generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Well, not entirely accurate, it just seems a lot of the service centers are at Volvo dealerships?
If a Volvo dealership is also a Polestar Space, then they'll service both. But if it's just a Volvo dealership, they won't service Polestar. There aren't a lot of service locations for Polestar:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs. 2024 Volvo EX90 - design, specs, price 1668009021947
Sponsored

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
After my exp w my 2016 XC90 I have no doubt this will be the absolute best lux EV

And will be riddled with nonsense issues

Volvo dealers... Or their service techs departments are NOT ready to support EVs. They barely can service the tech in their current lineup.

You think Ford is dubious...
This answers some of the concerns but this doesn't cover all the pitfalls
If a Volvo dealership is also a Polestar Space, then they'll service both. But if it's just a Volvo dealership, they won't service Polestar. There aren't a lot of service locations for Polestar:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs. 2024 Volvo EX90 - design, specs, price 1668009021947
Back when we had our Volvo we got better support from third party shops.
The Austin Volvo Polestar dealership has some good people but not everyone is on board with BEVs this will continue for many years.

$80K is a little high IMO but Polestar/Geely is making some nice stuff with Volvos design help. I think they will win in the long run.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
After my exp w my 2016 XC90 I have no doubt this will be the absolute best lux EV

And will be riddled with nonsense issues

Volvo dealers... Or their service techs departments are NOT ready to support EVs. They barely can service the tech in their current lineup.

You think Ford is dubious...
I completely agree. I looked at getting a lightly used PHEV XC 90 with super low miles before I bought my Mach E. Wow the issues posted and discussed as well as reliability surveys were terrible. They do give you a warranty but so many issues.

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
I purchased my 2016 XC90 w low miles CPO and I paid 2600$ for a extended CPO.

After a bit over 2 years I had over 12k of warranty work done to it. All that AND it still randomly shook where it felt like a BAD warped rotor... But it wasn't it would go away if you literally smashed quickly on the breaks a few times.

That issue I feel was either a bad master cyclnder that was spazzing out OR something to do with auto drive emergency collision tech. But they could 'never duplicate it' and they in total drove my car as their car for nearly a total of a month.

When I got it, I paid for the upgrade to level 2 auntomous driving as the 16s only did it up to a useless 35mph.

I have 2 Volvo dealers within 20min drive, rare... The place I took it had NEVER done a paid feature upgrade on any model. They got it done after botching it once... And. Taking nearly 6 hours for a software upgrade.

All other work was then done as the 'upgraded renovated' dealer. They seemed a little more on the know but still never dug into anything that way tech related.

big things done: drive axle replaced, seals bore and rebuild for internal oil consumption, cat converter replaced w O2 sensor died and was fused into the cat. Alternator bearings shot (this was during the only road trip I dared take this thing on so it was fixed in NC) and a myriad of other things.

It was a loaded T6 inscription awd w polestar upgrade and every option available even the b&o sound system. I loved the style look feel drive and everything about the car... It just was a lemon, and I was not alone.

IF they hit that price its better than a model X. And I hope they get their stuff together as I think volvos are georgious and nice cars... But they are not your 300k w oil change only Volvo wagons of yesteryear

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
I purchased my 2016 XC90 w low miles CPO and I paid 2600$ for a extended CPO.

After a bit over 2 years I had over 12k of warranty work done to it. All that AND it still randomly shook where it felt like a BAD warped rotor... But it wasn't it would go away if you literally smashed quickly on the breaks a few times.

That issue I feel was either a bad master cyclnder that was spazzing out OR something to do with auto drive emergency collision tech. But they could 'never duplicate it' and they in total drove my car as their car for nearly a total of a month.

When I got it, I paid for the upgrade to level 2 auntomous driving as the 16s only did it up to a useless 35mph.

I have 2 Volvo dealers within 20min drive, rare... The place I took it had NEVER done a paid feature upgrade on any model. They got it done after botching it once... And. Taking nearly 6 hours for a software upgrade.

All other work was then done as the 'upgraded renovated' dealer. They seemed a little more on the know but still never dug into anything that way tech related.

big things done: drive axle replaced, seals bore and rebuild for internal oil consumption, cat converter replaced w O2 sensor died and was fused into the cat. Alternator bearings shot (this was during the only road trip I dared take this thing on so it was fixed in NC) and a myriad of other things.

It was a loaded T6 inscription awd w polestar upgrade and every option available even the b&o sound system. I loved the style look feel drive and everything about the car... It just was a lemon, and I was not alone.

