Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't think they'll need to now. IIRC they only needed one other manufacturer to use native NACS to qualify for the subsidies for the regular SCs. They have that now.
They also need to have the ability to accept payment at the unit, not just through an app. And they have said they won't do that (who knows what tomorrow brings though)
Sponsored

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
This is looking like a great move for Ford! They are the first BEV auto maker to have access to the tesla system and most likely extending their share of the EV market.
While I am not a fan of Teslas for several reasons which have no bearing on my thoughts about this news, the fact that competitors in the automotive market can agree to share ideas is a benefit not only to Ford's shareholders but Ford BEV owners as well.
My interpretation of Fords change will most like be similar to the Chinese market Mach-E's that have two charge ports already. This can easily be adapted to include the NACS adapter at the rear and still keep the CCS at the left front.
The ability to expand the charging network in the US and Canada is a big relief to those who still have range anxiety and still rely on ICE vehicles for long road trips.
Now if Tesla decides to expand even further and partner with the rest of the popular brands it will only increase the number of EV drivers going forward.

Tony
Tesla took a two pronged approach to making themselves eligible for U.S. federal charging network funding.
  1. NACS - Their first attempt was to make their charge port/tech an open standard and call it NACS (North American Charging Standard). Being an open standard, all manufacturers have to do is choose it and put them on their cars.
  2. Magic Dock - NACS was a good first move, but the reality that no one, other than Tesla, was using it and it would take years for others to adopt (automotive design cycles), created public and legislative resistance. So, step 2 was to start opening Superchargers to non-Teslas. This started in Europe where the change was cheaper because there, Tesla was forced to use the CCS standard on their cars. That said, Europe Superchargers already had CCS plugs. The U.S. has taken longer because Tesla had to develop an on station adapter that made them both NACS and CCS compatible. Enter the Magic Dock.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
At first glance...
  1. Sucks for us Gen 1 owners, but such is life for early adopters. Comes with the territory.
  2. Great for Gen 2 on, and a smart long term decision.
  3. Elon said that their intent is to have Ford owners on "equal footing" with Tesla owners. Tesla owners will not be happy.
Don't be so quick to stereotype. We don't need more divisiveness. I'm a Tesla owner. And a Kia EV owner. And my daughter just bought a PHEV. I'm happy to see others benefit from the SC network. We will all need to work together to some extent to enable the transition to renewable energy. Say what you want about Elon Musk....but that is his primary goal. And he is willing to offer a massive benefit to a rival manufacturer in order to help realize that goal, despite some detriment to his own company.

I know there are some, but where I live and in all my travels, I have personally never seen a Tesla SC station full, let alone a waiting line. I have seen it a number of times at CCS stations. If anything, this should help provide some funding to continue to accelerate the rate of expansion of the SC network.

Personally, of the very very very small number of CCS EV's on the road compared to the total number of cars, I'll be happy to see CCS fall into obscurity and cease to exist, allowing the superior standard to flourish as infrastructure is built out. I'll be happy to keep a big clunky CCS adapter in our Kia Niro in the meantime if it means I can use the NACS network.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They also need to have the ability to accept payment at the unit, not just through an app. And they have said they won't do that (who knows what tomorrow brings though)
True. I was focused on the Magic Dock part but yes, there's still the same other requirements too.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
At first glance...
  1. Sucks for us Gen 1 owners, but such is life for early adopters. Comes with the territory.
  2. Great for Gen 2 on, and a smart long term decision.
  3. Elon said that their intent is to have Ford owners on "equal footing" with Tesla owners. Tesla owners will not be happy.
It's not even a concern. Tesla is upgrading chargers where relevant with their CCS adapters which work with all EVs (except for the leaf, nobody likes the leaf). Future fords will have tesla port which is a smart move. With ford on-board we'll likely see more in the industry follow before they all jump on board. With ford and tesla partnering on charging it will become even more ubiquitous. It's a wise move, I've always found the tesla connector to be superior to all others. It's simple, slim, and just makes sense. CCS is like a serial / parallel port stepchild vs USB.

