Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
BMW did it right. They give 30 minutes free per session for a couple of years.
Nope. That doesn't do it. I've seen Hyundai/Kia vehicles charge for 30 minutes, unplug, plug back in.

Every dealer should limit charging to a given number of kWh like Ford does.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I never said I don’t use DCFC. You got me mixed up with someone else.
Didn’t you get free charging from Ford? The rest of us did.
Only 250kWh. That was Day 1 of a road trip in my Mach E. It was 3 charging sessions in my Lightning.

Deleted member 16048

Well Farley said today that they will "be sending an adapter to all Ford EV owners" in this segment:

To me, that sounds like they are going to provide it free, which is crazy if they do. But, I am curious on the process for that. Glad to know too that it will be a Ford adapter.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Well Farley said today that they will "be sending an adapter to all Ford EV owners" in this segment:

To me, that sounds like they are going to provide it free, which is crazy if they do. But, I am curious on the process for that. Glad to know too that it will be a Ford adapter.
Farley is all over the place today with appearances. Last I checked, Ford stock is up 9% today, and rightfully so. The reason I chose a Tesla 2 years ago was completely based on the charging network. I really didn't love the car, which probably explains why I'm selling it for a MME.

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
even GM passed Ford on EV sales
GM has always been ahead of ford in # of EV sales. you are misreading the data by not adjusting the period during which GM had all bolts on recall and were therefore not allowed to sell bolts. during this period ford artificially "outsold" GM, and now the metric has corrected itself

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

They are going to send it to us for free... BUT, it will be for a 90 day trial and then there will be a subscription fee! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Deleted member 16048

They are going to send it to us for free... BUT, it will be for a 90 day trial and then there will be a subscription fee! 🤣 🤣 🤣
I mean yeah they want to do subscriptions, buI don’t think they deserve as much hate for it as they are getting unlike GM. They really got desperate for subscription revenue with their decisions.

Yes, I can see them putting more FordPass features behind a paywall, but we will see what they do.

but yeah, I’m glad that at least I don’t have to give Tesla money for an adapter, just pay them for usage when I need it.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I never said I don’t use DCFC. You got me mixed up with someone else.
Didn’t you get free charging from Ford? The rest of us did.
ahh sorry for the mixup. I did get free charging... it is a misguided policy that makes the EV world worse.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Check your connected services. We already are on a Blue Oval Charge Network trial!!

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Farley & Elon mentioned working together to enable Ford's software to communicate with the Supercharger. I'm wondering if they don't just make a chip enabled adapter so any CCS vehicle can charge.

I'm also hoping that since there are no displays on the Superchargers indicating state of charge that part of this software update will include in car SOC feedback, just like in a Tesla.
The updated Ford Pass app shows charge rate. That's nice because I can be away getting a coffee and still the the state and rate of charge without being tied to the car or charger.

I can imagine a solution where everything needed is in the adapter... the Magic docs do this already.

The adapter identifies to the SC network who you are (the equivalent of a Tesla providing the vin in the handshake) and translates the way CCS chargers vs SC chargers ask and receive the charge rate the car is asking for. (If all the brains can be in the adapter, essentially any CCS car would have access to the SC network.)

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
The updated Ford Pass app shows charge rate. That's nice because I can be away getting a coffee and still the the state and rate of charge without being tied to the car or charger.

I can imagine a solution where everything needed is in the adapter... the Magic docs do this already.

The adapter identifies to the SC network who you are (the equivalent of a Tesla providing the vin in the handshake) and translates the way CCS chargers vs SC chargers ask and receive the charge rate the car is asking for. (If all the brains can be in the adapter, essentially any CCS car would have access to the SC network.)
Exactly! The only issue would be charger cord length. For crowded stations it's just asking for confrontations and anger if one car needs to take two spots because of cable length / charger port location. As I understand, the shorter the cable the more reliable (because of less heat) the charging dispenser can be, so it's not as simple as just swapping out cables.

Regarding the charge rate, I just think it should also be on the in car display as well. A charge curve graph might also be helpful and educational for many.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
to clarify - i didn't hear farley say they were sending them to us for free.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
It looks like that is it. I think the other companies will have to join soon. Musk is the winner 👑

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Good questions. I posted @RateYourCharge videos on Twitter for almost every DCFC session and lots of L2 sessions as well. It was the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Question for you Mark:

How many chargers did you block access to by not disconnecting the trailer? Now, add in whether you needed additional spaces to then pull back out. And, if you didn't block other parking spots, how many lanes of parking lot traffic did you block?

Not being critical, but I've charged at 30 plus EA locations in 2 years. Some, you could not have charged without disconnecting. Some, if you pulled in to get to your port, you would have blocked at least 3 charges. And, if you pulled straight in, you would have blocked an entire parking lot lane.
I only had to disconnect a handful of times. In some cases I did have to block another charger. However, I tried my best to avoid that and most of the times I blocked a charger I made it a point to block a DEAD charger. I would make sure I didn't block more than 1 charger and only in locations with little charging going on like you see in your examples.

More often I would block part of the driving lane but only when there was enough room for vehicles to get around the trailer, either in the driving lane or through open parking places.

Within the first week of posting my videos, I had EA, EVGo, and ChargePoint all responding to my reports on Twitter. They usually responded within 24 hours of my posting and often within a few hours. You could search @RateYourCharge for my videos and their responses. I also have many of them reposted at https://www.lightningowners.com/thr...he-sea-and-the-other-sea-and-back-again.3123/

Just two examples below.

Georgetown, KY
539117.jpg
I've charged at this one in my Mach E but not the Lightning with trailer. It shows a fairly typical layout. The first thing we would do is find out which ones actually appeared to be working. Usually, whoever wasn't driving would get out to identify the right charger, activate it using FordPass and wave the driver in. In configurations like this our rig would usually block one charging space or part of the driving lane.

Here's an example from Richmond, VA:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS / SOCIAL / MUSK COMMENTARY] img_6883-jpe

We're charging on #1 but blocking #2 which had been downrated. Our presence warned away a couple of folks who were going to pull into #2.

Lake City, FL

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS / SOCIAL / MUSK COMMENTARY] img_6883-jpe
We charged there pulling the trailer. It was a real pain. With all the space around that station, it was clear EA had not even thought about trailers when they installed this one.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1617198389300723713
We did have to block one working 150 charger.

The good news is EA was taking note to our analysis of how well the stations worked for trailering. They informed us of some changes in siting they are planning. One of those is to get rid of the steel posts that prevent some spots from being used in a pull-through manner. They thought it was a good idea to help BEV drivers. They now realize they should skip the poles and mark the pavement instead of putting in an EV-only sign.
Sponsored