TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Before getting too excited, note that the announcement says V3 chargers, not V2. I may be wrong but I think the stations with V2's show up on the Tesla SC map as "up to 150kw", while the V3's show up as "up to 250kw". From what I'm seeing, the 150's are more commonly the road trips routes between cities (that we typically care about), while the 250's are more commonly in cities (where we usually don't need to use them). There's exceptions, of course, but that's the frequent tendency for the interstates I've checked in my region.

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bo...26174686536&zoom=6&filters=supercharger,party

Still good news overall, of course, but not nearly as widespread as some may be thinking. Eventually those older V2's should get upgraded. (months? years?)
Sponsored

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
F*** YEAH! There goes my number 1 complaint of the Mach-E. Hate Musk, but the supercharger network is unrivaled. And it looks like we're getting adapters from Ford. YES!

Also, F*** EA, EVGO, ChargePoint and every other CCS network provider. They're all terrible and that's putting it kindly.

Edit:
Farley doesn't say when they're going to send out the adapters to current Ford EV owners. So they could target 2040 for all we know.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16048

Before getting too excited, note that the announcement says V3 chargers, not V2. I may be wrong but I think the stations with V2's show up on the Tesla SC map as "up to 150kw", while the V3's show up as "up to 250kw". From what I'm seeing, the 150's are more commonly the road trips routes between cities (that we typically care about), while the 250's are more commonly in cities (where we usually don't need to use them). There's exceptions, of course, but that's the frequent tendency for the interstates I've checked in my region.

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=46.292666143438105,-90.64863674686536,34.731217103958244,-122.28926174686536&zoom=6&filters=supercharger,party

Still good news overall, of course, but not nearly as widespread as some may be thinking. Eventually those older V2's should get upgraded. (months? years?)
Yeah they said V3, but then also said “All 12,000” chargers in the United States, I do not believe 12,000 sites are V3. It’s likEli they just say V3 since thats the majority of them but it will work on V2 as well. Im sure V4 will be available too, but since those are still not widespread, and details are scarce on them. We will see.

Also from a marketing perspective, it would be easier to just say V3 and not V2 and V3 since the widespread public doesn’t understand the difference.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Does Tesla include those adapters free of charge?
J1772 -> NACS adapter comes free in Teslas
CCS1 -> NACS costs a couple of hundred dollars.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is great news! CCS charging network has been a disaster. Won't effect me much as I charge at home and have access to charger at work, too. Should make travel easier for single car EV-only households. The super charging network is Tesla's best feature. Nice to see that Ford owners will get access to it. Makes choosing a Ford an even easier option. Well done Farley!
If it won't affect you, how do you know CCS charging is a disaster?

I just towed a trailer behind a Lightning for 10,000 miles and I would not call it a disaster.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The MagicDock installations fix the pin mapping issue just fine. I've charged my Lightning at one.
Magic dock is only used on DC, so no issue there. But if someone took a magic dock and plugged it into a destination charger, the DC pins would have AC on them.

dcredraider

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I agree that it would be a huge mistake and massive step backward. CCS is an open standard. NACS is proprietary, including its communications protocol, which means brand t could change it at any time, rendering Ford vehicles unable to charge or charging more slowly than they're capable of. It would be a massive mistake for Ford to trust its main competitor.
NACS is not proprietary.

DanoiZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
If it won't affect you, how do you know CCS charging is a disaster?

I just towed a trailer behind a Lightning for 10,000 miles and I would not call it a disaster.
Didn't say I never used them. I've had one use of a CCS DC Fast charger where everything went right. ONCE! THAT's, how I know. Your anecdotal evidence vs. mine.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
NACS is not proprietary.
NACS may not be proprietary, but to use the superchargers, your car still need to communicate with Tesla. I would expect the other OEM will need to make a deal with Tesla before they can use the supercharger network.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Seems like Beta won this time around #IYKYK
1. The Fat lady hasn't sung yet.
2. It ain't over till it's over.
  • Cars don't stay at gas pumps long, making it possible to have 2 or more pumps on each side of each island.
  • Most charging stations aren't in gas stations. They are in parking lots.
And sometimes in parking garages. This may have been the last time there was an available stall at this SC station btw.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS / SOCIAL / MUSK COMMENTARY] 1685124376890

and software
That part has a few people concerned. I think Ford will be more than a bit motivated to ensure the software portion is up to snuff. A flub, muff, bobble, or backtracking on this decision would be a bad thing.

KennyPratt42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Rt 1 AWD
Country flag
I apologize if this has already been discussed (have only read through a handful of the pages on this thread). Is the cable lengths on the Super Chargers an issue for current Mach-Es or is that more of an issue for the Lightning? I think most of the videos and pictures I've seen are Lightnings not being able to get close enough for the cables to reach the charge port on the front left fender.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I apologize if this has already been discussed (have only read through a handful of the pages on this thread). Is the cable lengths on the Super Chargers an issue for current Mach-Es or is that more of an issue for the Lightning? I think most of the videos and pictures I've seen are Lightnings not being able to get close enough for the cables to reach the charge port on the front left fender.
Its a bit of a problem. You have to pull in real close and use the charger that is designated to next stall.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
1. The Fat lady hasn't sung yet.
2. It ain't over till it's over.

And sometimes in parking garages. This may have been the last time there was an available stall at this SC station btw.

1685124376890.png

That part has a few people concerned. I think Ford will be more than a bit motivated to ensure the software portion is up to snuff. A flub, muff, bobble, or backtracking on this decision would be a bad thing.
Tesla seems to opening up new locations at a rather rapid clip. My guess is that they may transition from a car builder, to a battery supplier/software company, supplying FSD suites, robotics, and Supercharger network company. Leave the headache of building cars to others.

Remind me of a story I heard about a guy that started a store during the the gold rush. While everyone was moving to SF to dig for gold, he made his money selling shovels.

Black e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
If access to both CCCS and NACS for FORD EVS are going to be Plug and Charge .Ford will have the biggest plug and charge network in US
Sponsored