TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If a Mach-E backed into a Super Charger spot, how much longer would the cable need to be (or an adapter that included cable extension) for it to reach the port on the Mach-E? By eye it looks like the difference in charge port locations on a Model Y and Mach-E is roughly equivalent to the wheelbase on the Mach-E (117.5"). But I'm assuming the Super Charger cable would reach farther forward than where the Tesla ports are located, maybe somewhere in the rear door.
Backing in won't reach at all from a SC along the front of the spot. For those you have to pull straight in ("wrong" side spot) where it barely reaches if there's no bollards or curb in the way. Gotta park within maybe 6" of the charger itself for the 6' cable to reach. Lightning needs to be almost touching the charger.

But, that's still tying up an extra spot for a Tesla sine it's on the "wrong" side. If blocking 2 spots anyway, better to cross both spots diagonally. That puts the charge port almost a foot closer.

Of course, that's only if a charger on the end, or the side, or another unique layout isn't available. First choice is always to look for those to not block a 2nd spot if at all possible.
Sponsored

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Magic dock is only used on DC, so no issue there. But if someone took a magic dock and plugged it into a destination charger, the DC pins would have AC on them.
There's a communication channel in the charging standards for CCS, NACS and J1772. I doubt that current will be sent without a proper handshake between the car and the charger. It's a matter of how that handshake is sent across the connectors prior to a charging current being enabled and whether or not it could cause issues to circuitry on one side or the other.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
J1772 -> NACS adapter comes free in Teslas
CCS1 -> NACS costs a couple of hundred dollars.
I thought Tesla stopped including the free J1772 adapter in 2022. I got one free with our '21. Tesla sells them for $50.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
EA Pass+ members pay 36 cents/kwhr right now. What is the Tesla network price?

Deleted member 16048

There are varying numbers reported on the number of SCs in the US, but they're usually all around 17,000. I'm assuming 12,000 refers to just the V3's, the remainder being mostly V2's (I don't think V4's have started rolling out in the US yes, and few if any V1's left). But it's not totally clear since Tesla doesn't like to offer data to the public.

This news report from a few months ago pegged the total at 17,711 in the US.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...5-bln-federal-program-white-house-2023-02-15/

My guess is the adapter only works with V3, but when the NACS port goes in 2025 models, that will probably work on the V2's too (although again, just my guess).
Yeah all that data is hard to pin down since Tesla doesn't really go into detail. The issue I see is that a lot of people will just see the Tesla station and go to it regardless. If it doesn't work on V2, that will create frustration, which Tesla and Ford want to solve with this partnership.

I know Tesla did say that they were going to upgrade V2 to V3 anyways, but that's been a very very slow process. V4 hasn't reached us here yet, but might be some time. I suspect we will see more magic dock locations nation wide regardless of this announcement, since there are other vehicles that won't have this partnership. (I can't see GM doing this... since GM is well... GM.)

We just won't need to use the Tesla app, so we get the same experience as Tesla owners.

Now, I did see a message in ForPass with this announcement, and it said adapter pricing and charge rate will be announced closer to enabling of the system. So the back and forth begins on price or free.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
For a couple of years I have hoped Tesla would see the light (and $$ opportunities) and license their drivetrain to others. If my '21 MME GT had a Model Y Performance drivetrain I would still own it.

KennyPratt42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Rt 1 AWD
Country flag
Backing in won't reach at all from a SC along the front of the spot. For those you have to pull straight in ("wrong" side spot) where it barely reaches if there's no bollards or curb in the way. Gotta park within maybe 6" of the charger itself for the 6' cable to reach. Lightning needs to be almost touching the charger.

But, that's still tying up an extra spot for a Tesla sine it's on the "wrong" side. If blocking 2 spots anyway, better to cross both spots diagonally. That puts the charge port almost a foot closer.

Of course, that's only if a charger on the end, or the side, or another unique layout isn't available. First choice is always to look for those to not block a 2nd spot if at all possible.
RIght, my question is if either Tesla retrofit chargers with longer cables or the adapter that will be needed included a cable extension how long would it need to be for Mach-Es to be used in the back in format that the Super Charger stations spots are set up so that they don't need to pull in front first and take up two spots.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
RIght, my question is if either Tesla retrofit chargers with longer cables or the adapter that will be needed included a cable extension how long would it need to be for Mach-Es to be used in the back in format that the Super Charger stations spots are set up so that they don't need to pull in front first and take up two spots.
I don't think an extension cord/adapter is possible. Too much power flowing through DCFC to not liquid-cool the cable.

And I don't expect V3 chargers to ever add longer cables. Just doesn't fit the design or specs.

However the V4's have long cable. And at least going by the initial Europe installs, they're (smartly) locating them in the center of the parking spot to reach both sides, just like a typical CCS charger. That's their solution to the short cable issue for non-Teslas... eventual V4 replacements. But that'll take years.

We might see more creative layouts at new stations though while V3's are still go in. Some are adding more side-placements, or pull-thru islands. Or a solo charger out on the side (likely intended for trailers, but whatever works).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Didn't say I never used them. I've had one use of a CCS DC Fast charger where everything went right. ONCE! THAT's, how I know. Your anecdotal evidence vs. mine.
And how many times were you unable to charge at the appropriate rate?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Magic dock is only used on DC, so no issue there. But if someone took a magic dock and plugged it into a destination charger, the DC pins would have AC on them.
Right. That will require a different adapter. There’s still a need for that Tesla Tap.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I thought Tesla stopped including the free J1772 adapter in 2022. I got one free with our '21. Tesla sells them for $50.
Maybe so. My Intel could be a year old.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
  • Cars don't stay at gas pumps long, making it possible to have 2 or more pumps on each side of each island.
  • Most charging stations aren't in gas stations. They are in parking lots.
Don’t see how the first point make a difference. Spacing of the construction is the only issue.

NOW, most charging stations are in parking lots. If this thing goes, then don’t you see charging stations that look just like gs stations sometime in the near future? I mean, that’s kind of what we all seem to want instead of the back-of-the-WalMart lot experience, right?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Does anyone know what this change means for any future V2L capability on Mach-E?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag