kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
All the hype around F150 lightning got me thinking, this should be possible. That reminds of this ad where they used the ME to power the lights, but that was using ford connected charger. So it seems like advertised but forgotten to add feature?

@Ford Motor Company can you confirm Mach E can do this?

Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Pretty sure that the on-board charger is not bi-directional so we can’t use our cars as backup power for our homes, even with the correct EVSE that would allow this. I would love to be wrong on that.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I would guess that they are not using the on-board charger. I believe systems like Nissan which they have been testing use the DC direct access to the battery and convert as necessary to connect to the home.

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
Must-have feature for me. After seeing Texas go dark for days this past February, it has changed my perspective on my family's needs for energy. No sense in have a 99 kWh lithium-ion battery sitting in my garage and we can't tap into it somehow.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
It make zero sense that the male plug would be powered AND that the breaker wouldn't pop with the feed flowing backwards. That's waaaay against code. It might be made to work if you have a 'wired in' charger and the appropriate circuitry changes to disconnect the house from the grid as the car was engaged. Without this someone working on a downed line could be killed by your car.

Once you find the cost on having this work done, you'll change your mind.

Remember, if the car is away or low on a charge, you'll be hitting the generator's switch.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe that she turned on the outlet at the 0:24 mark when she flipped the switch and then she attached the Mach-E to the charger. Also, you can see the four plugs in the outlet box and the top two are both orange/red which matches the color of the cord he is holding in his left hand with the female connector.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I believe that she turned on the outlet at the 0:24 mark when she flipped the switch and then she attached the Mach-E to the charger. Also, you can see the four plugs in the outlet box and the top two are both orange/red which matches the color of the cord he is holding in his left hand with the female connector.
They never did say the Mach E was powering anything.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
But it showed that's how they were powering the lights
Actually that was subtle. Watching it again now - she was noting that he had forgotten to flip the switch and plug in the car. Thereby all the family / neighbours thought it was the car. Situational comedy at is best /worst ;-).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
It make zero sense that the male plug would be powered AND that the breaker wouldn't pop with the feed flowing backwards. That's waaaay against code. It might be made to work if you have a 'wired in' charger and the appropriate circuitry changes to disconnect the house from the grid as the car was engaged. Without this someone working on a downed line could be killed by your car.

Once you find the cost on having this work done, you'll change your mind.

Remember, if the car is away or low on a charge, you'll be hitting the generator's switch.
It's an A/C plug, so by definition the power flows both ways. For code, the main thing is a transfer switch so that the vehicle doesn't back feed into the grid (or that you power downed lines).

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Even if they add that feature the mach E power inverter can not put out nearly same amount of power. My guess is it would be max out at MAYBE 5Kw if not even closer to the 2-3 KW range. No where close to what it would take to power part of a house. Namely not enough to power the AC unit for a home. This compared to the rather large amount of power the F150 is cranking out.

That being said I would not mind a few 120 V plugs in the mach E

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Same as if you had solar or a backup battery, could be life or death for a utility worker.
It's an A/C plug, so by definition the power flows both ways. For code, the main thing is a transfer switch so that the vehicle doesn't back feed into the grid (or that you power downed lines).