awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
They’re not still promising that for November 2022. Now they’re promising it for July 2023. They’ll wait until November 2023 before changing the date again.
Thanks for this update! I actually did not know they’ve provided a new date. Better than nothing I suppose!
Sponsored

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
This is really good news for the EV market. I've stated before that the way to move forward is the manufacturers to have some sort of consortium or partnership with a closed DCFC given the pathetic state of the open CCS network.

If I didn't have a phev already, I'd be more inclined to purchase a Ford EV based off this news.

tattar8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C-Max, 2022 Rapid Red Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
What's the word on the adapters? Will I be able to buy one and keep it in my frunk? Or do I have to be dependent on the Magic Docks?

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
If Ford doesn't include both CSS and the Tesla connector on future cars, not only am I giving up on Ford, but also EVs in general. I don't want to become what CHAdeMO is in North America right now, which is bullshit because everyone had assumed CCS would be the one prevalent standard in NA. I wouldn't have bought the MME if I wasn't 100% sure of its longevity vis-a-vis the charge port.

And I say this as someone who's 100% into EVs and electrification of personal transport.

Debangor

First Name
Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford EV Customers To Gain Access To 12,000 Tesla Superchargers; Company To Add North American Charging Standard (NACS) Port In Future EVs.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html

FORD EV CUSTOMERS TO GAIN ACCESS TO 12,000 TESLA SUPERCHARGERS; COMPANY TO ADD NORTH AMERICAN CHARGING STANDARD PORT IN FUTURE EVS
MAY 25, 2023 | DEARBORN

• Starting early next year, Ford EV customers will have access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, in addition to the over 10,000 DC fast-chargers that are already part of the BlueOval Charge Network. This will give Ford EV customers unprecedented access to fast-charging
  • Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence
  • In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in, eliminating the need for an adapter to access Tesla Superchargers
  • The reliable Tesla Supercharger network has already established charging corridors across the U.S. and Canada
DEARBORN, Mich., May 25, 2023 – Ford Motor Company said today it reached an agreement with Tesla Motors that will provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast-chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024.

“This is great news for our customers who will have unprecedented access to the largest network of fast-chargers in the U.S. and Canada with 12,000+ Tesla Superchargers plus 10,000+ fast-chargers already in the BlueOval Charge Network,” said Jim Farley, Ford president and CEO. “Widespread access to fast-charging is absolutely vital to our growth as an EV brand, and this breakthrough agreement comes as we are ramping up production of our popular Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning, and preparing to launch a series of next-generation EVs starting in 2025.”

Added Rebecca Tinucci, Tesla’s senior director of charging infrastructure: “We’ve spent the last 10 years building an industry-leading Charging Network that enables freedom to travel and provides charging confidence for our Tesla owners. We’re excited to deliver on our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy by welcoming Ford owners, and other electric vehicles who adopt NACS, to our thousands of Superchargers across North America.”

A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. Ford will equip future EVs with the NACS charge port, removing the need for an adapter for direct access to Tesla Superchargers, starting in 2025.

“Tesla has led the industry in creating a large, reliable and efficient charging system and we are pleased to be able to join forces in a way that benefits customers and overall EV adoption,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer, Ford Model e. “The Tesla Supercharger network has excellent reliability and the NACS plug is smaller and lighter. Overall, this provides a superior experience for customers.”

The BlueOval Charge Network is already North America’s largest public charging network with over 84,000 chargers including access to over 10,000 public DC fast-chargers. Adding more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers creates the single largest integrated fast-charge network across the U.S. and Canada, designed to significantly reduce charge anxiety for Ford customers, with automatic routing to the nearest charger and seamless billing via FordPass.

Additionally, Ford dealers are adding roughly 1,800 public-facing fast-chargers and locations to the BlueOval Charge Network by early 2024.

Ford_Tesla_Mustang Mach-E (1).jpg

Ford_Tesla_F-150 Lightning.jpeg
I have used the Tesla magic dock twice. It was brilliant to include the adaptor inside the machine the way they did it. However, the short cords made it impossible to hook up to the charger unless I parked parallel to the charger, taking up two spaces. Will be a game changer to be able to use the CCS chargers out there now and the Tesla chargers also.

