Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Which means in the car NACS requires some extra contactors, what could go wrong for Ford (LOL). The big issue with NACS is that AC and DC use the same pins. You do not want to connect AC directly to the battery and you do not want to connect DC to the on-board charger. So there has to be extra safety mechanisms (i.e. internal switching), and software, in the car.

What happens if someone gets a NACS to CCS adapter and then plugs into a Tesla Destination charger which is AC? Will all cars that you coudl plug the adapter into have the appropriate safety mechanism to protect the battery? I believe this is the very reason Tesla has the Magic dock included in the stations, rather than as a customer purchased option.

The destination charger adapters go from NACS to J1772, which has different pins than CCS for AC on-board charger.

Part of the CCS design strategy was to avoid this failure point completely. Tesla did not worry about this becuase they controlled both ends.
The MagicDock installations fix the pin mapping issue just fine. I've charged my Lightning at one.
Sponsored

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
The MagicDock installations fix the pin mapping issue just fine. I've charged my Lightning at one.
i think the tesla/NACS -> CCS mapping will be fine since pin usage is controlled on the tesla side.

the CCS -> NACS port will be a shitshow. i mean just getting all of the variants of vehicles and existing CCS charger providers to work has been a shitshow and that doesn't even involve whether AC or DC is on which pins.

1967coupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe, 2018 F-150 XLT, 2023 Mach E
Country flag
Good questions. I posted @RateYourCharge videos on Twitter for almost every DCFC session and lots of L2 sessions as well. It was the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I only had to disconnect a handful of times. In some cases I did have to block another charger. However, I tried my best to avoid that and most of the times I blocked a charger I made it a point to block a DEAD charger. I would make sure I didn't block more than 1 charger and only in locations with little charging going on like you see in your examples.

More often I would block part of the driving lane but only when there was enough room for vehicles to get around the trailer, either in the driving lane or through open parking places.

Within the first week of posting my videos, I had EA, EVGo, and ChargePoint all responding to my reports on Twitter. They usually responded within 24 hours of my posting and often within a few hours. You could search @RateYourCharge for my videos and their responses. I also have many of them reposted at https://www.lightningowners.com/thr...he-sea-and-the-other-sea-and-back-again.3123/

_____
Thanks for sharing your experience and the post on the Lightning forum, this clears up a lot of questions and speculation from a lot of us armchair experts (myself included)! I might even consider a Lightning when it comes time to replace my 2018 Ecoboost F-150 now!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
i think the tesla/NACS -> CCS mapping will be fine since pin usage is controlled on the tesla side.

the CCS -> NACS port will be a shitshow. i mean just getting all of the variants of vehicles and existing CCS charger providers to work has been a shitshow and that doesn't even involve whether AC or DC is on which pins.
Are you saying that backwards?

Following the flow of electrons:
NACS -> CCS1 is an adapter that allows the use of Tesla Superchargers to charge CCS1 vehicles. The MagicDock does this already and worked fine on my Lightning and all the other Ford vehicles I've seen videos of. They are power limited, though. That is posing a problem for 800v vehicles.

CCS1 -> NACS is the adapter Tesla already sells (so does Lectron) that allows Tesla vehicles to charge at CCS DCFC stations. I've seen several Teslas charging at EA stations with no issue.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Don't hold your breath. Ford in currently in the reducing content, and finding ways to increase revenue mode. No way they won't charge you for an adapter when you can charge at a CSS station. I think you have to pay for a mobile charger now whereas is was included last year.
What happens if everybody else jumps on the band wagon too and CCS goes the way of Betamax? If GM and Stellantis decide to adopt the NACS charging protocol by next year like Ford did, then EA either changes plugs or shuts down Pretty quick I would think. To use an aviation analogy, it’s like they diverted to an alternate airport because of bad weather and they want to charge us for the extra leg.

I’m gonna start holdin’ my breath. Maybe they’ll notice.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I suppose a downside to this is that, at least in California, J plug L2 chargers at places like hotels and stuff are much more common than the Tesla destination chargers. I guess an adapter is the easy fix though.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
Are you saying that backwards?