IF they hit that price its better than a model X. And I hope they get their stuff together as I think volvos are georgious and nice cars... But they are not your 300k w oil change only Volvo wagons of yesteryear
That's quite horrifying. On the other hand, I wonder if Volvo EVs will have fewer issues than their ICE counterparts because of less mechanical complexity (although it sounds like you had quite a few electrical issues too)?

JuneauMachE

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Escape, 2017 Focus EV, Mach E Select On Order
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Looks like a Subaru Forestr with an updated front end.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It’s not bad looking. Seems kinda expensive for a base price given the specs (Volvos get very expensive with options, and this does NOT look like a $100k vehicle to me).

0-60 in 5.7 also seems slow given the power and price.

People mentioned R1S as a competitor but that’s not even remotely close to a competitor on performance. Like comparing a regular Honda Civic to a Corvette.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s not bad looking. Seems kinda expensive for a base price given the specs (Volvos get very expensive with options, and this does NOT look like a $100k vehicle to me).

0-60 in 5.7 also seems slow given the power and price.

People mentioned R1S as a competitor but that’s not even remotely close to a competitor on performance. Like comparing a regular Honda Civic to a Corvette.
I'm the one who mentioned the R1S. Agreed that the R1S has much higher performance numbers (and a higher starting price) but there are only a couple 3-row EV SUVs right now.

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
My wife already put in a pre-order deposit… 💸

I too am directly comparing this to an R1S - not for power; capacity is my measuring stick. The two are within +\- 4” all around - so once I can compare interior volumes I’ll have a better idea.

Honestly, depending on which one comes to market** first will be the one we actually buy. Also this will likely have CarPlay… so there is that too.

** my availability window is Jan-Dec ‘24 for my reserved R1S, I know they’re out, but mine is not out yet.

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There aren't many 3 row EVs... R1S, Model X, and one MB EV, right?

EV9 is vaporware. VF9 is even worse since there haven't been known test drives (VF8 has had reviews).

The BMW iX is not a 3-row SUV. Too small. Closer to a PoleStar 3 or Lyriq.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There aren't many 3 row EVs... R1S, Model X, and one MB EV, right?

EV9 is vaporware. VF9 is even worse since there haven't been known test drives (VF8 has had reviews).

The BMW iX is not a 3-row SUV. Too small. Closer to a PoleStar 3 or Lyriq.
Correct! I think you named all the 3-row EV SUVs that come to mind. Forgot about the VF9. :D

I'm holding out for an EV9! And it's not vaporware. Kia seems to be making good progress actually.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2023-kia-ev9-spied-as-reveal-nears

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Don't they have to service Polestar too?
No, others have covered this already, but the lack of nearby service centers for Polestar was a major reason why I don't own one today.

Looks like a Subaru Forestr with an updated front end.
I love the design language that Volvo (and Polestar for that matter) have been using in recent years. They nail interior design with small quality touches and proper minimalism. But everybody's got their own likes. I think Tesla's exteriors have gotten progressively more ugly since the dashing S.

I'd probably say I prefer the XC90 backend over this, but I only glanced at the release media.

That's quite horrifying. On the other hand, I wonder if Volvo EVs will have fewer issues than their ICE counterparts because of less mechanical complexity (although it sounds like you had quite a few electrical issues too)?
I believe Volvo's reliability issues are somewhat overblown. Actual cost measurements put the XC60, for example, in the top half of luxury SUVs in its size.
https://repairpal.com/reliability/volvo/xc60

For anecdotal experience, I've got a 2019 XC60 that I've put over 50,000 miles on. It's needed repair to the air suspension and catalytic converter, which were thankfully both covered by warranty, because they would've been pretty costly.

Seems kinda expensive for a base price given the specs (Volvos get very expensive with options
An XC90 Hybrid starts at $72k and "well equipped" (even without the $3200 sound system) is going to put you around $85k. They tend to have quite a range from bottom to top, so I'd expect to see the same with the EX90.

As far as expensive for what it is? Not to me. This vehicle is being touted for the amount of safety tech they're debuting in it, and that's not a trivial cost.

Bottom line is that the EX90 isn't for me, but it's an exciting vehicle to see Volvo coming out with. If they can use it to drive that technology into the smaller vehicles, I could be a buyer.

ComMache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Wonder why they chose to put the charging port on the rear quarter panel? Our charger at home would not reach around the vehicle and all the way to the rear.

We have the XC90 recharge, and would consider this vehicle in the future otherwise.