AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
and why do we need to wait until next spring to start using the Tesla network; seems like a long time?
Musk and Farley said that they need to work on the software integration as the reason for the need to wait a year. It seems to me that this just came about recently and I think that Farley said on CNBC this morning that they've been talking about this for the last 3 months. That would explain why the software isn't integration hasn't been done; bc up to this point all that they've been doing is talking about the integration.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think the adapter will need to provide some number of feet of cable extension to deal with the proximity problem. I have not measured it but it feels like 3 feet of cable with the adapter might fix the problem; they have to be thinking about this.
How do you deal with the fact they are liquid-cooled cables?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I used Costco gas stations almost exclusively, and my wait rarely exceeded 5 minutes.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I used Costco gas stations almost exclusively, and my wait rarely exceeded 5 minutes.
Yep. 3 deep at a gas pump is no big deal (maybe 5 minutes). 3 deep at a DCFC charger though?... Big deal. Hour wait.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Musk and Farley said that they need to work on the software integration as the reason for the need to wait a year. It seems to me that this just came about recently and I think that Farley said on CNBC this morning that they've been talking about this for the last 3 months. That would explain why the software isn't integration hasn't been done; bc up to this point all that they've been doing is talking about the integration.
Actually he said they've been working on a deal for a few years. But until a deal is signed (as apparently it just was), you generally don't want to get started on development. Talks can easily fall through with no agreement.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Actually he said they've been talking for a few years. But until a deal is signed (as apparently it just was), you generally don't want to get started on development. Talks can easily fall through with no agreement.
Correct. I'm just concerned about Ford's software development.......it leaves a lot to be desired. But I keep going back to the short cables on V3 superchargers. I was just thinking that if I'm near a EvGo or EA station that is in working order, I'm going to one of those over the V3 SC bc I don't won't to worry about trying to make my Mach E reach the cable.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
They have to design and build the adapters, and both Ford and Tesla have software development and testing to do to integrate FordPass with the Tesla network.

Tesla could probably perfect the software in 2 months. Ford, well.......
And you need to add in the random delivery of the OTA updates. They're could be queueing the new software up today to (maybe) send out in a year or so ;)

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Tesla Superchargers will also have the ability to fry the HVBJB? Asking for a friend. :p

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
There will not be 2 ports, NACS will replace CCS on Gen 2 vehicles so they will need an adapter to charge at CCS stations.
If it weren't for the charging door in the way, a 90 degree adapter would work just fine. The issue is the additional 12" or so needed to make the turn into the port.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Tesla could probably code it out in a day, for Ford. UAW might get pissy about it though.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I used to go to the Sam's Club gas station here in Riverview and Chasing Coral's point about queuing at Costco is the same for Sam's. The design of the DCFC stations should factor in some sort of queuing ratio, but we know that they don't. And that's the problem with the Sam's Club and Costco gas stations. You end up sitting in these somewhat long queuing lanes for maybe 10 to 15 mins waiting for your turn at the pump.
I’m not really sure that it’s the design of the station. It’s the volume at any one time that causes the lines. The Costco/Sam’s analogy kind of kills the dwell time answer. The prices are just really good causing a run on the station by the short dwell time ICE drivers. Even when they’re fast, there’s still long lines. I still say there’s a pull through design coming for future charging stations and I’ll just leave it at that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Correct. I'm just concerned about Ford's software development.......it leaves a lot to be desired. But I keep going back to the short cables on V3 superchargers. I was just thinking that if I'm near a EvGo or EA station that is in working order, I'm going to one of those over the V3 SC bc I don't won't to worry about trying to make my Mach E reach the cable.
Yep, I still expect to make SC's my backup, not my primary. EA has better pricing anyway (at least for now).

I'm not looking forward to the potential confrontation at a Tesla station if I have no choice but to block 2 spots to use one. Hopefully the Gen 2 vehicles use front-right corner for the NACS port.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m not really sure that it’s the design of the station. It’s the volume at any one time that causes the lines. The Costco/Sam’s analogy kind of kills the dwell time answer. The prices are just really good causing a run on the station by the short dwell time ICE drivers. Even when they’re fast, there’s still long lines. I still say there’s a pull through design coming for future charging stations and I’ll just leave it at that.
Agree on Costco volume. Although I think the point is it's just the standard pull-thru island format that nearly all gas stations use (Costco or otherwise). Those are ideal, of course (like the Baker CA EA+SC station). But they take up a lot more real estate, which adds cost. That's justified for gas because the 3-minute transaction (vs 30 minutes to charge) allows for 10x the sales volume, which is 10x the revenue, thus supports more cost (real estate, canopies, etc). Real estate is cheap in the middle of nowhere like Baker, but not in town sharing space with stores and restaurants and the other amenities that make for a good DCFC location.
Sponsored