PS71

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Country flag
As other ellluede to the title is clickbait. Ford delivered less than 4,000 cars, with another 4,500 cars held back for "quality" issues and one recall already in the books.

Competition is good. While everyone is quick to jump on Tesla for Ford supposedly "eating away" at sales, Ford is the one that will have more issues when there is more competition. KIA, Hyundai, VW, Nissan all have EVs coming out.

Last time I drove past an auto mall, everyone of these dealerships have massive lots of unsold vehicles. Telsa sells every car it makes, and don't have inventory.

Competition is great, and more EVs on the road is great.
Sponsored

PS71

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I know this sounds snarky, but games and fart noises seem like distractions and a way to keep people’s minds off of what really matters when buying a vehicle.

The future is bright for Ford and their leadership appears to be committed to getting the job done with electrification of their lineup.
With a two hour charging curve, Games might come in handy when charging away from home.

As far as the future is bright? Another botched vehicle launch, recall for Mach-E in first few months, holding back 4,500 vehicles, legacy dealership robbing their own customers is hardly a bright future...

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
With a two hour charging curve, Games might come in handy when charging away from home.

As far as the future is bright? Another botched vehicle launch, recall for Mach-E in first few months, holding back 4,500 vehicles, legacy dealership robbing their own customers is hardly a bright future...
I can see where games while charging could be useful and appreciated, good point. I personally would rather use my phone but the whole family could join in I guess?

Ford is doing the right thing by holding back the vehicles to ensure the delivery and initial experience is good for both them and the customer. How is that bad? Sounds like they are learning from their past launches (explorer etc).

No auto manufacture can claim what you’re suggesting with a flawless launch.

Oh and dealers are hardly robbing people when people are making a choice to pay more than MSRP. No dealer had a gun to my head when they told me they were charging ADM. I just simply said no thanks and we parted ways. Lol

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
Not me. My typical commute is much less than the 50 miles, but I just couldn't drive something that unattractive.
While I appreciated the Leaf's quirky looks (no accounting for taste I suppose) I think a far more normal looking compact car along the lines of a Corolla or Civic would do the job. They could build three 32kWh 100 mile compact cars (or 6 Chevy Volts) with the cells that go into each MME.

BEGIN rant-
Batteries are the most costly part of every EV and the limited supply of these cells is the limiting factor in building more EVs. Large packs keep purchase prices of new EVs beyond the reach of many normal people today, those who are buying new ICE Corollas and Civics now.

It makes a lot more sense as a 'big picture' move to make smaller cheaper EVs and get government investment/incentives into building out a strong standardized DC charging network and getting charging into apartments, condos, and rental properties so more working people can charge at home and stop burning gas.

Another move we should make that isn't popular is to really encourage strong PHEVs with 50 or more miles of range. EV fans tend to sneer at them which has really undermined the market for these cars. The same people often sneer at under 200 mile range and over 5 second 0-60 times. Those are not specs that really matter to most people, not really. PHEVs with realistic 50 mile range will let most people drive electric every day in normal life while having the ability to make those occasional long trips even with the inadequate charging network we have in this country today. When I had my Leaf I would rent a gas car to go to South Texas or to Estes Park. When will I be able to drive any <$50,000 EV from Dallas through Taos to Durango?
END Rant-

TLDR: This is my pet peeve. EV owners in the US are pushing for the wrong things to lower carbon emissions. The Europeans are doing it right. Europe has many small EVs on the market and has invested heavily in charging infrastructure. Even Tesla, long rumored to make a small car, is spending its real money on Model S Plaid, and a giant gawky pickup truck.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While I appreciated the Leaf's quirky looks (no accounting for taste I suppose) I think a far more normal looking compact car along the lines of a Corolla or Civic would do the job. They could build three 32kWh 100 mile compact cars (or 6 Chevy Volts) with the cells that go into each MME.

BEGIN rant-
Batteries are the most costly part of every EV and the limited supply of these cells is the limiting factor in building more EVs. Large packs keep purchase prices of new EVs beyond the reach of many normal people today, those who are buying new ICE Corollas and Civics now.

It makes a lot more sense as a 'big picture' move to make smaller cheaper EVs and get government investment/incentives into building out a strong standardized DC charging network and getting charging into apartments, condos, and rental properties so more working people can charge at home and stop burning gas.

Another move we should make that isn't popular is to really encourage strong PHEVs with 50 or more miles of range. EV fans tend to sneer at them which has really undermined the market for these cars. The same people often sneer at under 200 mile range and over 5 second 0-60 times. Those are not specs that really matter to most people, not really. PHEVs with realistic 50 mile range will let most people drive electric every day in normal life while having the ability to make those occasional long trips even with the inadequate charging network we have in this country today. When I had my Leaf I would rent a gas car to go to South Texas or to Estes Park. When will I be able to drive any <$50,000 EV from Dallas through Taos to Durango?
END Rant-

TLDR: This is my pet peeve. EV owners in the US are pushing for the wrong things to lower carbon emissions. The Europeans are doing it right. Europe has many small EVs on the market and has invested heavily in charging infrastructure. Even Tesla, long rumored to make a small car, is spending its real money on Model S Plaid, and a giant gawky pickup truck.
Agree with most of that. But "home" charging (apartments/condos) needs to be "plug in and forget it for the night" L2 IMO, not DCFC. If we want coax buyers to EVs, it needs to be as easy as possible. That means plugging in when they get home, and unplugging when they leave the next morning. NOT having to play musical chairs waiting for others to unplug, run out and move your car, then go back out 40 minutes later to unplug and move it again.

