MachE1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Model 3/ 2020 Mazda Miata Club
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The great news is Ford will finally have real software and Ford Pass will finally be legit…. Rejoice

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ford's announcement says: "A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. "

Are all Tesla Superchargers V3 now?

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
a) That's one of the two worst places because of susceptibility to damage (the other bad one is the nose)
b) That's an utterly worthless location if towing a trailer or even using a bike rack.
With towing, there should be enough room to access. I would assume that there is a least a foot or two from the bumper to the trailer. Besides if you're towing, its going to be hard to find a place to charge without disconnecting the trailer. As far as bike racks, that could be an incovience depending on the bike rack, but if its one that's attached to the tow hook, you could easily remove one bike while charging. Either way, I would assume that you would buy a bike rack that would be compatible with the charging location.

As far as susceptibility to damage, that's a valid point, but where tesla and Rivian located their charging port is not much better.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS / SOCIAL / MUSK COMMENTARY] switching.PNG

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
The CNBC article this morning said the same:

"It's unclear if Ford's next-gen EVs will maintain the charging ports featured on current models, known as CCS. A Ford spokesman said the company has "this option available to us but have no news to share today."

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
With towing, there should be enough room to access. I would assume that there is a least a foot or two from the bumper to the trailer. Besides if you're towing, its going to be hard to find a place to charge without disconnecting the trailer. As far as bike racks, that could be an incovience depending on the bike rack, but if its one that's attached to the tow hook, you could easily remove one bike while charging. Either way, I would assume that you would buy a bike rack that would be compatible with the charging location.

As far as susceptibility to damage, that's a valid point, but where tesla and Rivian located their charging port is not much better.
As I drive around it appears most drivers park nose in. Whatever is decided on chargers will alter the parking landscape, so are we requiring everyone to back in now? Thats not good in my garage, would add minutes to every time I park. So if most people nose in, then wouldnt we put chargers towards the front?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
With towing, there should be enough room to access. I would assume that there is a least a foot or two from the bumper to the trailer. Besides if you're towing, its going to be hard to find a place to charge without disconnecting the trailer.
You're missing the point. Tesla Supercharger cables are already short. Those on several companies' DCFC units aren't much better. Unless the charging companies switch to all pull-through chargers (which they won't), there is no way to reach most chargers to a rear-located port when towing a trailer.

I just towed a travel trailer behind my Lightning from the east coast to the west coast and back. I rarely had to disconnect. Most locations were challenging and inconvenient but they worked. If the charge port were in the rear we would have had to disconnect almost every time. That's would make trailering with an EV a non-starter for most people. There's a good reason both Ford and Rivian have the port on the front.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Hopefully we can use FordPass Rewards to acquire the Tesla NACS to CCS adapter from Ford
It would be an appropriate gesture to give them to us for free since it’s going to be the de facto standard for Ford EV charging going forward. I mean, they gave us a second FOB when PAAK wasn’t working so well. I certainly Don’t want to pay the TeslaTap price.

Last edited:

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I havn't in AZ or on the way to SoCal. If I see more than one T at a supercharger I'm kind of amazed.
You have not been to the Tesla chargers at Westgate. Always 50-75% full.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
You're missing the point. Tesla Supercharger cables are already short. Those on several companies' DCFC units aren't much better. Unless the charging companies switch to all pull-through chargers (which they won't), there is no way to reach most chargers to a rear-located port when towing a trailer.

I just towed a travel trailer behind my Lightning from the east coast to the west coast and back. I rarely had to disconnect. Most locations were challenging and inconvenient but they worked. If the charge port were in the rear we would have had to disconnect almost every time. That's would make trailering with an EV a non-starter for most people. There's a good reason both Ford and Rivian have the port on the front.
It does make sense on trucks to put the port at the front. But you can generally get the same result from a front left port as a rear right port as long as you DON'T go to pull-through chargers and give the option of pulling in forward (for front) or backing in (for rear) ports.
Sponsored