agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
nice pics. thanks. Since no-none could touch it, it sure was shiny. keep in mind those blue lights made the color look a little bit unnatural neonish.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
nice pics. thanks. Since no-none could touch it, it sure was shiny. keep in mind those blue lights made the color look a little bit unnatural neonish.
Oh yea - I had to change the white balance a bit to off-set the blue lights all around it.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
As you can see, the seats on the Wash DC Gt are 100% different than the configuration for the GT. Even the bolsters on the sides of the seat seem a little bigger, but not really sure. However, it still looks rather flat and unsupportive to me, especially towards the front of the seat where you would have a little under the leg support area. I guess we'll see sooner or later.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stole the show in D.C. (Washington Auto Show) 2020-01-27_9-59-52

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
I can't get over how much I dislike these "tablets glued to dashboards" -- so disappointing. I think I'll wait for a BEV with an embedded computer screen instead; this would annoy me too much. Otherwise, the Mach-E looks amazingly good; too bad that they're letting one horrible design flaw ruin the rest of the vehicle -- and I can't imagine that I'm alone in this. (Examples of elegantly embedded computer screens: e-tron, Rivian, I-Pace, Bolt, Clarity, Ioniq, Niro, Soul, EQC, Taycan, Model S, Leaf, eGolf, XC40. It looks like the tacky "glue-on" cars are the Mach-E, Polestar 2, and Model 3. Too bad... The only BEV grabbing my attention in the embedded group is the XC40 at this point; the others are either too crappy-looking for my taste or too expensive.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
too bad that they're letting one horrible design flaw ruin the rest of the vehicle
If it bugs you that much then it isn't the car for you, but I am not sure that Ford is the one letting a single design choice "ruin" the vehicle. Building that large of a screen into the dash would either cause a huge hump on the dash, or it would have to be moved 5 inches down into the area where the USB ports and phone trays are. It would also likely make the air vents more problematic. I am sure that they considered lots of factors that you and I have no idea about to come up with the placement of the screen. Something tells me if you gave it time your dissatisfaction would decrease and you wouldn't discard the car as an option.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it bugs you that much then it isn't the car for you, but I am not sure that Ford is the one letting a single design choice "ruin" the vehicle. Building that large of a screen into the dash would either cause a huge hump on the dash, or it would have to be moved 5 inches down into the area where the USB ports and phone trays are. It would also likely make the air vents more problematic. I am sure that they considered lots of factors that you and I have no idea about to come up with the placement of the screen. Something tells me if you gave it time your dissatisfaction would decrease and you wouldn't discard the car as an option.
Oh, it's absolutely still an option for me, because I like just about everything else about the Mach-E. But, to counter what you just wrote trying to explain reasoning behind the tacked-on tablet, look at all the other cars I listed in my previous posting above to see how they managed a way around it. Just bad design logic.

Bob

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac SRX
Country flag
They wouldn't let me sit in it last night, thus, I was very disappointed. My friend even threatened to cancel his fake reservation.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E stole the show in D.C. (Washington Auto Show) 2020-01-27_9-59-52
Thanks for the pics and commentary. More is better. I keep waiting for one of the prototypes to come to Seattle so I can drive down to see it in the flesh.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm guessing that if you have a problem with the instrument panel after the Mach E warranty runs out, and you have to pay for it yourself, you may be glad for the stand alone display. I don't like the aesthetics either but I do have high hopes for the functionality. (Have you ever tried selecting the correct button on older, smaller, in-dash sync systems on bumpy roads)

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I understand the sentiment about the tablet. But at a certain size it kinda needs to be like that. I just wish the rest of the interior was a wee bit nicer to match the exterior. I would have gladly paid a little more for it.

bjmsam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Toyota Rav4 V6, '10 Infiniti G37xS, Mach-E GT reserved
Country flag
I visited the show today which, in my opinion, Jaguar and Toyota stole.

