Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are a lot of Ford Dealers in the process of installing chargers as we speak. I know my 2 dealers are spending in the neighborhood of 2 million dollars. I would hope we get info fast on which ports our cars are going to have. I am not sure retrofitting chargers will be an inexpensive task. Driving around with multiple adaptors is also a very poor plan at this point. A single standard needs to be decided on yesterday. Ridiculous!
They will need a reverse docking station and retrofit it just like Tesla is doing
Sponsored

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Seriously? CCS is awful. Just awful. Something GM would go for.
yes... and all the government money going to build out charging is required to be the CCS standard. So GM and the Government.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I noticed this in the press release from Ford:

A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. Ford will equip future EVs with the NACS charge port, removing the need for an adapter for direct access to Tesla Superchargers, starting in 2025.

Quite of bit of the current Supercharger installations are V2 Superchargers, so not all will be available to use. The V3 Superchargers have been around since 2019 and with the number of added installations the past 2 years, I would think the majority will be V3 and the upcoming V4 installations that will be taller and have a longer cable.

I doubt Ford will include 2 charge ports once they change to NACS. I would guess an adapter will be sold that will allow CCS1 to NACS for those that wish to use one of the CCS providers, similar to what Tesla offers there customers now.

I also think this indicates a limited amount of Tesla Supercharges will be equipped with a Magic Dock, enough to reach the numbers agreed to with the White House previously for opening up their system to other EVs.
Yeah I noticed the V3 Superchargers mention in the press release. The more I read about this the more I feel like I did when the magic dock was revealed. It'll be a good solution for some, but the short cable and being only V3 supercharger compatible makes me go....meh! Don't get me wrong, this a nice move, it's not the solution to all of our charging problems; it's a part of it but it's not the end all. Now, if Tesla said that they're going to replace the cables on the V3 charges, then I'd change my opinion.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I actually read it as the opposite. NACS is not an open standard, and this just complicates things for customers, Tesla is even already adding CCS adaptors to their network, every other network uses CCS, how many J1772 level 2s are out there? etc. Unless Ford knows something we don't about the whole industry suddenly switching and Tesla giving up control of the standard, this doesn't make much sense, however much more elegant the plug might be.
Tesla made the NACS "standard" an "open Standard" earlier this year. Ford is the first to take them up on it.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
Sometimes people who we dislike partner with others for common good. I think people should be able to put aside their dislikes for the betterment of everyone. If one can't then I personally feel like that's a bit sad, but par for course in today's environment.
we appear to have different ways of interpreting "betterment of everyone" - the specific actions i dislike about elon are in areas that aren't for the "betterment of everyone"; they have nothing to do with EV adoption but they definitely aren't helping "everyone".

and yes, that is a bit sad.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
There are a lot of Ford Dealers in the process of installing chargers as we speak. I know my 2 dealers are spending in the neighborhood of 2 million dollars. I would hope we get info fast on which ports our cars are going to have. I am not sure retrofitting chargers will be an inexpensive task. Driving around with multiple adaptors is also a very poor plan at this point. A single standard needs to be decided on yesterday. Ridiculous!
adapter to the rescue.

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Okay.
  1. Wow
  2. Mmhmm
  3. The Tesla charger is the better standard and arguably the one we should be using. I say this as someone who really doesn't care for the company but all the data that came out showed it supports higher voltage adding some future proofing. It's also just a much more manageable cable. The ccs one is so freaking bulky
  4. As Tesla has released an adapter for Tesla to ccs (at least in Korea) I could see Ford having those included with cars going forward. Which would suck for dealers who have already invested.
  5. This explains why Farley is doing a Twitter spaces talk with Elon
  6. I am in the boat of all other manufacturers should also change. Ccs is a bad plug. Tesla opening their standard was arguably a move too late but better late than never.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
No thank you. Have you seen the lines at Tesla stations?
I havn't in AZ or on the way to SoCal. If I see more than one T at a supercharger I'm kind of amazed.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
The NACS/CCS adapter:
1656565-00-A_4_2000.jpg

https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter?web=true

It's $175. Once you have NACS plug and full access to the Tesla network, there won't be many situations where a CCS adapter will be needed or even remotely beneficial. I have no plans to get one at this point.

The J1772 adapter on the other hand, is nice to have. Allows me to use my Grizzl-E charger for the T.

1067348-00-B_0_2000.jpg

Last edited:

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
This is great news for Ford EV owners, but I can’t imagine why Tesla would want to do this. The biggest reason people buy a Tesla over a Mach-E, which is what I did 2 years ago, is solely based on the superior supercharger network. Eliminating that would’ve made the Mach-E a no brainer for me a few years ago.

The only answer would be Ford paid Tesla a ton of money to have access, which will obviously be pushed to Ford owners. Alternatively, Ford EV drivers could just pay more to change than Tesla drivers.

Either way, being a current Tesla owner and a month or so away from moving to a Mach-E owner, I’m thrilled.

I’m sure the Tesla drivers I’m leaving behind wont feel the same way.
OR you will pay Tesla tons of money to use their chargers... we will see.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Hopefully this will light more of a fire under the butts of ElectrifyAmerica and evGO when OEM car manufacturers make moves like this one -- it's a clear repudiation that the open CCS charging networks will ever get their act together properly.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag