kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
This has the potential to give Tesla access to NEVI funds.
with the two largest current suppliers of EV vehicles in the US now supporting the NACS connector there isn't much chance of NEVI's "CCS only" stance holding up - it will be revisited.

my guess is there will be a shift to NACS everywhere - there is just too much headwind to fight against for the smaller manufacturers and providers. they don't have enough volume collectively to support a second connector style for a nationwide network of chargers.
Sponsored

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I did not have time to watch the Spaces but I did see the update in FordPass.

My understanding was that Superchargers would now be part of Plug & Charge, but using a CCS adapter.

Is this really a new port on the vehicle, as sole are suggesting here? I didn’t get that impression….

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Maybe Ford pledged monetary support to expand the Tesla Charger network. Electric Cars will become as common as Gas cars when the chargers are as common as gas stations.
That would be ironic since Ford already helped Tesla fund the build out of the Supercharger when Tesla was selling legacy car makers the regulatory credits they didn't need. I do think lost in this a bit is Ford shifting to NACS in future models. That alone is the first domino to fall for all other manufacturers. Their consumers will be demanding it, if it means access to the Supercharger network. Tesla will rake in a fortune when that happens.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

My understanding was that Superchargers would now be part of Plug & Charge, but using a CCS adapter.

Is this really a new port on the vehicle, as sole are suggesting here? I didn’t get that impression….
the ford media announcement has the deets:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html

plug&charge on superchargers next spring via a NACS->CCS1 adapter if you can get the cable to reach.

Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD LR
Country flag
I'm at work right now... can't skim 32 pages... does this adapter exist yet? I'm only aware of the adapters that work with destination chargers.

I'd like to just buy one and throw it in the glove box or trunk now.

Thanks folks.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm at work right now... can't skim 32 pages... does this adapter exist yet? I'm only aware of the adapters that work with destination chargers.

I'd like to just buy one and throw it in the glove box or trunk now.

Thanks folks.
No, doesn't exist yet and would do you no good even if it did. Also requires software changes on both Ford's side and Tesla's side.

Spring 2024, if all goes according to plan.

Calgary MACH E

First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD LR
Country flag
No, doesn't exist yet and would do you no good even if it did. Also requires software changes on both Ford's side and Tesla's side.
OK appreciate it.

I'm aware it wouldn't help now. I know they'll be a rush on them when it does open though. I want to avoid that rush.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK appreciate it.

I'm aware it wouldn't help now. I know they'll be a rush on them when it does open though. I want to avoid that rush.
Tesla is going to be manufacturering the adapters. That's as much as we know for sure. Unclear whether Tesla will sell them directly to the public, whether they will just be a supplier to Ford and Ford will sell them, and/or whether Ford might "give" them to vehicle owners for free. Just speculation at this point, based on how people interpret one or two specific words in the announcements and interviews (like "provide").

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla is going to be manufacturering the adapters. That's as much as we know for sure. Unclear whether Tesla will sell them directly to the public, whether they will just be a supplier to Ford and Ford will sell them, and/or whether Ford might "give" them to vehicle owners for free. Just speculation at this point, based on how people interpret one or two specific words in the announcements and interviews (like "provide").
my guess is it's just a slight modification of the MagicDock adapter. i'm pretty sure tesla won't miss out on the revenue of selling them directly - it will also lower their need to deploy them as supercharger retrofits.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ha, you Americans should just use the European CCS standard. 😊
Well, a single standard for the continent anyway, yes. Whether it's the same across oceans (that car's can't traverse) is less important, but having dueling connectors is the classic VHS vs Betamax problem. One will practicably have to become the common standard across the continent.

For years it felt like CCS-1 would become that standard and Tesla would eventually have to relent. But that all changed Thursday. Before that I'd have put the betting odds at maybe -300 for CCS winning. Now I'd flip that to -200 for NACS winning.

sborsch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2020 Lexus NX300 Hybrid
Occupation
I.T. Consultant
Country flag
For what it’s worth @Ford Motor Company … this completely changes my angst over the state of charging infrastructure my MME can use.

In so many ways Tesla is like Apple where “it just works” since they’re vertically integrated and “own” the entire experience.

All other EVs are like Android: every maker is “doing their own thing” and therefore the experience is very disjointed and messy.

Ford and Tesla doing this changes the game. The promise is that we’ll drive in to a charging spot, there will be a dozen or more Tesla charging stations, we’ll plugin and it will just charge. Oh…and the chargers will work and the charging rate will be faster!

I’m beyond pleased and happy. Thanks Ford.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E to gain access to Tesla Superchargers! Get standard NACS port starting 2025! [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS / SOCIAL / MUSK COMMENTARY] IMG_4163

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

NACS ports on Gen2 BEVs starting MY25.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
does this adapter exist yet?
Sort of. At 8 NY and 2 CA sites, the Superchargers are equipped with Magic Docks that allow CCS1 vehicles to charge. The adapter for Fords would simply be a retooled Magic Dock designed into a smaller, simpler form factor.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We should note too that the connector itself really isn't the main issue here. Sure, it's lighter and easier to use, and less likely to break when dropped on the ground. But that in itself is pretty minor in all this. It's the network that's the big difference. Chargers that are more dependable, software that's more dependable, designs that are simpler and have fewer failure points, and above all: cost efficient. Tesla has been able to get the costs on making and installing DCFC way down vs all the other networks. Some reports suggest a whopping 2/3rds cheaper. That makes DCFC actually sustainable (or at least in the ballpark) without requiring massive taxpayer subsidies. That means more money freed up to monitor and maintain chargers as well.

The connector type is minor. It's the network that's the big deal here.
Sponsored