AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Not sure how this will work. So current people can get an adapter, but the super charger cables aren't long enough so we will be forced to the newer stations with the longer cables that already have a magic dock connector...
Exactly. And the 2025 cars will also be forced to the new stations. This announcement is great in theory, however, in practice I'm still not sure how useful this is with the short cables.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I wonder how they will implement the Tesla connector in 2025 and later vehicles. I assume they would still have to have the current connectors too right?
Maybe that’s why the lightning was designed with two charger port doors?

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
The fan-bois on Twitter assume that the next step is Ford licensing Tesla's FSD software...

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I believe the rear port in Chinese Mach-E's is AC only. Thinner wires, and they run to the AC DC converter.

If Ford were to ship with two DC fast charge capable ports, it would require additional lengths of the thicker, heavier wiring.

I personally don't think it's likely, even if Ford were to place both ports side by side, but we'll see. I'm guessing they'll include a CCS adapter (probably also designed by Tesla) and might possibly include a free J1772 adapter, too.
I didn't think the Chinese Mach-E had the front port, but I can't seem to find any picture of one.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Sure but my current car, which is a 2022 Mach E doesn't have a rear port and I plan on keeping this car longer than 5 years. So I'm still wondering how we address that elephant that has now been painted purple and standing directly in front of us.
I've never gotten confirmation whether Tesla has cooling on their power cables. If they don't, the extra length could be built into the adapter conceivably.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I will add a note that new cars will get an adapter until Gen 2 cars come out with the NACS plug.

I don't think they're going to have J1772, CCS, and NACS plugs on their cars. That would be a HUGE charge port.
Press release also didn't say it would be combined into one huge charge port. The NACS could be a secondary port somewhere else on the car. Maybe even closer to the bumper so that charge cables would reasonably reach from SuperChargers.

It's really the best of both. Early adopters will have an option to buy their own magic dock and carry it around the SuperCharger network.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
That's your opinion, not fact.

Funny how Elon was likely your savior 5 years ago until he said things you didn't agree with.
i hope everyone is allowed to update their opinions and commensurate support of people when new information is available.

i personally dislike elon's actions - they do not align with my values and i won't support nor be associated with his endeavors. i do not agree with many of his words either but those words are generally when he uses them to support or enact the actions i dislike.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Maybe that’s why the lightning was designed with two charger port doors?
It was? I know the Mach-E has two charge ports in China.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I noticed this in the press release from Ford:

A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. Ford will equip future EVs with the NACS charge port, removing the need for an adapter for direct access to Tesla Superchargers, starting in 2025.

Quite of bit of the current Supercharger installations are V2 Superchargers, so not all will be available to use. The V3 Superchargers have been around since 2019 and with the number of added installations the past 2 years, I would think the majority will be V3 and the upcoming V4 installations that will be taller and have a longer cable.

I doubt Ford will include 2 charge ports once they change to NACS. I would guess an adapter will be sold that will allow CCS1 to NACS for those that wish to use one of the CCS providers, similar to what Tesla offers there customers now.

I also think this indicates a limited amount of Tesla Supercharges will be equipped with a Magic Dock, enough to reach the numbers agreed to with the White House previously for opening up their system to other EVs.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
i hope everyone is allowed to update their opinions and commensurate support of people when new information is available.

i personally dislike elon's actions - they do not align with my values and i won't support nor be associated with his endeavors. i do not agree with many of his words either but those words are generally when he uses them to support or enact the actions i dislike.
Of course you are. You are also more than welcome to support what or who you want.

Sometimes people who we dislike partner with others for common good. I think people should be able to put aside their dislikes for the betterment of everyone. If one can't then I personally feel like that's a bit sad, but par for course in today's environment.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe the rear port in Chinese Mach-E's is AC only. Thinner wires, and they run to the AC DC converter.

If Ford were to ship with two DC fast charge capable ports, it would require additional lengths of the thicker, heavier wiring.

I personally don't think it's likely, even if Ford were to place both ports side by side, but we'll see. I'm guessing they'll include a CCS adapter (probably also designed by Tesla) and might possibly include a free J1772 adapter, too.
They will need additional wiring but they already said they have miles (or some number) of wires they need to eliminate . Eliminate the waste and add something useful

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I do not see them getting rid of CCS, the NACS is small enough to not make the port too crowded. Getting rid of CCS would be a huge step backwards.
I dunno that it's a step backwards. They could just include a CCS adapter at purchase the way they include a EVSE in the trunk.
Sponsored