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
I hope the adapter rollout is not dependent on Tesla making and selling them… of so, based on their track record of making deadlines, I don’t expect to see them until much later next year (or maybe 2025). If they let licensed third parties make them, then maybe they will really be available early next year. I will believe it when I see them actually available and will buy one as soon as they are available (to go with Tesla Destination adaptor I bought even before our car was delivered which has come in handy a few times).

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Somehow Ford will make this subscription based.
Yeah, the blue oval network access being 'free' for 3 years was an indicator of where things were headed. Now it all makes a whole lot more sense. I expect it to be inline w/ others who have a sub service, ie: EA.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
I don't think they'll need to now. IIRC they only needed one other manufacturer to use native NACS to qualify for the subsidies for the regular SCs. They have that now.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. This could spell the death of CCS. Good riddance.

Smart play would be for Mercedes to jump on the bandwagon. Then Volvo. At some point, there will be no way to stop the adoption of NACS, thankfully, as the optimal standard. We are at the very very early beginning stages of building the infrastructure for EV's. It's the perfect time to move forward with NACS. 3rd party such as EV GO and EA etc can transition to NACS, adapters can be used for 5-10 years as needed for obsolete CCS cars.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So early next year we should have a Supercharger adapter? Is that in "Ford years"? Like the headlight knob that they're still promising for November 2022?

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
So early next year we should have a Supercharger adapter? Is that in "Ford years"? Like the headlight knob that they're still promising for November 2022?
Worse. “Tesla years” :)

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
On the subject of Ford using NACS and CCS ports…

First, Jim Farley said, "We're totally committed to the NACS interface going forward."

Second, from a design standpoint, having one HUGE charge port and door would be “U G L Y , you ain’t got no alibi.” (Wildcats)
The alternative being multiple charge doors/ports. Also not aesthetically pleasing.

Third, Ford (and any manufacturer) is trying to cut costs. Multiple charging standards equals more ports, more onboard chargers, more manufacturing complexity, all of which costs more money.
Right now, non-NACS cars already have to accommodate two plugs (J1772 and CCS). Moving to NACS, Ford gets to move to one, smaller charge port (smaller, hideable charge door) and one onboard charger that switches between AC and DC (I’m 95% sure on that part). One port, one charger. LOWER COST.
Then there is the reduced software development and support cost of one standard vs. two.

Chances that Ford supports built in hardware support for NACS and J1772 and CCS…. quite low.

Edited to remove reference to two onboard chargers (AC and DC) on existing cars as DC does not require an onboard charger.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
They’re not still promising that for November 2022. Now they’re promising it for July 2023. They’ll wait until November 2023 before changing the date again.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Right now, non-NACS cars already have ti accommodate two plugs (J1772 and CCS), two separate onboard chargers (AC and DC). Moving to NACS, Ford gets to move to one, smaller charge port (smaller, hideable charge door) and one onboard charger that switches between AC and DC (I’m 95% sure on that part).
DC doesn’t use an onboard charger.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
On the subject of Ford using NACS and CCS ports…

First, Jim Farley said, "We're totally committed to the NACS interface going forward."

Second, from a design standpoint, having one HUGE charge port and door would be “U G L Y , you ain’t got no alibi.” (Wildcats)
The alternative being multiple charge doors/ports. Also not aesthetically pleasing.

Third, Ford (and any manufacturer) is trying to cut costs. Multiple charging standards equals more ports, more onboard chargers, more manufacturing complexity, all of which costs more money.
Right now, non-NACS cars already have ti accommodate two plugs (J1772 and CCS), two separate onboard chargers (AC and DC). Moving to NACS, Ford gets to move to one, smaller charge port (smaller, hideable charge door) and one onboard charger that switches between AC and DC (I’m 95% sure on that part). One port, one charger. LOWER COST.
Then there is the reduced software development and support cost of one standard vs. two.

Chances that Ford supports built in hardware support for NACS and J1772 and CCS…. quite low.
FWIW, there are no onboard DC chargers -- the port connects directly to the battery.
Sponsored