Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve been waiting for a 3-row SUV. I put a deposit on the EX90, but could end up with the EV9 or Ioniq 7.

I watched the reveal, and was impressed with the tech and features. I‘m also a supporter of Volvo’s mission and sustainability goals.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
No, others have covered this already, but the lack of nearby service centers for Polestar was a major reason why I don't own one today.

I love the design language that Volvo (and Polestar for that matter) have been using in recent years. They nail interior design with small quality touches and proper minimalism. But everybody's got their own likes. I think Tesla's exteriors have gotten progressively more ugly since the dashing S.

I'd probably say I prefer the XC90 backend over this, but I only glanced at the release media.

I believe Volvo's reliability issues are somewhat overblown. Actual cost measurements put the XC60, for example, in the top half of luxury SUVs in its size.
https://repairpal.com/reliability/volvo/xc60

For anecdotal experience, I've got a 2019 XC60 that I've put over 50,000 miles on. It's needed repair to the air suspension and catalytic converter, which were thankfully both covered by warranty, because they would've been pretty costly.

An XC90 Hybrid starts at $72k and "well equipped" (even without the $3200 sound system) is going to put you around $85k. They tend to have quite a range from bottom to top, so I'd expect to see the same with the EX90.

As far as expensive for what it is? Not to me. This vehicle is being touted for the amount of safety tech they're debuting in it, and that's not a trivial cost.

Bottom line is that the EX90 isn't for me, but it's an exciting vehicle to see Volvo coming out with. If they can use it to drive that technology into the smaller vehicles, I could be a buyer.
Actually the 2023 XC90 hybrid starts at $56,000.

$80k is a significant jump.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Is it going to be built in China?
Negative. According to Autoblog " Examples of the EX90 bound for the U.S. market will be produced at Volvo’s factory in Ridgeville, South Carolina. "

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks nice. Stole a lot of interior elements from the Mach-E. 80k though. Oof.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
What does this entail? LIDAR + GPU would put driver assistance tech above the mach-e potentially.
could go into the 80k price tag.
It'll be Level 3 driving assistance called Ride Pilot, so it is more advanced than the Mach-E's Level 2/Level 2.5 ability. I'll update the OP.

Will this be the first EV on sale to have LIDAR and Level 3 capability?

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Actually the 2023 XC90 hybrid starts at $56,000.

$80k is a significant jump.
Not really. While Volvo likes to call that one a "mild hybrid" because it's got a 48V battery, if you go to their site they have two options: Gas @ 56k and Hybrid @ 72k.

That actual hybrid, that you can charge by plugging in, is what I was referencing because it's a step closer to the EX90.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Too slow and not enough range for that price IMO. With a battery that size and purported HP numbers, it doesn’t make sense in comparison to the competition. I’d hold out for an R1S for sure.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Like the Polestar 3, the interior is very Mach-E inspired. I do wish there were more physical buttons and interfaces though.

I love the update to the Audi Q8 e-tron but do wish they removed the gloss black and updated the infotainment system and screen to be larger.

Either way, I'm happy to see an increase in larger EV SUV's on the market.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Negative. According to Autoblog " Examples of the EX90 bound for the U.S. market will be produced at Volvo’s factory in Ridgeville, South Carolina. "
CNBC reported this same information. 😊🐩

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
I had a XC90 T6 Inscription, it had all of that.

Want to know something that I still haven't gotten over from it to my mache? The stupid turn signal arm plastic meeting point where on the other side arm is the rear wiper flip switch.... On the Volvo, no seams, and the arms were curved to match your common hand position when interacting with them.

As you said its the little things. Teslas are no S class Benz, that's my point, and I think yours.

The volvo, if keeping on par with the current xc90 will be a better more luxury ev suv full size than the model x. More than the etron and jag imo also.

The wool seats from Volvo are actually their current high end option.

I just am dubious of their support for EVs but this thing is 2024 and a lot can happen in a year and a half

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I purchased my 2016 XC90 w low miles CPO and I paid 2600$ for a extended CPO.

After a bit over 2 years I had over 12k of warranty work done to it. All that AND it still randomly shook where it felt like a BAD warped rotor... But it wasn't it would go away if you literally smashed quickly on the breaks a few times.

That issue I feel was either a bad master cyclnder that was spazzing out OR something to do with auto drive emergency collision tech. But they could 'never duplicate it' and they in total drove my car as their car for nearly a total of a month.

When I got it, I paid for the upgrade to level 2 auntomous driving as the 16s only did it up to a useless 35mph.

I have 2 Volvo dealers within 20min drive, rare... The place I took it had NEVER done a paid feature upgrade on any model. They got it done after botching it once... And. Taking nearly 6 hours for a software upgrade.

All other work was then done as the 'upgraded renovated' dealer. They seemed a little more on the know but still never dug into anything that way tech related.

big things done: drive axle replaced, seals bore and rebuild for internal oil consumption, cat converter replaced w O2 sensor died and was fused into the cat. Alternator bearings shot (this was during the only road trip I dared take this thing on so it was fixed in NC) and a myriad of other things.

It was a loaded T6 inscription awd w polestar upgrade and every option available even the b&o sound system. I loved the style look feel drive and everything about the car... It just was a lemon, and I was not alone.

IF they hit that price its better than a model X. And I hope they get their stuff together as I think volvos are georgious and nice cars... But they are not your 300k w oil change only Volvo wagons of yesteryear
I've had my 2019 XC90 for 3 ½ years and so far all I've had done was replacing warped front rotors under warranty. So crossing fingers they have improved.

I'd still wait a year to see how the new platform shakes out. Look how long it took for our beloved HVBJB issue to be fully identified and..."fixed".

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
I've had my 2019 XC90 for 3 ½ years and so far all I've had done was replacing warped front rotors under warranty. So crossing fingers they have improved.

I'd still wait a year to see how the new platform shakes out. Look how long it took for our beloved HVBJB issue to be fully identified and..."fixed".
I hope so, and I am glad your Volvo is doing well! I was anxious about the delivery and purchase process of my mach e and then I said to myself 'worst case I walk out and I have to drive a Volvo xc90 and have the bowers and Wilkins stereo drowned out my tears‘ total 1st world problems
Sponsored