jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Cars are getting $$$ and technology will be the big equalizer as well, Take electric motors. What you gonna do? Brag about your windings and voltage? ...
Some probably will... You can pump up the voltage to an electric motor to increase speed. Someone is bound to put in a DC to DC converter to pump up the voltage (or other alterations) and sacrifice some efficiency, battery life, and life of parts for higher speed. That said, you can quickly burn a lot more $$$ in parts doing something wrong than tinkering with parts on a ICE... not to mention the dangers of dealing with high voltage...
Sponsored

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
Some probably will... You can pump up the voltage to an electric motor to increase speed. Someone is bound to put in a DC to DC converter to pump up the voltage (or other alterations) and sacrifice some efficiency, battery life, and life of parts for higher speed. That said, you can quickly burn a lot more $$$ in parts doing something wrong than tinkering with parts on a ICE... not to mention the dangers of dealing with high voltage...
my father was a journeyman electrician and grandfather was a master electrician and master machinist. They would’ve loved the MME. But my farm pumps always got sent out for repair as we didn’t have the shop or equipment to work on them. And modern electric motors are pretty exotic compared with mid 1900’s tech. . That coupled with computer tech makes one wonder just how much “tuner” work could really be done though I could see the aftermarket offering something… but the MME isn’t really setup for plug and play. Just getting to the 12V battery is a major hassle. In watching the various videos on BeV tear-downs it’s pretty clear there’s no user friendly anything. I’d like to put a set of driving lights on my MME but pretty clear they’ll be LED though no place to mount them and certainly my favorite Hella halogens would suck the juice. But someone will get clever and offer accessories.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitter…and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
A friendly competition... I have personally converted 2 people to electric in the 4 weeks I have owned. I am proposing 1 point for EV conversion and 2 points for MMe conversion. My first MMe conversion ordered his about 2 weeks after he drove in mine. My second EV conversion (ordered Polestar) was the day after he rode in my pony. So far, I win with 3 points. C'mon guys, chime in!

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
S
my father was a journeyman electrician and grandfather was a master electrician and master machinist. They would’ve loved the MME. But my farm pumps always got sent out for repair as we didn’t have the shop or equipment to work on them. And modern electric motors are pretty exotic compared with mid 1900’s tech. . That coupled with computer tech makes one wonder just how much “tuner” work could really be done though I could see the aftermarket offering something… but the MME isn’t really setup for plug and play. Just getting to the 12V battery is a major hassle. In watching the various videos on BeV tear-downs it’s pretty clear there’s no user friendly anything. I’d like to put a set of driving lights on my MME but pretty clear they’ll be LED though no place to mount them and certainly my favorite Hella halogens would suck the juice. But someone will get clever and offer accessories.
Since I placed my order I’ve already been trying to figure out if I’m able to swap a GT or GTPE front motor into a premium Extended range AWD. Seems like a straight forward drop in to me… I imagine they would have designed the motors to be modular for assembly and may only require some harness adaptor and an ecu flash of some sort. There’s plenty of tuning opportunities, I just don’t think there’s a good aftermarket or knowledge base for it yet. Higher power density battery replacements and “crate” motors also.

I think the user friendly portion is definitely true but ICE has been heading that direction for a while as well. Don’t get me wrong there are definitely ICE platforms designed specifically with aftermarket and easy tuning in mind, but that could be a market differentiator for a brand in the future.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
S

Since I placed my order I’ve already been trying to figure out if I’m able to swap a GT or GTPE front motor into a premium Extended range AWD. Seems like a straight forward drop in to me… I imagine they would have designed the motors to be modular for assembly and may only require some harness adaptor and an ecu flash of some sort. There’s plenty of tuning opportunities, I just don’t think there’s a good aftermarket or knowledge base for it yet. Higher power density battery replacements and “crate” motors also.

I think the user friendly portion is definitely true but ICE has been heading that direction for a while as well. Don’t get me wrong there are definitely ICE platforms designed specifically with aftermarket and easy tuning in mind, but that could be a market differentiator for a brand in the future.
I so want the GT drivetrain in my Flex. It’s already a quiet smooth ride with that TT animal under the hood just waiting to roar. Turning it BEV would be sweet!

Bueller

First Name
Bueller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Public Affairs
Country flag
My local dealer received 5 MME’s on a Friday night and all were sold by noon on Saturday. There were literally people standing in line to test drive.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
So 55k built but only 21k sold, that is a lot sitting around somewhere
Sponsored