Following the flow of electrons:
NACS -> CCS1 is an adapter that allows the use of Tesla Superchargers to charge CCS1 vehicles. The MagicDock does this already and worked fine on my Lightning and all the other Ford vehicles I've seen videos of. They are power limited, though. That is posing a problem for 800v vehicles.

CCS1 -> NACS is the adapter Tesla already sells (so does Lectron) that allows Tesla vehicles to charge at CCS DCFC stations. I've seen several Teslas charging at EA stations with no issue.
you've restated it the way i intended. however, my unstated supposition is a single adapter to handle AC (via J1772) and DC (via CCS). as it stands, the lectron and tesla adapters appear to only support the DCFC side and not AC.

is that not the case? if it is the case we'll have a frunk full of adapters and i'm sure that will go well. 😏

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
you've restated it the way i intended. however, my unstated supposition is a single adapter to handle AC (via J1772) and DC (via CCS). as it stands, the lectron and tesla adapters appear to only support the DCFC side and not AC.

is that not the case? if it is the case we'll have a frunk full of adapters and i'm sure that will go well. 😏
Gotcha. We won't need the AC adapter but 2025 and beyond buyers will. It'll be the same J1772 -> NACS that come in Teslas now.

1967coupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe, 2018 F-150 XLT, 2023 Mach E
Country flag
to clarify - i didn't hear farley say they were sending them to us for free.
You are correct, he did not say it is free but it is implied I believe.

If you think about it logically, if they don't offer to send out adapters free then Ford EV sales would probably suffer while people who are on the fence about changing to an EV wait for the "better" car that has the new NACS port and native (no adapter) access to the Supercharger network. If the adapter comes with the 2024 model and will get sent to anyone who buys a 2023 now (like I did last Friday!) then most people will probably say "good enough" and not wait. Conversely the 2025 model will need to come with the NACS-to-CCS adapter in the bag with the mobile charger (that we now pay $500 for).

If they offer the adapter (at maybe $100-200 cost for Ford?) for free they get 2 benefits:
1. People may be less likely to hesitate or wait until 2025 to buy...which would probably turn into 2028 or later because they'll buy something else (another ICE/hybrid or Tesla probably) in the meantime instead of waiting.
2. They show that Ford cares about its existing customers and will take care of them in the scary ever-changing EV world.

Seems like a pretty cheap investment for a decent return to me, but of course not everything Ford does makes great business sense...I'm hoping this turns into one of the occasions it does!

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Gotcha. We won't need the AC adapter but 2025 and beyond buyers will. It'll be the same J1772 -> NACS that come in Teslas now.
Unless of course they buy the Tesla wall box as their EVSE

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
You've got to give Elon credit. Look at the thread; how many people are already clamoring for the NACS Adapter that WE ALL WILL HAVE TO PURCHASE. How much money did Elon just save himself from having to retrofit every SC in this country with a Magic Dock? Any one else notice how quiet the Magic Dock retro-fits got after the initial 12 or so units in NY and CA (i think).

You may not like his politics; but he's a heap load smarter than most of us.

DanoiZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This is great news! CCS charging network has been a disaster. Won't effect me much as I charge at home and have access to charger at work, too. Should make travel easier for single car EV-only households. The super charging network is Tesla's best feature. Nice to see that Ford owners will get access to it. Makes choosing a Ford an even easier option. Well done Farley!

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You've got to give Elon credit. Look at the thread; how many people are already clamoring for the NACS Adapter that WE ALL WILL HAVE TO PURCHASE. How much money did Elon just save himself from having to retrofit every SC in this country with a Magic Dock? Any one else notice how quiet the Magic Dock retro-fits got after the initial 12 or so units in NY and CA (i think).

You may not like his politics; but he's a heap load smarter than most of us.

Ford is sending them to us, we're not buying anything.
Sponsored