Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I looked through that thread and there was talk of three, so this doesn't seem like a remotely common issue.
Plus, we have no idea if the causes are similar. That's the problem with anecdotal reports on a forum. Small sample sizes can get magnified by a lot of noise and conjecture and appear to be bigger than they are.
Time will tell with this issue.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I looked through that thread and there was talk of three, so this doesn't seem like a remotely common issue.
Plus, we have no idea if the causes are similar. That's the problem with anecdotal reports on a forum. Small sample sizes can get magnified by a lot of noise and conjecture and appear to be bigger than they are.
There are more threads...

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/hev-hazard-and-powertrain-malfunction-reduced-power.5771/

Last edited:

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
There are definitely a few mentions of this issue out there from folks on this forum. Been trying to see how prevalent this issue actually is with this poll.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mme-high-voltage-battery-issues.7602/

OP
OP
vulpes

vulpes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silver MME, 4ex
Country flag
Got an update from the dealer. Ford Technical hotline told them that getting a brand new battery will take too long and they should replace the broken module only. Makes me less optimistic in the fix, but that is obviously the m.o. reading other threads here. Apparently it also took out one of the bus bars, so they have that on order as well. ETA is 2 weeks, and both parts are back ordered, so although I feel like that ETA is unlikely.

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey all. Strap in and go on a hellish fourth of July roadtrip journey with me in a Silver MachE that I purchased in March which almost, but not quite, made it to 10k miles and was almost, but not quite, able to actually deliver on the promise of all-electric non tesla roadtrips.

IMG_3357.jpg

Over 4th of July weekend, we decided to take a road trip to Seattle from our home town of Boulder, CO (just north-west of Denver). One way it's about 1350 miles, so we split the drive into 2 days, took advantage of free charging (which most people didn't know was coming) on Electrify America, and made it to Seattle with zero issues. Aside from an odd "not available" outage that EA had, we had no fears at all of not making it to our vacation destination.

We had some weird motion sensor issues on the ferry, where car refused to turn off its motion sensors and the alarm kept going off in the ferry car bay. Other than that, we had a wonderful trip and headed home on the 9th. First leg, we drove through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and some of Utah, where we stopped for the night for a car charge and a human re-charge at a hotel. By the next day, with 75% battery , we've had 2 uneventful charge sessions: 27% in Spanish Fork and 43% at Green River, and we were well on our way to either last or 2nd to last charge at Grand Junction, CO.

We stopped by to get some lunch before charging, turning the car off and walking into Chipotle. Burrito and tacos in tow, we were ready to head over to the Sams Club EA charger, less than a mile down the road. Ignition is hit, we get the "seatbelt" beep, but car won't go into gear and "Stop safely now" is displayed on the dash, hidden behind "Full accessory power", mind you, but we're busted. Uh-oh.

We figure, its 120F, we just juiced it up a hill from 110 miles away, and the car sat on a hot pavement while my burrito and my partners tacos were masterfully crafted inside, so maybe it needs to sit and think about what its done. We eat our food, return back 20 minutes later, same issue. Dang. Ok, Ford can help us, right? After all we just passed by a dealership, 2 miles up the road. We call up their service department, and Amanda there tells me, they won't be able to see us until the 7th of August. I plead, as nicely as I can, that I am broken down, less than 300 miles from home, is there anything they can do? Amada says maybe, but she makes no promises and says it is unlikely.

Alright, so local dealership is out, next nearest one on our stalled path home is in Rifle, CO. Call them up, they're closed until Monday. Fantastic, we're stranded. Call Ford roadside, tell them that 2 dealerships nearby aren't helpful, ask them what it would cost to tow the car closer to our house? Their answer: $1270 dollars. We still don't know whats wrong with the car, FordPass isn't giving any indicator of an issue (even now, more than a week later vehicle health says all is good), and ODB-II diagnostic dongle isn't pulling any codes. Decision is made to see if a longer wait (it is still 100+ degrees outside) would bring the Pony back to life and save us $1270 + a car rental, and maybe find a more willing tow truck to deliver it to Denver for less than $4 a mile.

Next morning, the car still won't start. So a U-Haul box truck rental later, as the city had 0 rental cars available, we're back on the road and the tow truck will be delivering my car to a dealership in the Denver area by open of business on Monday. With the hotel, uhaul, ubers to get all of this done, and a reasonable tow cost ($700) we're still under that $1270 estimate Ford roadside gave me.

Dealership provided a rental, a sexy EcoSport AWD, which took 5 days to approve & receive. Thank god we have a 2nd car and I work at home, otherwise last week would've been a nightmare.

So what went wrong? It took over a week to diagnose (dealer in town is just as busy), but they're saying bad HV battery module, requires replacement of the entire battery pack. ETA to get the car back? No clue.

TLDR: Stranded on a 3000 mile road trip less than 290 miles from home, Ford isn't very helpful in reimbursing or prioritizing broken down/stranded service appointments. Root cause is faulty HV battery module that requires a full battery swap and timeframe is unknown.

[
UPDATE 1]: Dealer got told by ford to only replace one module & cable that apparently broke in the process and how they were able to identify the issue.
Had some cells replaced in ours after dash and Ford Pass alerts. I though the warranty was that us owners can decide where to tow it if we have a choice in Ford dealers under 30 miles. If the closest was over 30 miles, they choose. Not understanding the $1,270 estimate. Can you clarify?

