Mach e vs. I-Pace

CobraKaiSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro, CX-9
Country flag
So the 20k discount my jaguar dealer is offering on the ipace is tempting. The main reason i never considered one was because of the premium price closer to 80k for one and the jaguar reputation for being in the shop a lot. The discount brings the price a lot closer to the mach e for me and i think the i pace looks really nice and has some great performance evidently. One of my hesitations is resale value- they are only offering this discount on a purchase and not a lease and i have some serious concerns about the i pace sinking like a stone in resale value. whenever we buy an electric car there's always that question of whether it's going to wind up being a dud that no one wants a few years from now (ELR, Volt, etc.). My reason i'm likely sticking with the mach e is the interesting lease type product that they are talking about with it and the large screen in the interior and overall more tech. i like that ford is really trying to create a Tesla fighter here and the ipace is basically a BEV Evoque- not a bad thing but the tech with the ford could be great. i'm also worried the Ford will be a dud but at least the lease option limits the amount of loss i'll experience. curious what you all think? If anyone mentions Trump or the virus i'll lose my mind! Thoughts?
Sponsored

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
I, too was interested in an I-Pace, as I prefer the cab-forward design. Unfortunately, when I enquired as to buying one, I was offered a price of full M$RP, with no discount (Sacramento, CA region). I'm keeping my Mach-E reservation.

OP
OP
CobraKaiSG

CobraKaiSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro, CX-9
Country flag
I, too was interested in an I-Pace, as I prefer the cab-forward design. Unfortunately, when I enquired as to buying one, I was offered a price of full M$RP, with no discount (Sacramento, CA region). I'm keeping my Mach-E reservation.
not sure how long ago you looked but maybe check again? they offered me 20k off no questions asked in addition to the 7500 rebate. my only real concern is the resale value - the i pace doesn't seem to be that successful. i don't think i've ever seen one on the road

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
not sure how long ago you looked but maybe check again? they offered me 20k off no questions asked in addition to the 7500 rebate. my only real concern is the resale value - the i pace doesn't seem to be that successful. i don't think i've ever seen one on the road
I asked for the price on May 1st, expecting a discount. Didn't get it, so I'm done with Jaguar.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Wondering if that is a national promotion or just varies dealer to dealer? 20k is prob off of the top of the line models. If it was on the lower end $70k models, it would bring the cost in line with the Mach-E Premium at $50k range. I would look into it if it was the case. If its just $85k -> $65k...its still 15k above my existing reservation.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just checked my local Jaguar dealerships. They are clearing out 2019. $25k off the MSRP with models in the $72-89k range, which pulls it down to $48-64k range. Was tempted but boss wifey said "There must be a reason why the discount is so big, if no one else wants it, why should I? Stick with the Mach-E" ... senses got slapped back in my head.

OP
OP
CobraKaiSG

CobraKaiSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro, CX-9
Country flag
I also
Just checked my local Jaguar dealerships. They are clearing out 2019. $25k off the MSRP with models in the $72-89k range, which pulls it down to $48-64k range. Was tempted but boss wifey said "There must be a reason why the discount is so big, if no one else wants it, why should I? Stick with the Mach-E" ... senses got slapped back in my head.
I agree- i like the big screen with the ford, the over the air updates is a big plus for me and the fact that leases are so high on the i pace and discounts for sales are so big that it tells me that even they are expecting a lot of depreciation on the i pace. there's only so much you can do about depreciation and if you love a car and it makes you happy, to hell with the depreciation to some extent but it just seems like a lot of EV's come out and wind up being something that no one wants 2 years later. so far i'm sticking with the mach e.

Reactions: abr

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Nobody really knows how much a new model will depreciate. The same could happen to the ME. EVs are particularly subject to depreciation given the very rapid advances in battery technology. The only EV that's avoided this is Tesla. In fact Tesla has better resale than most any ICE car. Reputation and the incredible SC network goes a long way to explaining this. My S is about 3 years old and I bought it for just a shade under $70,000. I also got the tax credits, fed & state, so that brought it down to about $61,000. Jaguar gave me $46,500, so I didn't do too badly at all. These credits go a long way to fighting depreciation.

