Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
I was thinking that too, leave the CCS where it is and make a separate rear port for NACS.

The Leaf always had two connectors, J1772 and Chademo.
Just sounds like adding unnecessary cost at that point though, especially when Tesla was already retrofitting CCS adapters.
Sponsored

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I’m not a huge fan of Elon’s, but that was quite the lovefest. If I didn’t know better, I almost thought they were going to announce Tesla’s acquisition of Ford because of Ford’s awesome software capabilities (and to solve Tesla’s cyber truck problem). 😀😀😀😀😀
Yeah it definitely was. It was interesting to hear Elmo say something like, "Anything we can do help Jim, we'd be more than happy to do". I was thinking to myself that it sounds great, but would they reallyyyyyyy be interested any doing anything they can to help Ford.......a competitor? I kind of doubt it, but it made for a good sound bite during the lovefest. And then at the end it was kind of funny to hear Farley say, "great platform you have here, love it"....referring to Twitter Spaces.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Honestly, I am both "the Tesla supercharging network is excellent," and "Do I really want more of my money funding Elon Musk and the hateful things he says and does?"

From a tech standpoint, this is a smart move. The Tesla connector is smaller, lighter, and more streamlined than CCS connectors. But from a moral standpoint, I get why some people are very disappointed in this move.
We're all funding billionaires, hard to protest things in capitalism (not a knock on it, it just is what it is)

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
At first glance...
  1. Sucks for us Gen 1 owners, but such is life for early adopters. Comes with the territory.
  2. Great for Gen 2 on, and a smart long term decision.
  3. Elon said that their intent is to have Ford owners on "equal footing" with Tesla owners. Tesla owners will not be happy.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Yes, just read the article also. So I sure hope the adapter includes a long enough cable so we can fit in smoothly with the Teslas.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
That's your opinion, not fact.

Funny how Elon was likely your savior 5 years ago until he said things you didn't agree with.
What? No I never liked Elon lol. Anyone who didn't think that's who he is was fooling themselves. It's also not just my opinion, polling suggests it's a fact but this isn't the place to discuss politics.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Isn't that what they're already doing in China?
I believe the rear port in Chinese Mach-E's is AC only. Thinner wires, and they run to the AC DC converter.

If Ford were to ship with two DC fast charge capable ports, it would require additional lengths of the thicker, heavier wiring.

I personally don't think it's likely, even if Ford were to place both ports side by side, but we'll see. I'm guessing they'll include a CCS adapter (probably also designed by Tesla) and might possibly include a free J1772 adapter, too.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Yeah it definitely was. It was interesting to hear Elmo say something like, "Anything we can do help Jim, we'd be more than happy to do". I was thinking to myself that it sounds great, but would they reallyyyyyyy be interested any doing anything they can to help Ford.......a competitor? I kind of doubt it, but it made for a good sound bite during the lovefest. And then at the end it was kind of funny to hear Farley say, "great platform you have here, love it"....referring to Twitter Spaces.
Actually, I could see Elon “helping” ford in some way, if it was permissible. Remember, Elon has a very large ego - I suspect he’d really like to help a storied legacy manufacturer, like Ford, and wouldn’t see it as any threat at all to himself or Tesla (he’s truly blind to what crap his cars are in terms of production quality. Maybe ford can help him out there 😀😀😀)

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think it will definitely be closer to one end of the car than current. Just because of current SC cable length.

Which end? 🤷🏼‍♂️
The supercharger cable length is the elephant in the room. It does none of use any favors even with an adapter bc the daggum cable can't reach the charge port without some awkward maneuvers.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
The real GOT move would be to take the win and then not incorporate the new port.
The not giving specifics gives them a lot of room to do that lol

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
Maybe fix the title of the thread -- I don't think it was mentioned anywhere in the press release that J-1772 / CCS would be dropped, only that NACS would be *added*.
I will add a note that new cars will get an adapter until Gen 2 cars come out with the NACS plug.

I don't think they're going to have J1772, CCS, and NACS plugs on their cars. That would be a HUGE charge port.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
My question is simple… will there be different pricing for non Tesla vehicles at these superchargers?
Sponsored