Mach-E Security Threat Break In

Bsales

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Country flag
Yesterday, somebody bypassed the security and was able to unlock the door of my Mach-E. I was alerted by my cell phone, no damage to the car, but they were able to secure entry and steal my gym bag.
When I got to the car within 10 minutes of the alert the car was flashing and alarm was going.
How did they do that?
Is there a flaw in the security? HELP!!!
Sponsored

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yesterday, somebody bypassed the security and was able to unlock the door of my Mach-E. I was alerted by my cell phone, no damage to the car, but they were able to secure entry and steal my gym bag.
When I got to the car within 10 minutes of the alert the car was flashing and alarm was going.
How did they do that?
If the alarm went off they did not unlock the car. Unlocking the car disables the alarm. Are you sure that a window was not left open?

OP
OP

Bsales

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Country flag
If the alarm went off they did not unlock the car. Unlocking the car disables the alarm. Are you sure that a window was not left open?
No Window was left open. I assumed they gained entry, somehow maybe a electrical device, and that’s why the alarm went off.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No Window was left open. I assumed they gained entry, somehow maybe a electrical device, and that’s why the alarm went off.
Carry a Fob or use a phone?
You are sure it was locked?
You did not unlock it when away somehow?
I have noted mine not auto locking a few times since 3.32. Normally you have to tell people how to open the door appears not in this case. Bummer hope not thousands in a gym bag.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
How did they do that?
They didn't use any electronic device, because they set off your alarm. Therefore, they forced entry into the vehicle.

OP
OP

Bsales

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Country flag
Carry a Fob or use a phone?
You are sure it was locked?
You did not unlock it when away somehow?
I have noted mine not auto locking a few times since 3.32. Normally you have to tell people how to open the door appears not in this case. Bummer hope not thousands in a gym bag.
I Only use my iphone and the phone notified me “doors auto locked with walk away setting” and I heard the beep go off as I walked away. The broke into the car about an hour after I parked it.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So they did not clone a fob.

Was the app open and could have you pocket opened the car?

Was there any physical damage to the vehicle that would give you a hint into the way of access?

Your bag was in the car and not left somewhere else.

Not trying to poke you just interested on how this could happen and ruling out.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Is the Mach-E susceptible to a coat hanger attack like most other cars are?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given that the alarm went off, there was no electronic breach of any kind.

Question for OP - your vehicle has a hatch, with a cloth cover, so no one can see inside that area. Why would you leave a bag visible on a seat?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Question for OP - your vehicle has a hatch, with a cloth cover, so no one can see inside that area. Why would you leave a bag visible on a seat?
Lots of reasons for putting things up front including it’s easier to toss it in the seat than hassle with the hatch. The OP has a legitimate concern here. They don’t need us to go “the way you dressed you were asking to be raped“ on them.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

The cover fits well below the floor board even when the board is dropped here. I am not a cover guy and that really does not solve the issue. Hide things when people enter your car?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Never questioned that the OP has a legitimate concern. I do find your analogy a bit over the top.

We had a rash of "open car, take stuff" in our neighborhood some years back. The vehicles "broken into" were in fact, unlocked. Every vehicle that was "broken into" had visible items - change, cell phones, tablets, computers - that were taken. When asked by the Sheriff's office why they didn't remove items (or hide them) and lock their cars, the reply was "I shouldn't have to".

OP locked his vehicle, but left items visible. Had the items not been visible, would the vehicle have been broken into anyway? Who knows.

Every vehicle out there has a way to be broken into. Using Google, one can find numerous methods that involve gaining an opening so that something can be inserted into the vehicle to pull the handle (I'd encourage people not to delve into these methods in a forum, just makes it easier for the next bad guy). Pulling the handle unlocks the vehicle, and sets off the alarm.

I put a hard tonneau cover on my F-150 for this exact reason - so I can put items in there instead of in the cab where they are visible.

A car alarm simply notifies the owner, and others, that the vehicle has been broken into. Leaving items displayed in the vehicle makes it a more likely target than when there are no items displayed in the vehicle.

Hopefully OP filed a police report so at least the police department knows it happened and may be watching more closely in the future.

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cover fits well below the floor board even when the board is dropped here. I am not a cover guy and that really does not solve the issue. Hide things when people enter your car?
Have no idea why you're talking about the hard floor cover. I'm talking about the piece of cloth that hangs over the hatch area and blocks viewing what's in there, which automatically is in place.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Have no idea why you're talking about the hard floor cover. I'm talking about the piece of cloth that hangs over the hatch area and blocks viewing what's in there, which automatically is in place.
The fabric is gone. It fits below the floor board perfect (never under there) for the next owner. Do not like it and do not use it. You have the option and the windows are tinted pretty well; including the rears.

@Bsales Was it locked when you approached the vehicle and the alarms were going off?

BDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Maybe we can all pretend that the OP left their gym bag well hidden, and someone opened the car door, looked around, then stole their bag. The interesting question here about the Mach e is why does the door open when the vehicle is locked but no key is detected? I have had the exact same thing happen in my garage. I wanted to test PaaK, so I checked to make sure the vehicle was properly locked by pressing the door open button (Ford Pass app was disabled, no PaaK working on it). To my surprise, the door opened and the vehicle began to beep. It may have said something about no key detected on the display, but I can't quite recall. After a few seconds the alarm started going off. My physical fob was in the house and may have been close enough to be detected, but why would there be a "close enough to open the door, but not close enough to disable the alarm" setting?
Sponsored