Now there's no way the I-Pace or ME will hold its value like Tesla, but hey, I'm getting close to $20,000 off of sticker plus another $8,000+ in tax credits. That brings down my real cost to about $58,000. That's a lot of 'built-in' depreciation I can absorb. So I'm not at all worried about resale given how much I've gotten in breaks on this car already. People often don't factor these things in.

OP
OP
CobraKaiSG

CobraKaiSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro, CX-9
Country flag
Nobody really knows how much a new model will depreciate. The same could happen to the ME. EVs are particularly subject to depreciation given the very rapid advances in battery technology. The only EV that's avoided this is Tesla. In fact Tesla has better resale than most any ICE car. Reputation and the incredible SC network goes a long way to explaining this. My S is about 3 years old and I bought it for just a shade under $70,000. I also got the tax credits, fed & state, so that brought it down to about $61,000. Jaguar gave me $46,500, so I didn't do too badly at all. These credits go a long way to fighting depreciation.

Now there's no way the I-Pace or ME will hold its value like Tesla, but hey, I'm getting close to $20,000 off of sticker plus another $8,000+ in tax credits. That brings down my real cost to about $58,000. That's a lot of 'built-in' depreciation I can absorb. So I'm not at all worried about resale given how much I've gotten in breaks on this car already. People often don't factor these things in.
i agree- most of these cars seem to depreciate a lot (look at the i8!) and it's hard to argue with that much of a discount. you just have to buy what you like at the end of the day. i think ford is giving me too much time to think! I may wind up finding something i like better. So far i'm still hanging in there! enjoy

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cobra, that's exactly what happened to me. My wait was going to be on the order of 1 year. I'm not that kind of guy that can wait for something he's really looking forward to.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
i agree- most of these cars seem to depreciate a lot (look at the i8!)
Is that depreciation, or was it just VASTLY overvalued to begin with? ;)

i8 is like a luxury Chevy Volt but with less electric range, for 5 times the price.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just a note for those that might not be aware. The I-Pace now gets OTA updates for many of the modules & systems in the car. There was a relatively recent update that allowed many systems in the car to be updated via OTA firmware improvements. So it behaves, in this respect, much like the ME and the Tesla. I suspect Tesla still leads the pack in terms of how ubiquitous these OTA updates are in terms of hitting so many aspects of the car.

Hopefully unlike the Tesla, these OTA updates won't fix 2 things and break something else. ;)

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I would put it in the i-pace into vastly overpriced category, obviously personal option but of all the BEV's I think it easily the best looking and the cab forward design helps, every mid engine super / hyper car is cab forward so can't see the put of showing the cab back miles to account for a non existent engine. waste of space having a long hood / bonnet when it can be better utilized for the interior dimensions.

I just so happened to be in the LA area during the LA auto show when when the concept was first shown, inquired about price and was told expect to be close to a fully spec f-pace which at the time was around 60, so expected it to be in the 60 to 70k range with options.

Once pictures of the mules started doing the rounds and it was obvious that the concept had not been watered down much, I put my name down. Then when it finally comes out is was 80k and once you add some needed options you where north of 100k, needless to say at that point I lost all interest.

The mach-e exterior has design issues to my eyes, but as long as ford don't fall back into bad habits and cheapen the interior with low quality materials like they always seem to have a habit of doing to with USA models, it has the same nice minimalist design I liked about the I-pace interior, vs what you get with a model 3 / Y where minimalism is used as excuses to cut costs and remove needed functionality. So even with potential further price drops on the i-pace for now I will be keeping hold of my mach-e reservation.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I totally agree on overpriced based on full MSRP and that’s why it was never really on my radar. However with them commonly offering $20,000 off of MSRP, it’s definitely not overpriced IMO, especially with its design & looks.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Well it certainly is tempting :), Interesting that if I go to the build configuration that a similar spec to what used to be north of 100k is now in the high 80k, still a bit rich for my blood for what is going to end up as my commuter / local trips vehicle.,

Still it does look really good on the 22" wheels, something ford need to add to the mach-e, sure they don't help with range but when you can get a ford puma with 19" wheels the mach-e really needs a 21" option to fill out the arches, with the extended arch cladding used on the mach-e 22" will probably look a bit off..
Sponsored