That means 12 L2 charges in an apartment parking lot are better than 2 DCFC. And probably about the same cost to install and maintain.

Totally agree about PHEV, especially this decade. I think PHEV will be big this decade, waiting for better range, cheaper batteries, and better infrastructure to ramp up.

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
Agree with most of that. But "home" charging (apartments/condos) needs to be "plug in and forget it for the night" L2 IMO, not DCFC. If we want coax buyers to EVs, it needs to be as easy as possible. That means plugging in when they get home, and unplugging when they leave the next morning. NOT having to play musical chairs waiting for others to unplug, run out and move your car, then go back out 40 minutes later to unplug and move it again.

That means 12 L2 charges in an apartment parking lot are better than 2 DCFC. And probably about the same cost to install and maintain.

Totally agree about PHEV, especially this decade. I think PHEV will be big this decade, waiting for better range, cheaper batteries, and better infrastructure to ramp up.
L2 @ home is what I intended. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Telsa sells every car it makes, and don't have inventory.
Well, maybe you can explain the hundreds (thousands?) of Teslas jammed into parking lots on Fremont BLVD, south of Cushing- in Fremont, just blocks from the factory.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
It makes a lot more sense as a 'big picture' move to make smaller cheaper EVs and get government investment/incentives into building out a strong standardized DC charging network
What exactly would be the point of having a strong DC charging network for cheap EVs with a 100 mile range? It's not like they would ever be taken on a long road trip.
Another move we should make that isn't popular is to really encourage strong PHEVs with 50 or more miles of range. EV fans tend to sneer at them which has really undermined the market for these cars.
I totally agree about PHEV with a 50 mile range. In fact, before MME was announced, I was really thinking that I would get PHEV Escape, once it came out. But then Ford solved the ugly BEV problem with MME. Also, I spent more than 6 years living with C-Max PHEV, visiting a gas station 1-3 times a year. And rather than build an expensive DC charging network, why not have inexpensive L1 chargers at office buildings. You come to work in the morning, plug in, and your battery is ready for the drive home. Same for apartment buildings and condos.
While I appreciated the Leaf's quirky looks
There is never a need to make BEV or PHEV buyers to long for classic styling of 1970's Trabant or Zaporozhets.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Well, maybe you can explain the hundreds (thousands?) of Teslas jammed into parking lots on Fremont BLVD, south of Cushing- in Fremont, just blocks from the factory.
those are a figment of your imagination, just like robotaxis are and forever will be. ?

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Every auto factory has a lot like that of built vehicles awaiting shipment.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
At this time the Tesla order page says 1 to 2 weeks delivery for Model 3 and Y. That would say currently they have little backlog on their orders.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Sure, but in this case there are never any car haulers taking them off to la la land like all the production worthy units. I think they are defects.

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Tesla sending out emails, like this one I just received today, tells me they don’t have the waiting list like they used to. I do think a lot of potential buyers are waiting to see if the Federal tax incentive for EVs will go back into effect for Tesla.

It could also be that competition, such as the Mach E, is requiring Tesla to push more marketing as well.

FE33B95C-56E1-4DC4-8421-4BC0B49F0FAB.jpeg

Last edited:

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
What exactly would be the point of having a strong DC charging network for cheap EVs with a 100 mile range? It's not like they would ever be taken on a long road trip. ...
While no reasonable person would choose a Gen 1 Leaf for cross-continent jog most people make much shorter trips. Abundant charging could make the occasional trip from Dallas to Austin or LA to Vegas possible.

There is never a need to make BEV or PHEV buyers to long for classic styling of 1970's Trabant or Zaporozhets.
The Trabant is a collector's item now, right?

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Tesla sending out emails, like this one I just received today, tells me they don’t have the waiting list like they used to. I do think a lot of potential buyers are waiting to see if the Federal tax incentive for EVs will go back into effect for Tesla.

It could also be that competition, such as the Mach E, is requiring Tesla to push more marketing as well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Steals Major Tesla EV Share in February FE33B95C-56E1-4DC4-8421-4BC0B49F0FAB
Perhaps the shareholders aren't as happy about the Elon vision of all types of electric vehicles. It's not all about the environment.

Tesla and their customers are the pioneers to get this started. The mach-e and others to follow are the game changes to drive the mass market. Tesla can never do that or not alone much to shareholders frustration.

A computerized electric go kart only goes so far in the market.