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not sure what to think but it seems like Ford is sucking up to Telsa

lindseybp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Country flag
Great move by Ford imho. Did it say anywhere what max charging capability will be with the adapter?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The supercharger cable length is the elephant in the room. It does none of use any favors even with an adapter bc the daggum cable can't reach the charge port without some awkward maneuvers.
There's already a V4 Supercharger being rolled out with a longer cable.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That's a problem the rear charge port would fix.
Not really. It would have to be in the left rear very close to the corner of the vehicle.

There's a good reason not to place chargers on the nose (think Leaf) or corner. Those are where most accidents happen and a damaged port would drive up repair costs.

Besides, rear charger ports are a total non-starter on trucks or other vehicles that are likely to tow a trailer.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
It was? I know the Mach-E has two charge ports in China.
If you look, you’ll see something that looks like a charge port door on both sides. Only one is real. @ChasingCoral has an F150 Lightning I believe, and should be able to confirm?

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
The Superchargers work. I like when things work.
It's not just when things work, it's when things work and are easy.

Tesla knew this early on, the way to sell electric cars is to make the DCFC charging procedure frictionless, reliable and stress free.

Tesla is they only maker that spent billions to build out their network, all the other makers sat on their hands waiting for the CCS pixie dust.

Ford could start investing and further building out perhaps a co-brand of DCFC stations where Tesla and Ford EVs can charge. This would complement the supercharger network and force GM and others to play catch-up and do something.

Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
The Superchargers work. I like when things work.
We are in a rural area with limited use of our nice DC chargers. If you made a drinking game out of how many times the charger 4 miles from my house was filled up, you would remain sober. They just work but they are not “worked”. Here is my question… is it the design of the Tesla chargers or the upkeep?

Mach-e-in-MI

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-PE, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Country flag
Folks: This is simply a smart business move by Ford. It has NOTHING to do with some alterior "Tesla" takeover move... That's just plain dumb.. Tesla is doing fine on their own selling EVs. They don't need to buy Ford...

Tesla was late to making their charge port an open (no royalty) standard but the EV business is still young and still developing. Those of us who bought in must know that we are early adopters and things in tech change fast.

Had Tesla imediately made their charge port an open, royalty free option, CCS would have never existing. To be honest - CCS sucks... it's bulky, costly and there is a true lack of universal standards and signalling that works across all manufacturers.

The CCS charge stations are also a mess. Why are you complaining when Ford owners will now have access to 12,000+ more charge stations with infrastructure that just works - fast and reliably - unlike the current CCS charge experience?

Tesla is not trying to "own" Ford. They have a completely seperate motivation: to be the EXXON of the future! Don't you think as competitive EVs gain in sales volume, Tesla wouldn't want a piece of the fast charging revenue? Makes total business sense to me...

Short charge cords -sure - that's a short term problem for most non-Tesla vehicles.

Personally, I think it's utterly stupid that most manufacturers put the charge port beside the driver door - halfway down the car. Why? Well - shorter cable run to the battery I suppose, but that's just plain dumb.

Why not put it at the furthest edge of the car -in the rear where a gas tank filler would normally be? This way, the DC cabling can be shorter and more efficient.

I sure hope we finally get standardization on the charge port location - it should be on the rear corner -driver's side -ALWAYS! -this would make it far simpler to setup charge stations. I've never understood why some manufacturers put it on the passenger side?

Ford will definitely NOT have both a CCS and NACS charge port on the car. This is costly, redundant and unecessary.

For us with CCS - no problem -we'll just need a NACS adapter - but thankfully for us Ford EV owners -our internal charger will understand both standards -giving us maximum options for DCFC!

The market will take care of your concerns about Tesla superchargers charging us a premium for DCFC. It doesn't mean Tesla won't offer their owners a discount at their superchargers, but competition will force some equalization of DCFC costs just like gas stations have to compete today. Otherwise, you just won't use their charge stations.

Let's not forget that we are very early in the cycle for EVs and there will still be many changes we can't even imagine.

With Ford jumping on board and w NACS being significantly less expensive, it's only a matter of time for the other manufacturers to jump on board as well.

It's economically too advantageous for manufacturers who measure component costs down to the penny and now Ford owners should have fewer concerns about where they can charge up.

Nice job Mr. Farley!

LeWe

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Occupation
SWE
Country flag
I just hope that my current 2022 Mach-E with CCS does not turn into how Nissan Leafs with CHAdeMO are treated. I always feel bad taking the CCS spot with the CHAdeMO combo.

I really hope that they come up with a retrofit kit so I don't have to give up another arm and leg for a first class Mach-E come 2025.
Sponsored