Mach-E vs ICE cars: Escape, Edge, HR-V, CR-V, C-HR, RAV4, Trax, Equinox, Crosstek, Forester, Rogue

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think the Toyota RAV4 Prime is a problem for the Mach-E and comparable EVs. With a price of around $30k, 39mi of battery-only range and a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds, it's difficult to make an argument that the Mach-E is better.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo
Country flag
I think the Toyota RAV4 Prime is a problem for the Mach-E and comparable EVs. With a price of around $30k, 39mi of battery-only range and a 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds, it's difficult to make an argument that the Mach-E is better.
We are planning to buy the RAV4 Prime for my wife this summer, so are looking very closely at it. The price may indeed be close to $30k after federal tax credits and state rebates, but most people at the RAV4 forum (most of whom are RAV4 owners) think that the starting price for lower trim of the RAV4 Prime will be at least $40k, and some are betting closer to $45k. Also, the 39 miles of electric-only range claimed by Toyota still has to be confirmed by real-world testing once it comes out. But I agree that the RAV4 Prime is a competitor as a plugin SUV to the Mach-E, even if it is only a PHEV. The RAV4 Prime will have a 17.8-kWh battery, and as such it will be eligible for the full $7500 federal tax credit (and many state plugin-vehicle rebates) just as the Mach-E will be.

Machemark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, Prius
Country flag
We are planning to buy the RAV4 Prime for my wife this summer, so are looking very closely at it. The price may indeed be close to $30k after federal tax credits and state rebates, but most people at the RAV4 forum (most of whom are RAV4 owners) think that the starting price for lower trim of the RAV4 Prime will be at least $40k, and some are betting closer to $45k. Also, the 39 miles of electric-only range claimed by Toyota still has to be confirmed by real-world testing once it comes out. But I agree that the RAV4 Prime is a competitor as a plugin SUV to the Mach-E, even if it is only a PHEV. The RAV4 Prime will have a 17.8-kWh battery, and as such it will be eligible for the full $7500 federal tax credit (and many state plugin-vehicle rebates) just as the Mach-E will be.
We're planning on buying a Rav4 Prime as well, most likely in the fall. We were looking at the Hybrid, but if the tax credits pan out it may end up being cheaper....or at least very close.

My hope is that it starts around 40k. But just like Ford if the tax credit is offered, it may inflate the price a bit.

The Prime would be our road trip car and her commuter.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And don't forget the Ford Escape PHEV coming out this year too.

https://www.motor1.com/news/389241/ford-escape-plugin-hybrid-pricing/

And if Ford decided to sell the Explorer PHEV in the US, that would be tempting as well.

I need to look more at the Escape PHEV. We've been Escape owners since 2001, and love the vehicles. We owned two 2001's, and now own two 2013's. Even though my plan was to go with a pure BEV to complement one ICE Escape, a PHEV would really accomplish the same thing since we rarely drive more than 20 miles/day around home.

My main reasons for going pure BEV with one of our vehicles was to minimize maintenance costs and trouble. And to maximize the efficiency of the powertrain. It just seems like including the space and weight for both powertrains would be half-assing each one, producing weaker performance than just one or the other. But maybe that's a bad assumption.
Sponsored