Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Maybe they'll put the NACS port right behind the driver's side tail lights so you can actually use most of the Superchargers without taking up 3 spaces or waiting for the v4's to be installed.
They can get the same result with a left side CCS1 and a right side NACS.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
A
Thats why I said this is the smartest thing they've done. Hopefully it's enough but I doubt it. Mismanagement is crazy, even GM passed Ford on EV sales and their ICE cars have been having a ton of recalls and production problems, like the mentioned broncos.

These issues are why their stock, which I owned a bit of hoping it'd do good, is down almost half since last year.
GM only beat Ford in the EV space in one quarter. The quarter that had a stop-production on the Lightning and a shutdown of Cuautitlan to re-tool for higher production. GM‘s production was mostly Bolts, which is discontinued at the end of this year. GM has yet to prove they can scale Ultium-platformed vehicles. I hope they can pull it together….

But I hear you, Ford has made several mis-steps and needs to do better. NACS adoption is a step in the right direction.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct. Not stated. May be dual ports. None of us knows.
I’m fairly certain even Farley doesn’t know
Farley was on CNBC this morning. Said that future Ford customers will be able to use any charger by using an adapter. I think CCS on Ford vehicles goes away.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I imagine this news is coming as a bit of a surprise to many within Model e.
To many, yes. There was a circle of Model e folks who were in on it.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
They should just standardize the location to behind the rear license plate. That way it doesn't matter if the cord is on the right or left.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Almost certainly yes, the pricing will be uniform.
Tesla already has a membership plan like EA and others. Membership has its privileges (cheaper charging).

Keep in mind that each company sets its own prices. Tesla charges time of day fees in states that have this electrical rate structure. That's why so many CA Tesla drivers bought CCS1 to NACS adapters once Tesla came out with them. During peak pricing, those Tesla drivers and all the "free chargers" are clogging EA stations that have flat fees.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

NoMoPetrol

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013Tesla Model S, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would be a serious move toward actually making NACS the standard in North America. Big ramification how this unfolds. Be interesting to see what direction it really goes.
Did everyone just hear that? It was the sound of first crack in the North American ICE Wall.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
My questions are:
1) can Tesla secure charging to non-Tesla with just a software mod to their stations?
2) Is NACS superior technology?

If it is superior in nature and there are means to ensure non-discriminatory charging then this is a positive. Even if it means I have to buy a new cable for my house unit.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They should just standardize the location to behind the rear license plate. That way it doesn't matter if the cord is on the right or left.
Right where the gas cap is on my 65 Mustang!

Shaggyrn

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2012 Ford Fusion, 2007 Exp. Sport Tr
Country flag
I think this is a great move for Ford. I wish it was done for the Gen 1 cars. I will get the adapter as soon as one is available. I have taken my Mach e on many road trips and by far the biggest anxiety for my wife is "will the Electrify America be working?" Tesla superchargers have so many chargers and I hardly see anyone there.
My question will anyone decide to create conversion kit to change a Gen 1 car with a NACS in the J-1772/CCS spot?

67mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'67 Mustang, '14 SVT Raptor, '23 Mach-E GT
Country flag
At first glance...
  1. Sucks for us Gen 1 owners, but such is life for early adopters. Comes with the territory.
  2. Great for Gen 2 on, and a smart long term decision.
  3. Elon said that their intent is to have Ford owners on "equal footing" with Tesla owners. Tesla owners will not be happy.
First glance is Gen 1 owners will be able to buy an adapter starting in 2024. Gen 2 or 2025s will have it built in with no need for the adapter.

I didn't see anything in that statement that excludes current Ford EV owners, only that we would have to buy an adapter if wanting to use Tesla chargers unless I misread something.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My questions are:
1) can Tesla secure charging to non-Tesla with just a software mod to their stations?
2) Is NACS superior technology?

If it is superior in nature and there are means to ensure non-discriminatory charging then this is a positive. Even if it means I have to buy a new cable for my house unit.
1) They can, but really have no incentive to do so. Why would that happen after Farley/Musk announce a partnership?
2) Yes

You don’t need a new cable, just an adapter.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
a) That's one of the two worst places because of susceptibility to damage (the other bad one is the nose)
b) That's an utterly worthless location if towing a trailer or even using a bike rack.
Sponsored