Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Question for all you auto enthusiasts:

The 225 tires on the MME are obviously a bit narrow, and with the additional weight of the AWD ER, I’m expecting that I’ll go through tires on a fairly frequent basis. I currently drive on 225 run flats on a BMW 3 Series, and they generally last 45,000+ miles, although the BMW is more than 1,000 pounds lighter. I’m guessing that I’ll need to replace the all-seasons every 30,000-35,000 miles or so. Is that a decent guess?
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
A neighbor of ours runs a string of tire shops and repair centers out here. His comment about EV's, in general, is they tend to go through tires about 30% faster than ICE vehicles. FWIW.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
A neighbor of ours runs a string of tire shops and repair centers out here. His comment about EV's, in general, is they tend to go through tires about 30% faster than ICE vehicles. FWIW.
Makes sense. All that torque takes its toll, even far from all out acceleration.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

The 225 tires on the MME are obviously a bit narrow, and with the additional weight of the AWD ER, I’m expecting that I’ll go through tires on a fairly frequent basis. I currently drive on 225 run flats on a BMW 3 Series, and they generally last 45,000+ miles, although the BMW is more than 1,000 pounds lighter. I’m guessing that I’ll need to replace the all-seasons every 30,000-35,000 miles or so. Is that a decent guess?
Yep. Good guess.
The load carrying capacity is in the sidewall so the tire width doesn't really matter in that regard. The width affects grip and rolling resistance. A wide tire will likely give better traction all else being equal but will also have greater rolling resistance......especially at higher speeds and in inclement weather. With a larger contact patch, the tire pumps more liquid and there is much greater drag.

So, select your replacement tires carefully if range and efficiency are a concern. If you are mainly interested in increased grip and appearance then get whatever you like. Just be aware that your range will be affected.

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yep. Good guess.
The load carrying capacity is in the sidewall so the tire width doesn't really matter in that regard. The width affects grip and rolling resistance. A wide tire will likely give better traction all else being equal but will also have greater rolling resistance......especially at higher speeds and in inclement weather. With a larger contact patch, the tire pumps more liquid and there is much greater drag.

So, select your replacement tires carefully if range and efficiency are a concern. If you are mainly interested in increased grip and appearance then get whatever you like. Just be aware that your range will be affected.
Good to know. I’m thankful that there are tons of experts here to get useful information and become better educated on vehicle design and operations; it means I’ll be spending time on this forum well after getting my MME.

Reactions: ARK

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
The original factory tires never last as long as the same model tire bought later because the auto manufacturer has enough clout to have them manufactured with a softer rubber to facilitate smooth as possible test drives.

I have had factory tires wear out in just over 20,000 miles on a Prius and a Leaf that were not that fast.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The original factory tires never last as long as the same model tire bought later because the auto manufacturer has enough clout to have them manufactured with a softer rubber to facilitate smooth as possible test drives.

I have had factory tires wear out in just over 20,000 miles on a Prius and a Leaf that were not that fast.
Agree.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag

Since you brought up Prius and Leaf, I want to provide a counter anecdote: the OEM tires on current Ford lasted 55k miles. I replaced them due to damage, not tread wear.

Maybe the manufacturer using softer tires thing doesn't apply to Ford?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Since you brought up Prius and Leaf, I want to provide a counter anecdote: the OEM tires on current Ford lasted 55k miles. I replaced them due to damage, not tread wear.

Maybe the manufacturer using softer tires thing doesn't apply to Ford?
Agreed - I've always replaced tires on my Fords with the exact same as what they came with because I was very satisfied with both treadwear and performance. This goes all the way back to my 1988 F250.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag

As an EV owner for many years I’d say real world it feels like about 3 day or 150miles. Whichever comes first ? LOL

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag

I know range will be effected but would like to have the option of runflats that will fit the Premiums

OP
OP
BadgerGreg

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I know range will be effected but would like to have the option of runflats that will fit the Premiums
Yes! Without a spare tire, I would prefer run flats. I’m not too confident with the tire repair kit and portable inflater they’ve included. When the OEM tires wear down and need to be replaced, I’ll seriously consider switching back to run flats. The only downside is that they’re more rigid and roughen the ride a bit. Regardless, they’ve saved my hide numerous times and I’m a fan.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The 225 tires on the MME are obviously a bit narrow, and with the additional weight of the AWD ER, I’m expecting that I’ll go through tires on a fairly frequent basis.
It's the torque not the weight. Your guess of 30K miles might be right. Might also be a bit less. A lot also depends on the roads.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I can tell you this. from people I know that have EV. It is correct about 30% faster tire wear. If you rotate and not hard you might get 25%.

But no oil changes and brakes so it's a great trade-off.
My nephew's model 3 has 28,000 miles on the original tires and he got 42,000 out of his model s before having to get a new set.