is just the Tesla bias. I think there is also ICE bias, and even more so with many Mustang fan Mach-E reviewers. Ford sorta asked for that by using the Mustang name, but I've grown tired of the numerous "It's a great car, but it's not a Mustang" reviews.

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
Remember, Tesla makes money from selling credits. Hand it to them for capitalizing on this opportunity. Also their charging network is a bonus for Tesla owners. Others will get their public charging infrastructure going soon. Article below.

Eleven states require automakers sell a certain percentage of zero-emissions vehicles by 2025. If they can’t, the automakers have to buy regulatory credits from another automaker that meets those requirements — such as Tesla, which exclusively sells electric cars.

It’s a lucrative business for Tesla — bringing in $3.3 billion over the course of the last five years, nearly half of that in 2020 alone. The $1.6 billion in regulatory credits it received last year far outweighed Tesla’s net income of $721 million — meaning Tesla would have otherwise posted a net loss in 2020.

“These guys are losing money selling cars. They’re making money selling credits. And the credits are going away,” said Gordon Johnson of GLJ Research and one of the biggest bears on Tesla shares.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Remember, Tesla makes money from selling credits. Hand it to them for capitalizing on this opportunity. Also their charging network is a bonus for Tesla owners. Others will get their public charging infrastructure going soon. Article below.

Eleven states require automakers sell a certain percentage of zero-emissions vehicles by 2025. If they can’t, the automakers have to buy regulatory credits from another automaker that meets those requirements — such as Tesla, which exclusively sells electric cars.

It’s a lucrative business for Tesla — bringing in $3.3 billion over the course of the last five years, nearly half of that in 2020 alone. The $1.6 billion in regulatory credits it received last year far outweighed Tesla’s net income of $721 million — meaning Tesla would have otherwise posted a net loss in 2020.

“These guys are losing money selling cars. They’re making money selling credits. And the credits are going away,” said Gordon Johnson of GLJ Research and one of the biggest bears on Tesla shares.
Agreed, the system is working exactly as designed. There'd be no demand for these credits if the automakers had made their own ZEVs. That's how they could have truly been a "Tesla-killer" - launched their EVs earlier.

Last edited:

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
I‘ve stopped watching reviews. They all seem to rehash the same stuff. I‘m just ready to get my car. Positive reviews only make me want the car more and negative reviews could only make me second guess my purchase. The only reviews I plan to watch going forward are real world range tests.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
my time on youtube scouring for reviews has dropped 1000% since picking up my mach-e. i don't need to hear other people tell me how amazing it is ;-)

it's my first EV. the fact it's a well built, higher-end EV, that's practical and looks amazing makes it a joy. i'm glad i waited and didn't get a tesla.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I‘ve stopped watching reviews. They all seem to rehash the same stuff. I‘m just ready to get my car. Positive reviews only make me want the car more and negative reviews could only make me second guess my purchase. The only reviews I plan to watch going forward are real world range tests.
my time on youtube scouring for reviews has dropped 1000% since picking up my mach-e. i don't need to hear other people tell me how amazing it is ;-)

it's my first EV. the fact it's a well built, higher-end EV, that's practical and looks amazing makes it a joy. i'm glad i waited and didn't get a tesla.
So... As one of those YouTuber types... I have to ask. What type of videos would you want to watch now? Now that the previews are done and the reviews are done, I'm making a list of videos to do next. I've thought of range tests (different conditions and weather), charging tests, road trips, how-tos and tips. Any others? Or none of the above?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
So... As one of those YouTuber types... I have to ask. What type of videos would you want to watch now? Now that the previews are done and the reviews are done, I'm making a list of videos to do next. I've thought of range tests (different conditions and weather), charging tests, road trips, how-tos and tips. Any others? Or none of the above?
How about showing us how fun it is to rip the car around with traction control off? :D

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
How about showing us how fun it is to rip the car around with traction control off? :D
I am going to try to get it on a track this summer. I may only do one lap unless I can get some cheap tires or something. ?

OP
OP
Eraser

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think another factor is the hype that has been built up around Tesla -- specifically about range and ADAS. If the reviewer is not hugely experienced with Teslas, they just recite the Tesla EPA range and cringe looking at the MME. I've also heard reviewers say the MME doesn't have anything like Autopilot. They mixup the capabilities of AutoPilot, Enhanced AutoPilot, and the FSD package. In both of those cases, if you look at real world range or actual ADAS capabilities, the MME comes out pretty good.
Good point.
Hopefully over time people will become more educated about these things. As more and more BEV become prevalent I expect things become more diverse, and it won't just be a discussion about Tesla. I think Ford has a real winner on their hands with the MME. If they can deliver on meaningful and regular software enhancements they will really shake up the market.

OP
OP
Eraser

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wasn't aware that Tesla was able to sell Carbon Credits (although I should have figured that out). Based on how slow most of the traditional car manufacturers are to adopt BEV's Tesla must be raking in the cash. Long term that won't be sustainable for them, but they have plenty of runway.
Sponsored