Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
I can't imagine going into a presentation that unprepared!

And what was with the cup of coffee??
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I find him a straight shooter. However, his perspective definitely comes from last gen. But you can be assured he's not been paid off by a manufacturer. Why the double pull on the Hood? That really needs to be electric; or at least electric optional (manual release but open with app). Coming out of grocery store with bags in hand, I don't want to reach down inside the car to open the frunk. Hope there is a cargo net option for the back.

Anyone else watching their order seeing the build date disappear? I know it has come and gone since putting the order in (Nov 2020); but never seen it stay gone for so long. Semiconductor shortage affecting??

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Geez some of you guy's are absolutely brutal. Give the guy a break with the age already. What Munro and his company do is engineering analysis. They take vehicles apart bolt by bolt, circuit by circuit, and provide in depth analysis of potential engineering improvements, and cost cutting for the manufacturing industry. Much of what he suggested on the model 3 tear down has been subsequently implemented into production in newer iterations of the Model 3 design, either because someone at Tesla paid attention to him, or because they had engineers come in house that actually understood the technical manufacturing problems they were having and showed them how to solve them.

Munro is most definitely a straight shooter, and he purposefully does not read about a car, or watch videos so that his impressions are just that (first impressions)... go figure. ?

He has been doing this for a lifetime, with contracts in the aerospace and defense sectors as well, and many of you folks are ripping into the guy because of his age, or because of his lack of familiarity with the software. But what you may not realize is that this is the gig. Looking at something for the very first time with absolutely no knowledge ahead of time to provide valuable feedback for the manufacturer.

Heck if my Dad can't get in a car and figure the thing out guess what, he would never buy the thing. But then again perhaps the car was not designed for him, perhaps the car was designed for me, and people in my demographic age group. But if it was designed for my Dad's demographic and he can't figure it out, then it's time to go back to the drawing board because the manufacturer failed to provide a product that was intuitive enough for the demographic they were targeting, and that kind of feedback would be invaluable to a manufacturer.

I guess the point I'm making here is show the guy some respect. He's got more engineering knowledge than most in the industry, and his analysis of (the engineering) on this vehicle will likely give allot of credence to what Ford put together here, and there are likely allot of people out there looking for that kind of impartial technical analysis from a guy that really knows what he's talking about before they go out and buy.

He knows what makes a good car from an engineering perspective that you and I would likely never possibly understand. Because unlike him we haven't disassembled and categorized and analyzed LITERALLY every freaking part and nut and bolt in THOUSANDS of vehicles like he has. Sure you know your way around the Sync UI.. Congratulations you can press a button and know what it does ?, but someone like Sandy brings far more value than that to the manufacturer and the YouTube community that are simply regurgitating each other's "review videos" over and over and over again without actually saying anything new.

If you want to know if the vehicle was put together well from a nuts and bolts engineering perspective, Sandy will tell you that. If you want an in depth review of the software UI, maybe go elsewhere because that's obviously not what he does.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
To be fair, the video is entitled "First Impressions." He is giving an honest first look at the car just like a first-time buyer would who was not someone who crawls the forums (IOW, not us). This specific video I think is geared toward your average first-time buyer coming out of ICE, not EV fanbois like us. I think that he hits the mark on that.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Without actually understanding what it is someone does, it's kind of hard to evaluate their proficiency. He's not a YouTube reviewer, he's an engineer that happens to share some stuff with YouTube.

He's also not looking at the car the same way you or i would. He's looking at how the thing was bolted together, what fasteners were used, what parts need to be there, and what parts are unnecessary. Heck he used to work for Ford as an Engineer in the earlier part of his career building cars and building the equipment that built the cars... he knows what he's talking about.

Based on the majority of the comments on here, I'd say most folks have no clue what he does, or what his background is, hence the savage commentary on his age or lack of knowledge on navigating the UI.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I think he went a little too quick with some of the stuff though. Had he looked at the pull for the frunk he would have seen that it said X2, which is printed pretty big on it. And he seemed annoyed at the large screen at a glance and really reminded me of my father in law that hates tech. He seemed like he didn't even want to try to mess with it or push any buttons. I'm not super familiar with him, but know of him and his work with the industry. But he seemed a little biased when looking at the tech parts of the car. The rest seemed fair, as he went through the build quality of it. Shame they gave him the base model to look over and not a premium or FE. I was hoping he would comment on the small gap between the roof and windshield too.

