Mach-E Towing Hitch Option-who is going to be the first to offer this?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'll use my Toyota Tacoma for trailer towing -- at least until the electric F-150 comes out.
Sponsored

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I disagree completely. I plan to use mine like the one on my Leaf, primarily for carrying bicycles with the occasional rack with coolers, etc. for outings.
Agreed. However, too many people seem to be planning to tow with the Mach-e even if Ford does not rate it for towing. That's foolish, short-sighted and dangerous. If you can safely tow with the Mach-e, Ford will rate it to tow. It would be foolish of them to give up a selling point for no reason. If you're in an accident while towing with a car not rated for towing, you could be in some deep doo-doo. Many/most insurance policies specifically do not cover you for doing such a thing. Tow if you're not rated to and you likely are driving uninsured. People have lost everything they own doing stupid things like that, as well as killing and injuring innocent bystanders. If Ford rates it to tow, great. If not--don't. Yes, I know it looks to be rated to tow in Europe--1650 pounds only with trailer brakes. You're going to be hard pressed to find a light duty trailer in the US that has trailer brakes.

I'm not saying Ford won't rate it to tow. Maybe they will. I'm not saying Ford will rate it to tow; maybe they won't. I'm saying if Ford doesn't rate it to tow then don't be an idiot and tow with it anyway. And don't be an even bigger idiot and exceed it's tow capacity if it is rated to tow.

Just saying.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I could go to Kent easily enough, about 20 minutes away, but I don't really have much need for it. We were considering getting a couple of e-bikes this spring, so maybe things will change, but if its November or December before the Mach E arrives, that would not be optimal timing for that.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I disagree completely. I plan to use mine like the one on my Leaf, primarily for carrying bicycles with the occasional rack with coolers, etc. for outings.
But but but that is what the Frunk is for (coolers, etc.--not bikes unless your bikes are either tiny clown bikes or can fold up pretty small).

Hank

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Niro EV
Country flag
Hi there, greetings from Germany...

On the german website the MME is advertised with a tow capability of 750kg (1653lbs), which is the minimum i need.
No such legal tow capability when my reservation has to come to a real order, i won't subscribe.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Hank, and welcome!

I wouldn't worry about that. I'd be really, really shocked if the Mach-e didn't have some kind of towing option, especially in Europe. Probably an add on option after purchase. The only thing I'd wonder about is if it will be a hidden hitch like the Tesla Y, or a hitch under the bumper like the Tesla 3. That's just my opinion, but it seems to make sense. I can't believe Ford would be showing a towing capability in Europe now, only to take it away later.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good point, but try and get your facts straight. Add "3" after "Tesla" and you'd be correct. The X tows 5000# in the US, and the Y will be rated at 3200#. (The Y rating will come in an update in the coming months.)

Hank

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Niro EV
Country flag
I can't believe Ford would be showing a towing capability in Europe now, only to take it away later.
I'd like to believe that as well, but my experience of several years in e.-mobilty teaches me to believe nothing until i hold it in my hands...
Of course, in this case it looks quite well, but let me take this thread as a chance to point out to the FORD Co. how important a towing option especially in Europe is.
And with "towing option" i don't mean ridicolous capabilitys, like some other ev producers think they can offer as an "alibi" option.
As is said, for me those advertised 750kgs are the minimum.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Mach e will be going to Europe at the same time as it is going to the USA customers. That was detailed on this forum not too long ago in the thread about questions.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag