Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Honestly, I am both "the Tesla supercharging network is excellent," and "Do I really want more of my money funding Elon Musk and the hateful things he says and does?"

From a tech standpoint, this is a smart move. The Tesla connector is smaller, lighter, and more streamlined than CCS connectors. But from a moral standpoint, I get why some people are very disappointed in this move.
That’s what I meant when I referred to his constant promotion of his social agenda. I don’t mind that he has a social agenda (I vehemently disagree with it, but that’s not related to the Mustang Mach E). I do feel that he hurts his brand and the industry broadly when he spends a lot of time intertwining his businesses and his social agenda. That’s indirectly bad for me 😀😢
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I would worry that the teslastans are going to be insufferable now, but most of them now hate their teslas because of twitter or something so… it’s been quite a rollercoaster.
I'm already furiously forwarding this press release to my Tesla buddies to ruin their day. :)

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Actually, I could see Elon “helping” ford in some way, if it was permissible. Remember, Elon has a very large ego - I suspect he’d really like to help a storied legacy manufacturer, like Ford, and wouldn’t see it as any threat at all to himself or Tesla (he’s truly blind to what crap his cars are in terms of production quality. Maybe ford can help him out there 😀😀😀)
Hehe! Yeah as long as he doesn't help by suggesting Ford any other automaker use the same dashboard that he's using for the Cybertruck 😂😂😂.

• Haha
Reactions: ARK

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My question is simple… will there be different pricing for non Tesla vehicles at these superchargers?
They didn’t address pricing specifically. I got the sense that Tesla is basically being “added” to the blue oval network and will support ford plug and charge.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My question is simple… will there be different pricing for non Tesla vehicles at these superchargers?
The current Tesla app shows the same price for everyone. But prices do vary by location and time of day.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
The supercharger cable length is the elephant in the room. It does none of use any favors even with an adapter bc the daggum cable can't reach the charge port without some awkward maneuvers.
That's a problem the rear charge port would fix.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Hehe! Yeah as long as he doesn't help by suggesting Ford any other automaker use the same dashboard that he's using for the Cybertruck 😂😂😂.
Cyber truck has a dashboard? 😀

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Not sure how this will work. So current people can get an adapter, but the super charger cables aren't long enough so we will be forced to the newer stations with the longer cables that already have a magic dock connector...

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Meh.

Teslas have charging communication hardware for CCS/PowerLine and NACS (or GBT/)/CAN-Bus.... it's not a stretch to see many other carmakers go this route for global compatibility.

The physical connector itself is a non-issue.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I mentioned on these forums some time back that the first manufacturer who strikes a deal with Tesla to adopt the NACS and get access to superchargers would gain a huge advantage over all non-Tesla competitors. Guess Ford beat everyone to the punch.

For those that haven't used the NACS connector, they are in for a treat compared to the giant, gangly, suboptimal CCS crap.

Hopefully others follow suit....EV's are barely somewhere around 5% adoption, so this is the perfect time to implement the superior technology rather than forging on with the 8-track equivalent just cuz.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That's a problem the rear charge port would fix.
Sure but my current car, which is a 2022 Mach E doesn't have a rear port and I plan on keeping this car longer than 5 years. So I'm still wondering how we address that elephant that has now been painted purple and standing directly in front of us.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Service Manager
Country flag
There are a lot of Ford Dealers in the process of installing chargers as we speak. I know my 2 dealers are spending in the neighborhood of 2 million dollars. I would hope we get info fast on which ports our cars are going to have. I am not sure retrofitting chargers will be an inexpensive task. Driving around with multiple adaptors is also a very poor plan at this point. A single standard needs to be decided on yesterday. Ridiculous!
Sponsored