OP
OP
vulpes

vulpes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silver MME, 4ex
Country flag
Had some cells replaced in ours after dash and Ford Pass alerts. I though the warranty was that us owners can decide where to tow it if we have a choice in Ford dealers under 30 miles. If the closest was over 30 miles, they choose. Not understanding the $1,270 estimate. Can you clarify?
I was 300 miles away from home and over a 11k mountain pass in one of the busiest roadways in the state, given all that I didn't want my car to be that far away. In addition, I had real concerns about dealerships in Grand Junction area actually fixing my car correctly. The estimate was to tow it to a Denver-area dealership, they were going off of $4/mile plus whatever. I have a request for reimbursement for my tow bill, we'll see if ford decides to honor it.

pumasalad

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e (red)
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
my mach-e is my first Ford. with the issues surrounding the order, and then the bugs all over the interface, the utter failure of the keyless car scenario, and the stories like this one and the ones coming out of Norway, it'll probably be my last Ford. I'm hoping that the one I have doesn't give me any more trouble until I can dump the lease. Every time I get in it I fear that something will go wrong and it'll take 6 months to get the part (after we get someone at Ford to talk to us). At least the few times that mine has refused to start, we've been able to wait for a minute or two and get it going again.

OP
OP
vulpes

vulpes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silver MME, 4ex
Country flag
Alright, an update is in order.

Day 38 in the shop, 33 business days without the car (this is relevant for colorado lemon law).

The battery issue has been fixed (as claimed by them, but I believe it), they were able to fast charge the car. I was suppose to get the car back on Aug 6th with the fixed battery & all relevant software module updates, but this update is written with no car in sight.

Before returning the car, they called me and told me, the service department scratched my driver door, so they'd take it to body shop to be fixed. 7 Days later, I get call, come grab your car, door ding is fixed, everything is good to go. Before I can make plans to drive to the dealership, they give me another call, saying they scratched the bumper and it has to go back to the body shop.

I asked to start the lemon process, so will I update with what I decide to do and what they will offer. I still have no resolution on reimbursement for my costs to get the car to the dealership after it got me stranded which amounts to over $1300. No clear answer on possible monthly payment reimbursement either.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Alright, an update is in order.

Day 38 in the shop, 33 business days without the car (this is relevant for colorado lemon law).

The battery issue has been fixed (as claimed by them, but I believe it), they were able to fast charge the car. I was suppose to get the car back on Aug 6th with the fixed battery & all relevant software module updates, but this update is written with no car in sight.

Before returning the car, they called me and told me, the service department scratched my driver door, so they'd take it to body shop to be fixed. 7 Days later, I get call, come grab your car, door ding is fixed, everything is good to go. Before I can make plans to drive to the dealership, they give me another call, saying they scratched the bumper and it has to go back to the body shop.

I asked to start the lemon process, so will I update with what I decide to do and what they will offer. I still have no resolution on reimbursement for my costs to get the car to the dealership after it got me stranded which amounts to over $1300. No clear answer on possible monthly payment reimbursement either.
Any update here?

OP
OP
vulpes

vulpes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silver MME, 4ex
Country flag
OK, so a final update:

- I got the car back at the end of August. I put in 800 miles on it since, with no issues fast/level 2 charging. Issue seems to be resolved.
- For those wondering, the car was built in January, 2021.
- I got a $2k reimbursement which included hotel, rentals, tow, and a car payment.
- They offered me an extended service plan, which I denied, but asked for Premium Maintenance Plan which they did for 45,000 miles/36 months.
- I was given a rental car (Ford EcoSport with a flat tire, followed by Ford Fusion Platinum), and all costs were reimbursed.
- Lemon law request was denied, reason stated was that it did not fall under Colorado Lemon Law rules. My next step would be to go through BBB/Lawyer and I decided against that. If it breaks again, I will be doing it.
- I asked dealership to do a PaaK update which they did not do, and every dealer in the area is booked until October. Ford Rep called to all local dealerships to try to expedite, with no luck.

I would say overall, dealership experience is a 2/5, they took 2 extra weeks to fix the car, scratching it twice in the process, failed to do a basic PaaK software update after I explicitly requested it. There is now a rattle in the driver door. No loyalty or willingness to fix their own mistakes (could just be Larry H Miller Ford in Lakewood). Also, all dealerships are blaming COVID for worker/service bay shortage (maybe pay your workers more?) so I can't go back to address these issues until October.

Ford Corporate experience is 4/5. They did stay extremely communicative (calling twice a week with updates), did end up offering me a Maintenance Plan, and a full reimbursement. They should've approved the reimbursement prior to the car being fixed & returned to me. I think they also need to strong arm dealers into prioritizing cases such as mine for service appointments as that builds brand loyalty instead of Dealership loyalty. I shouldn't need to reach out, or have a personal connection to a salesman, to be seen in a reasonable amount of time.

I hate the fact that I got stranded, that I had to be extremely persistent to have my issue promptly diagnosed and fixed and had to advocate for myself every step along the way, but I am happy that Ford was willing to take care of me and getting stranded at no cost (other than 8+ hours of my time).

Angelnx1985

First Name
Anjel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
I'm glad they were able to resolve your issue. I may have similar/same issue as you do. The module of my first edition mach-e would not charge the 12v battery. I got stranded three times since late June. First time was km Chicago my hometown
Second was my drive back to LA and stranded in denver. Thank goodness I didn't get stuck in the mountains. And third time (which is still currently in dealership) in California. I haven't seen my car in 12 weeks! I'll leave my thread link below. But I gotta ask you something. This whole time I've been making my car payments. Did I hear you correctly and ford corporate reimbursed your payments? Cause I was originally going to demand they pay my flight from/to Denver when I got stranded then.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/stranded-stop-safely-now-12volt-battery-dies.8062/

OP
OP
vulpes

vulpes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silver MME, 4ex
Country flag
Long term update: We recently went on a 2400 mile trip to San Diego, and car performed with zero issues. Whatever the problem was with the battery, 5000 miles later, it hasn't reappeared.
Sponsored