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
I’ve got no problems with people who can offer valid criticisms of Mr Munro’s engineering assessments or have questions about how he arrived at his conclusions.

But attacking him because he fumbled for a latch? That’s a shitty look that says more about what sort of person you are than it does about Sandy’s mechanical skills.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Somewhere lies a division, a line between keeping a fresh perspective to avoid biasing your views, and completely winging it to the point where you look like an idiot. I leave it to you, the viewer, to consider upon which side of this line old Sandy has landed.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
Geez some of you guy's are absolutely brutal. Give the guy a break with the age already. What Munro and his company do is engineering analysis. [....]

If you want to know if the vehicle was put together well from a nuts and bolts engineering perspective, Sandy will tell you that. If you want an in depth review of the software UI, maybe go elsewhere because that's obviously not what he does.
why actually yes, I would love to know if the vehicle was put together well from a nuts and bolts engineering perspective. But guess what, there is zero of that info in this video. Instead he calls the car Japanese and says that 'women like the button' and 40 seconds of trying to open the hood.

What did I learn from watching this?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Somewhere lies a division, a line between keeping a fresh perspective to avoid biasing your views, and completely winging it to the point where you look like an idiot. I leave it to you, the viewer, to consider upon which side of this line old Sandy has landed.
He has areas he shines in. But his approach to a new vehicle for a general evaluation leaves a lot to be desired. Watch his id.4 video. I lost all respect for him after that. Hes not paying attention at all and deciding everything has to be the same as a Tesla in that video. Yet, a rental car customer of a Tesla who had never seen one of those would be completely lost.

On the MME, he’s not doing a “I’m a rental car customer, I just want to go” video. He should know something about the car for this type of video. The frunk release was also just an obvious example of his lack of attention. It has a big arsed 2x on it for heavens sake. These videos by him are so bad in my opinion that I would not be surprised to hear him yell, “And stay off my grass!”

Time to move or time for him to join the third decade of the 21st century.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I find him a straight shooter. However, his perspective definitely comes from last gen. But you can be assured he's not been paid off by a manufacturer. Why the double pull on the Hood? That really needs to be electric; or at least electric optional (manual release but open with app). Coming out of grocery store with bags in hand, I don't want to reach down inside the car to open the frunk. Hope there is a cargo net option for the back.

Anyone else watching their order seeing the build date disappear? I know it has come and gone since putting the order in (Nov 2020); but never seen it stay gone for so long. Semiconductor shortage affecting??
You may want to research the front trunk discussion. It’s been gone over at length. Apparently, there’s a regulatory issue that was uncovered late in design that necessitated the introduction of the front trunk divider AND disabling electric releases. Ford will be releasing an update (to Mose North American users ???J later this year to enable electric release. The double pull release is there right now because front hoods require a secondary catch per some regulation. Supposedly, other manufacturers have either gotten a.waiver or are not complying with the regulation.
That’s a summary of my understanding of the 3.8 petabytes of dialog on this topic that I’ve seen. I’m SURE I’ll be corrected if I got any of it wrong ???

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
First, just because someone has “been doing something for a lifetime” and has “a wealth of experience” doesn’t mean they’re necessarily proficient with the latest technology. With the VW ID.4 he was very good I think? I’m not a mechanical engineer) with his commentary on the structural systems in the vehicle. At least it sounded reasonable to me. Modern cars are as much computer as they are mechanical and he really struggled with the VW UI. I think we all would take a bit to get used to a new UI, but I find it hard to believe that Volkswagen has made bringing up the navigation system that obscure. And who uses the term “gps” to refer to a navigation system? GPS actually stands for Global Positioning System and it refers to the spacecraft and associated elements that provide signals that are used for geolocation (yes, people can be pedantic and rip me to shreds on the details of that definition. The point is, nobody calls the navigation system “a gps”). Whenever I hop in a rental car (and I’ve hopped in many), I ALWAYS take a couple of minutes to familiarize myself with the controls and adjust everything before leaving. Much better to do that while parked in a lot than while barreling down a highway in a strange area! And “women like the button”? Come on, that’s just misogynistic. I thought that thinking died with wing vents ???