1. Jaguar was employing six I-Pace BEVs to drive folks around an indoor track. We accelerated hard, sailed over moguls, conquered a steep hill, drifted through turns, etc. The vehicle is quick and stable with a premium interior. Very impressive. The reps were knowledgable, offering that the 2020 model is rated to tow (~3/4 ton?) and the panoramic roof can accommodate a cargo rack. I also got a hat and a Jag bag. :) They really are promoting it well.

2. Toyota had the 2021 RAV4 Prime PHEV roped off on a stationary platform near a range of similar 2020 RAV4 models to sit in and explore. It's a bit larger than the I-Pace and Mach-E and more of a proper SUV. A roof rack was installed and the rep expects it will tow 3,500 lbs (the rating will be announced soon). He said it will offer the instant torque of a BEV without the range anxiety (90MPGe and 500+ miles per tank). Very compelling.

3. Ford had the Mach-E GT roped off on a stationary platform. Though it is attractive from a distance, I was unable to get a good feel for it without access. When I asked about tow hitch and roof rack options, the rep replied, "Sorry, those are not recommended. It is not an SUV, it is an SUV-sized crossover." They could do a better job with marketing.

4. Chevy had the mid-engine C8 corvette on display. What an impressive vehicle for $60k.

5. Jeep had the other indoor track, which emphasized the off-road prowess of their various models (all ICE). Cool.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand the sentiment about the tablet. But at a certain size it kinda needs to be like that. I just wish the rest of the interior was a wee bit nicer to match the exterior. I would have gladly paid a little more for it.
no, it doesn't "need to be like that". The Model S has a bigger computer screen, and it's nicely incorporated into the dashboard -- not tacked on as if an afterthought. There are other automakers coming out with big computer screens that are also nicely embedding the screen into the dashboard, or at least not making it look so cheap and tacky.

And now I'm noticing how tacky the "instrument panel" behind the steering wheel is -- again, it seems to be just an afterthought add-on. Most traditional cars have instrument panels tucked under an overhanging dashboard, to keep sunlight from affecting visibility of the gauges. Looks like this will suffer big-time from solar glare, with no overhead protection. It's really too bad, because other than this, the Mach-E looks fabulous.

Last edited:

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I visited the show today which, in my opinion, Jaguar and Toyota stole.

1. Jaguar was employing six I-Pace BEVs to drive folks around an indoor track. We accelerated hard, sailed over moguls, conquered a steep hill, drifted through turns, etc. The vehicle is quick and stable with a premium interior. Very impressive. The reps were knowledgable, offering that the 2020 model is rated to tow (~3/4 ton?) and the panoramic roof can accommodate a cargo rack. I also got a hat and a Jag bag. :) They really are promoting it well.

2. Toyota had the 2021 RAV4 Prime PHEV roped off on a stationary platform near a range of similar 2020 RAV4 models to sit in and explore. It's a bit larger than the I-Pace and Mach-E and more of a proper SUV. A roof rack was installed and the rep expects it will tow 3,500 lbs (the rating will be announced soon). He said it will offer the instant torque of a BEV without the range anxiety (90MPGe and 500+ miles per tank). Very compelling.
Interesting report... I test-drove an I-Pace last year and found it fun to drive and a nice size (but too expensive for what you get). My wife wants to get the RAV4 Prime when it comes out this summer, so we'll probably get one of the first ones available. With the ability to drive up to 39 miles (alleged by Toyota) in all-electric mode, she would probably do most of her driving that way around town, and we might go months without filling up on gas, but yet we wouldn't have to worry about range anxiety for out-of-town trips. The RAV4 Prime will be our second PHEV. The big debate is whether I'll get a BEV (our first) or another PHEV next, but I think that we will never again buy a non-plugin car.

Last edited:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The ipace is a non starter for me. I sat in one and the rear window is like the size of a slit. Useless. That was the end of that. model 3 rear window isn't a whole lot better. Not sure about the Y's, but the Mach E's seemed fine.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Does anyone know how you would get the rims from the DC car show? The GT configurator only shows the other 20" style, which isn't bad, but the show car ones are even better looking in my opinion. Did they say if there will be additional choices for options once they convert your reservation to an order?
Sponsored