ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
You can get your Mach-E to show you the charging speed and Regen without any permanent modifications. Along with various temperatures from around the car.

Watch this 20-second video.

Here's one from a stoplight at about 50% power.

Here is all you need, along with an app to display it. I am running Car Scanner on Andriod (@Wildthing for sharing), using the CMax values. I would prefer Torque Pro but I don't have the time to write the custom PIDs.

Ford Mustang Mach-E You can get your Mach-E to show charging speed and Regen IMG_4262
Sponsored

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
FYI.
Ford Mustang Mach-E You can get your Mach-E to show charging speed and Regen 01193773-3AF5-40D6-BD28-C2ADE80281D7

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

oooohhhhh, very interesting!
I have never gone shopping for ODBII interface or car scanner Apps, much less used them, ;) I wish this data, especially power in/out was displayed on dashboard calculated from the HV current and Voltage, but a scanner may have to do 'for now'.

Looks like we need:
ODBII dongle
phone app to display

do you have any specific brands that are favorites? Links where to buy? cost?

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I have a cheap wifi obdii (see pix in OP) now years ago I used a Bluetooth one and it stopped working. I see no need to get a name brand one. Mi e was like $9, now they are twice that. lol I’m using the free version of car scanner.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I have a cheap wifi obdii (see pix in OP) now years ago I used a Bluetooth one and it stopped working. I see no need to get a name brand one. Mi e was like $9, now they are twice that. lol I’m using the free version of car scanner.
I'm excited about this.... ordered the 'high end' suggested OBD2 for $25. can't wait to see what I can see!

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Any suggested iPhone apps that might work?

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I stopped to top up before signing the papers. Edit: It looks like this shows the difference between what the charger is sending and what the battery is increasing by.
Ford Mustang Mach-E You can get your Mach-E to show charging speed and Regen 0A5EDF8D-672A-4BE3-BF4B-020ED7378568

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Any suggested iPhone apps that might work?
Yup, Car Scanner is available for iOS as well. I just tried it and it works great. There are tons of values available, and it's completely customizable. You can have multiple dashboards and use it in portrait or landscape orientations. Things like battery age and inside car temperature were nice surprises. The free version has ads at the bottom, but after using it for a few minutes, I was happy to pay $6.99 for a lifetime subscription to the full app.

Ford Mustang Mach-E You can get your Mach-E to show charging speed and Regen 1618771941017

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yup, Car Scanner is available for iOS as well. I just tried it and it works great. There are tons of values available, and it's completely customizable. You can have multiple dashboards and use it in portrait or landscape orientations. Things like battery age and inside car temperature were nice surprises. The free version has ads at the bottom, but after using it for a few minutes, I was happy to pay $6.99 for a lifetime subscription to the full app.
I'm looking forward to it!
.... it would be SOOOOO cool if we can 'create a dashboard' to display what we want. especially if it is possible to write formulas ?! i.e. multiply the HV voltage x HV current, and display Power in kW !

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm looking forward to it!
.... it would be SOOOOO cool if we can 'create a dashboard' to display what we want. especially if it is possible to write formulas ?! i.e. multiply the HV voltage x HV current, and display Power in kW !
Hmm, yeah formulas would be cool. Not sure if it can do that. I’ll have to play around with it. By they way, this is the OBD adapter that I have. It’s kinda pricey, but you have to be careful when using one with iOS because a lot of Bluetooth adapters aren’t supported.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSNVZVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hmm, yeah formulas would be cool. Not sure if it can do that. I’ll have to play around with it. By they way, this is the OBD adapter that I have. It’s kinda pricey, but you have to be careful when using one with iOS because a lot of Bluetooth adapters aren’t supported.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSNVZVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thanks for providing that link! I did not have a OBD, so I ordered the one mentioned as 'ok' on the carscanner.info website. It's nice to know that if I have trouble there is at least one alternative that works!

$25 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTKSCEJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This one works for both both Android and iOS.

20210418_155452.jpg

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
thanks for providing that link! I did not have a OBD, so I ordered the one mentioned as 'ok' on the carscanner.info website. It's nice to know that if I have trouble there is at least one alternative that works!

$25 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTKSCEJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?
in addition to seeing power in/out I am going to be curious if I can confirm the cause of 'black center display'. I suspect there is a temp sensor inside the display, and it prevents display from coming on above *some* temperature. It may, or may not, show up as a logged error.

I have been able to repeat the issue every time by parking facing south and letting the sun hit the back of the display for about an hour. I measured the front of the display yesterday at 135 degF when it failed to come on. It was fine after a while in the garage after cooling down.

OP
OP
ajmartineau

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
My cheap OBDII also works with both Andi and apple.

WHAT WE NEED IS... an app that does all this AND is compatible with AA or Carplay. I would even buy that one. $$$

waIIer

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E (Grabber Blue FE)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E You can get your Mach-E to show charging speed and Regen 1618803423927

Something doesn't compute with those voltage and current values... Do you know which PIDs the app is checking?
Sponsored