GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I think people ought to temper their enthusiasm till we have an available adapter and we know more about the economics of charging:

1. Cost of adapter (I assume it’ll probably be reasonable)
2. Cost of charging on SC vs other available options
3. Subscription to BlueOval Charging Network, once free subscription expires (I mean if Ford quadrupled BC sub overnight with no real improvements, I see many execs in Dearborn licking their chops for another avenue to get 8% ebidta margin)

Also, charting SC options vs EA and EVgo between Chicago and Detroit (literally the only route I care about), it seems that the SC chargers are in the same locations as CCS and are typically busier. So no tangible benefit for me at all. But appreciate that others might be in a different situation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I saw this. I was pretty impressed with his responses. Didn’t seem too canned or rehearsed (unlike the guests Jim Cramer gets 😀😀😀)

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Maybe the 2025 MME will get the automatic charge port opening at SC

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Maybe the 2025 MME will get the automatic charge port opening at SC
Listening to the Twitter announcement and subsequent interviews, Farley specifically cited changing “second cycle” vehicles to NACS, which MME is not. Ford is using “cycle” terminology to mean a wave of new vehicle intros, not mid-cycle enhancements. Also, the Munro Live video (that someone posted a link to on this thread) shows how substantially different the internal components are between the CCS / J1772 combo and NACS. I suspect that Ford will stick with CCS port for this generation of MMEs until they completely change the vehicle in their “third cycle” of EVs. This is all speculation on my part, so I could be off.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm super stoked at this news! A portable adapter with access to V3s pretty much resolves everyone's road trip charging issues. The only major question I have is, will the adapter length be optimized for the MME and Lightning?

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I think people ought to temper their enthusiasm till we have an available adapter and we know more about the economics of charging:

1. Cost of adapter (I assume it’ll probably be reasonable)................
Didn't Farley announce the adapter would be shipped for free to all existing Ford EV owners?

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Not exactly.
I’m not sure how else to interpret what he said. He literally said:
“We’re going to ship adapters to everyone who has bought a Ford EV so this isn’t just for the future.”

If they were going to sell the adapter wouldn’t he have said something along the lines of:
“We’re going to make an adapter available via Ford.com and the dealer network.”
That would imply it’s not free.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Didn't Farley announce the adapter would be shipped for free to all existing Ford EV owners?
Some have interpreted his statements to mean that, but it isn't confirmed that interpretation is correct. I think the best we will see is Ford providing a free adapter to every owner who requests it. Worst case we will have to buy it, maybe at a discount if we can prove we are a Ford BEV owner.

Guessing is fun. You should try it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
“We’re going to ship adapters to everyone who has bought a Ford EV so this isn’t just for the future.”

If they were going to sell the adapter wouldn’t he have said something along the lines of:
And the headlight switch bug will be fixed in November of 2022.

Until it happens, we won't know for sure. A lot can change in a year.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Farley misspeaking is not unheard of (frunk button?), and anything implied in a CNBC interview is not legally binding. I agree that it certainly sounds like he was saying they would be free, but that’s not what he said. The message in FordPass implies there will be a price, so which is right? If I had to guess, I would say that he likely meant to say “offer” instead of “ship”. But guessing gets us nowhere. Nobody here knows, so nobody should be stating anything as fact.

cdiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
And the notice in the FordPass app says:
"Adapter pricing as well as charging rates will be shared closer to Tesla Superchargers becoming available through the BlueOval Charge Network."

Maybe it'll be free. After all, even if they give you one for free, that doesn't mean your second one when you leave it behind by accident will be, so it'll still have a price. Or maybe Farley misspoke and it won't be free. Or maybe it'll be "free" where it costs money but you get that back in supercharging credits. We'll find out in a yearish. Supposedly.
Sponsored