Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
And who uses the term “gps” to refer to a navigation system? GPS actually stands for Global Positioning System and it refers to the spacecraft and associated elements that provide signals that are used for geolocation (yes, people can be pedantic and rip me to shreds on the details of that definition. The point is, nobody calls the navigation system “a gps”).
Technically, the navigation system uses a GPS receiver. But that's the term no one says (receiver). People call it a GPS all the time. Especially the handheld ones. If someone says my watch has a "GPS", they mean a "GPS receiver".
Sponsored

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
My mache is not Japanese, it’s a Ford Mustang
I think he was just saying the styling has swoopy lines in general, like the Mazda CX-5 and what-not. Not that it's actually Japanese. He's talking about the design language. The Japanese have popularized "animalistic styling" to make their cars look alive, like a tiger or something. In the case of the Mach-e I would say it evokes the feeling of horse muscles.

That's all he's saying.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I think he was just saying the styling has swoopy lines in general, like the Mazda CX-5 and what-not. Not that it's actually Japanese. He's talking about the design language. The Japanese have popularized "animalistic styling" to make their cars look alive, like a tiger or something. In the case of the Mach-e I would say it evokes the feeling of horse muscles.

That's all he's saying.
No, he’s saying it looks like a Japanese designed car. He’s wrong, both factually and style wise.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
No, he’s saying it looks like a Japanese designed car. He’s wrong, both factually and style wise.
If you think something "looks" like something else, you can't be factually wrong.

And he knows enough about Ford to know it's not actually designed by someone in Japan. So all he was saying is it reminds him of the Japanese "animalistic" styling. You can disagree with his characterization but he can't be factually wrong about something that is subjective.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you think something "looks" like something else, you can't be factually wrong.

And he knows enough about Ford to know it's not actually designed by someone in Japan. So all he was saying is it reminds him of the Japanese "animalistic" styling. You can disagree with his characterization but he can't be factually wrong about something that is subjective.
He’s factually wrong because it was designed outside of Japan. You might know what he meant, others here might, but a lot of people watching him on YouTube won’t know that. And style wise? I entirely disagree both his statements and with yours.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
First, just because someone has “been doing something for a lifetime” and has “a wealth of experience” doesn’t mean they’re necessarily proficient with the latest technology. With the VW ID.4 he was very good I think? I’m not a mechanical engineer) with his commentary on the structural systems in the vehicle. At least it sounded reasonable to me. Modern cars are as much computer as they are mechanical and he really struggled with the VW UI. I think we all would take a bit to get used to a new UI, but I find it hard to believe that Volkswagen has made bringing up the navigation system that obscure. And who uses the term “gps” to refer to a navigation system? GPS actually stands for Global Positioning System and it refers to the spacecraft and associated elements that provide signals that are used for geolocation (yes, people can be pedantic and rip me to shreds on the details of that definition. The point is, nobody calls the navigation system “a gps”). Whenever I hop in a rental car (and I’ve hopped in many), I ALWAYS take a couple of minutes to familiarize myself with the controls and adjust everything before leaving. Much better to do that while parked in a lot than while barreling down a highway in a strange area! And “women like the button”? Come on, that’s just misogynistic. I thought that thinking died with wing vents ???
I always refer to the navigation system as a GPS (shorthand for GPS unit I suppose). Many early adopters of GPS for cars in the late 90s refer to it this way.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Technically, the navigation system uses a GPS receiver. But that's the term no one says (receiver). People call it a GPS all the time. Especially the handheld ones. If someone says my watch has a "GPS", they mean a "GPS receiver".
Yes, I’m very familiar with GPS terminology (fun fact: I used to work for the company that built one of the blocks of satellites and know some of the systems engineers involved. I also actually used some of the very early, bulky military handheld “gps receivers”. Way back when SA accuracy to 10’ was considered pretty miraculous!) You are absolutely correct: the devices you might carry with you on a hike, or the devices on boats or aircraft are typically called “GPS receivers” or “GPS system” or “GPS units”. I can’t think of the last time I’ve heard of an in-car system called a “GPS”, particularly since the current receivers support multiple systems, such as GLONASS and Galileo (not sure if it’s fully operational/in commercial use).

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Can I make it past the 29 second mark this time? That is the question.
He didn't go as detailed under the hood as I would expect. He got so excited by the drain and cup holders that he focused a lot on that.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He didn't go as detailed under the hood as I would expect. He got so excited by the drain and cup holders that he focused a lot on that.
Did they have a V-8 Under the hood?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E reviews by Sandy Munro the teardown King - "Ford Can Be Proud Of This" 1619451692288

No ... wait ... don't spoil the surprise!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’m surprised that he didn’t pull the front trunk tub. He really barely looked under the front. Also, I’m not sure why he didn’t like the front strut tower brace. Seems logical to me, but then, I’m not a car designer.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
I’m surprised that he didn’t pull the front trunk tub. He really barely looked under the front. Also, I’m not sure why he didn’t like the front strut tower brace. Seems logical to me, but then, I’m not a car designer.
He'll pull out the front tub in a later video. He's making his videos a lot shorter these days (probably in response to people who said they didn't want to watch videos that were an hour and 15 minutes).

He seemed to think the primary purpose of the strut tower brace was to reduce vibration but I think a light tube like that isn't going to do much for vibration, it's to keep the tops of the towers from flexing under hard cornering forces which makes the car handle more crisply and reduces loads on the structure surrounding the towers.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
He'll pull out the front tub in a later video. He's making his videos a lot shorter these days (probably in response to people who said they didn't want to watch videos that were an hour and 15 minutes).

He seemed to think the primary purpose of the strut tower brace was to reduce vibration but I think a light tube like that isn't going to do much for vibration, it's to keep the tops of the towers from flexing under hard cornering forces which makes the car handle more crisply and reduces loads on the structure surrounding the towers.
Agreed... it's a strut tower brace. They're to stiffen the chassis. I'm really not sure why he said they're for vibration?
Sponsored