PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
So I ordered my MME Select RWD SR on 4/5/22 right before the order book closed. I 100% figure that my order will get flipped into a MY23.

Here is my issue - my current lease is up on 2/20/23 and I'd rather not have to purchase it to then sell it when the car comes in and I have a concern that it isn't going to be in on time.

I'm thinking I'm going to do an order/deposit on a 23 Bolt EUV.

Since I'm comparing the MME Select to the Bolt Premier - HP & Range is just about the same. From what I've read the MME can charge a bit faster on DC but other than that they seem to be very similar.

I am wondering if anyone else has put in an order as a backup option and what sort of timelines were you given. Also if anyone else has done a deeper comparison I'd be interested to know.

The 10k less is nice savings.

Thanks

Edit / Addition - 8-8-22
Thank you to everyone that has replied / given input - Just wanted to give an update/recap
'22 Mach-E Select RWD SR - Red - No Other Options - Ordered 4/5/2022 - Estimated 32+ Weeks - No ETA as of 8/8/2022
'23 Bolt EUV Premier - Red - with Lightup charge port - Ordered 8/8/2022 - 2nd in line at dealer - order status 1100 ORDER PLACED AT DEALERSHIP / PRELIMINARY ORDER ACCEPTED

Now we will wait and see which one I can get first - Based on performance / "wow" I'd prefer the MME - based on price I'd prefer the Bolt - but at this point I feel I will be happy with either one.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Marcel

I agree the bolt is shorter(16") and slimmer(4") - which does translate to 16.3 cubic feet vs 29.7

I currently have a Honda Accord which is at 16.7 in the trunk so that doesn't affect me much.

From what I read the MME has a much "Sportier" ride which is to be expected.

Since I have not had an opportunity to test drive either one - and I've seen a couple of the MME on the road this is why I was looking for what others have done.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My Bolt lease was up when I picked up the Mach-E (granted this is just the Bolt EV and not the slightly larger EUV but I think the comparisons are still valid).

Bolt is basically an "economy car" and Mach-E is a "sports car". Thus ride in Mach-E is "harsher" but more sporty and sticky. Mach-E is RWD (or AWD) vs FWD in the Bolt (thus if you gun it the Mach-E will feel sportier as the Bolt's front end will pop up significantly). The Mach-E you ordered will likely be slightly faster (my CA Rt1 Mach-E has about the same 0-60 time as the Bolt I had.)

Bolt you can tow on a dolly (if you've ever even considered that) because of the FWD. Mach-E cannot be towed on any wheels (even the RWD version).

No maps in the Bolt, even on the premier. GM figures you'll just use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto anyway. Thus there isn't any navigation integration like FordPass does (there is an app that you can use to remote start, etc. similar to FordPass but you can't send a destination to a non-existent nav system in the car).

Bolt does have OnStar--push the blue button and talk to someone. There is a tiered up charge to that for various features of it (I never used OnStar at all).

Oh and the Mach-E looks 1000% better ;)

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@JamieGeek
Thank you - that hit on many of the questions I had/have
1) Maps - I don't have a nav in my current car - I use CarPlay - so that is fine - and it is my understanding that CarPlay has /will add charging stops when linked with an EV

2) The Accord is FWD so that will be the same as what I have now - I was reading that because the Bolt does not have the FRUNK - but I'm not sure if I would use it anyways.

I agree based on looks the MME is much better.

Based on what I've read and you've shared here it sounds like while not a perfect alt. it would make sense as a backup order

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
@JamieGeek
Thank you - that hit on many of the questions I had/have
1) Maps - I don't have a nav in my current car - I use CarPlay - so that is fine - and it is my understanding that CarPlay has /will add charging stops when linked with an EV

2) The Accord is FWD so that will be the same as what I have now - I was reading that because the Bolt does not have the FRUNK - but I'm not sure if I would use it anyways.

I agree based on looks the MME is much better.

Based on what I've read and you've shared here it sounds like while not a perfect alt. it would make sense as a backup order
Bolt doesn't have a frunk isn't because its FWD (AWD Mach-E's still have a frunk).

No frunk on Bolt because it has a very short hood.
Ford Mustang Mach-E mach e vs chevy bolt euv - Thoughts??? bolthoodopen

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
@Marcel

I agree the bolt is shorter(16") and slimmer(4") - which does translate to 16.3 cubic feet vs 29.7

I currently have a Honda Accord which is at 16.7 in the trunk so that doesn't affect me much.

From what I read the MME has a much "Sportier" ride which is to be expected.

Since I have not had an opportunity to test drive either one - and I've seen a couple of the MME on the road this is why I was looking for what others have done.
If the deposit on the Bolt is refundable why not go ahead and punt the decision? In the meantime try to test drive the two to determine which will best suit your needs.

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@JamieGeek
Wow that looks clean and organized - I recall some folks saying the MME felt like the designers were getting paid by the inch of wiring based on how they routed some of the setup.

@TGIF

I'm double checking later today but yes I believe it is refundable - same $500 - If I had seen reports / feedback that it wasn't even worth my time for whatever reason then I was going to pass

Right now I'm leaning to putting in the order and seeing which is coming in sooner

I had been thinking about the Tesla - but given the fact that it is not refundable and it's not like I can go to a different dealer if I don't like the service - I'm not even looking at that now

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
One other thing to consider is if you plan to take your vehicle on any longer range trips. The slower DC charging on the Bolt will make those very painful, about twice the time as compared to the Mach-e (think 60+ minutes per stop vs 30ish for the Mach-e).

My Father has a Bolt and took it on one road trips. Refuses to do it again.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
My wife's car was a Chevy Volt. It was a really good vehicle. We test drove the Bolt as she was interested in trading, but after 10 minutes behind the wheel we both knew it was not the vehicle for us. I suggest you test drive before you place an order.

Gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CR1 Mach-E AWD
Country flag
From a former owner of two Bolts (19 & 21). There are a bunch of differences. Don't think you can really compare. The MME quality is much better than the Bolt. IMO, the extra cost is worth it for the quality alone....

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@nvabill
Thank you for the videos - The battery issue was something that gave me pause - and part of the reason I would only get the MY23 Bolt EUV.

That said one could make the argument against the MME due to the HVBJB issues - although I believe the issue is limited to the GT trim.

I found the Electric Viking video you posted the most interesting - especially to the point of why aren't more people purchasing it - but I think this also says a lot about US vs International auto purchases

@sotek2345
The longest trip we do is to Disney which is 176 miles one way and we usually stop at one of the rest stops already - so I would just plugin while we were stopped - couldn't do round trip on a charge but otherwise should be ok

@DYohn
Thank you for that comment - I'm curious what you found about the Bolt that you didn't like??

@Gold
Thank you - I know you've been having some issues with your BlueCruise up in the Tampa / Orlando area - but otherwise it seems you are happy with the car. I'm not getting the BlueCruise so that won't be an issue - Do you think the Bolt EUV is closer to the MME vs the earlier Bolt or do you think they are still very different
Sponsored